STD Tuning Engine 300D Budget Build

300D Budget Build

300D Budget Build

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

240Steez
Naturally-aspirated

03-26-2014, 09:01 PM #1
Hi, Newbie here. I posted a while back about possibly putting a turbo on my 240D approaching 300k. Realized the trouble I was asking for, and resorted to an OM617 NA.

Found an '84 with an NA 5 Cyl that a friend is willing to sell the engine out of for cheap. I plan on rebuilding it and skipping right past a Garret T3 to a VGT (Still looking for turbo recommendations).

The only problem with this build is that I'm a broke ass college freshman as of September. I'm looking to push as much power out of this engine as possible. I need to know the tried and true ways of doing so. The engine already lacks A/C so I'm willing to replace the condenser with an air to air Intercooler.

My main questions include:

Anything that MUST be gone over/rebuilt during this?

Realistically, how much can an MW pump be tuned to handle?

What VGT's/VNT's are often used for this? I want as much low end torque as possible.

What mods will I need to make in order to safely turbo the originally NA 617?

Benchmarks for ground cam hp gains on a turbo 617?

Will a 617 bolt straight up to the 4 speed from my 616?

Any better Pinion/Ring gears for my rear? Preferably a Chassis correct rear for compatibility.

Source for new pistons, bearings, and con rods?

I've looked around a lot of the big MB forums and you guys seem to be the most knowledgeable about squeezing every pony out of the 61X's. Any response is a help, Thanks!
240Steez
03-26-2014, 09:01 PM #1

Hi, Newbie here. I posted a while back about possibly putting a turbo on my 240D approaching 300k. Realized the trouble I was asking for, and resorted to an OM617 NA.

Found an '84 with an NA 5 Cyl that a friend is willing to sell the engine out of for cheap. I plan on rebuilding it and skipping right past a Garret T3 to a VGT (Still looking for turbo recommendations).

The only problem with this build is that I'm a broke ass college freshman as of September. I'm looking to push as much power out of this engine as possible. I need to know the tried and true ways of doing so. The engine already lacks A/C so I'm willing to replace the condenser with an air to air Intercooler.

My main questions include:

Anything that MUST be gone over/rebuilt during this?

Realistically, how much can an MW pump be tuned to handle?

What VGT's/VNT's are often used for this? I want as much low end torque as possible.

What mods will I need to make in order to safely turbo the originally NA 617?

Benchmarks for ground cam hp gains on a turbo 617?

Will a 617 bolt straight up to the 4 speed from my 616?

Any better Pinion/Ring gears for my rear? Preferably a Chassis correct rear for compatibility.

Source for new pistons, bearings, and con rods?

I've looked around a lot of the big MB forums and you guys seem to be the most knowledgeable about squeezing every pony out of the 61X's. Any response is a help, Thanks!

ShaggyDiesel
Let the Wookie win

03-26-2014, 10:21 PM #2
Welcome, I'm new here as well and found the folks here are very knowledgable, I'm used to the diesel truck world and while owning my CD since '97 I never really seriously moded it with the exception of some mild tuning. This summer I'm starting a complete build up using a newer engine OM617 turbo with a MW ip.

At any rate you might as suggested to me start by looking at this thread, it explains in detail how the MW and M injector pumps work. The second thread has links to Dieselmenken's budget build which is just fantastic, I suggest subscribing to the youtube page. Past that as stated to me spend some time reading through this site, Forcedinduction as abrasive as he can be has some great knowledge on these engines, as well as many others located here.

http://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/Thre...ump-theory

http://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/Thre...this-board
This post was last modified: 03-26-2014, 10:22 PM by ShaggyDiesel.

All gave some, Some gave it all ~ 9/11 Never Forget

People shouldn't fear their Government, The Government should fear its people.
ShaggyDiesel
03-26-2014, 10:21 PM #2

Welcome, I'm new here as well and found the folks here are very knowledgable, I'm used to the diesel truck world and while owning my CD since '97 I never really seriously moded it with the exception of some mild tuning. This summer I'm starting a complete build up using a newer engine OM617 turbo with a MW ip.

At any rate you might as suggested to me start by looking at this thread, it explains in detail how the MW and M injector pumps work. The second thread has links to Dieselmenken's budget build which is just fantastic, I suggest subscribing to the youtube page. Past that as stated to me spend some time reading through this site, Forcedinduction as abrasive as he can be has some great knowledge on these engines, as well as many others located here.

http://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/Thre...ump-theory

http://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/Thre...this-board

All gave some, Some gave it all ~ 9/11 Never Forget

People shouldn't fear their Government, The Government should fear its people.

yankneck696
Build it so strong & blow it up good !!!

03-29-2014, 07:29 AM #3
FI has some great MIS-information. The MW pump theory is the only thread you need to tune the pump.

Ed
This post was last modified: 03-29-2014, 07:38 AM by yankneck696.
yankneck696
03-29-2014, 07:29 AM #3

FI has some great MIS-information. The MW pump theory is the only thread you need to tune the pump.

Ed

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average