STD Tuning Drivetrain w201 lost 3rd gear

w201 lost 3rd gear

w201 lost 3rd gear

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

buzzboy
K26-2

03-09-2014, 01:58 PM #1
My friend's got an 85 190D 5speed. A week or so ago the car started getting harder and harder to put in 3rd gear and then it started popping out of 3rd gear. Currently there is no third gear. The shifter doesn't feel like it's going into a gear and doesn't stay there. We selected 3rd on the transmission directly but the transmission only pops back out. The other gears all work fine.

He's trying to decide what to do. Is it worth it to try and fix this transmission or should he just start searching for a new trans? Also, what all 5 speeds would bolt up without issues? Preferably he'd like to not change driveshaft, clutch, shifter or anything.
buzzboy
03-09-2014, 01:58 PM #1

My friend's got an 85 190D 5speed. A week or so ago the car started getting harder and harder to put in 3rd gear and then it started popping out of 3rd gear. Currently there is no third gear. The shifter doesn't feel like it's going into a gear and doesn't stay there. We selected 3rd on the transmission directly but the transmission only pops back out. The other gears all work fine.

He's trying to decide what to do. Is it worth it to try and fix this transmission or should he just start searching for a new trans? Also, what all 5 speeds would bolt up without issues? Preferably he'd like to not change driveshaft, clutch, shifter or anything.

hooblah
Holset

03-11-2014, 05:28 PM #2
Check the clutch first, if its not that then the gearbox has had it.

I have one going spare if youre struggling to find one.
hooblah
03-11-2014, 05:28 PM #2

Check the clutch first, if its not that then the gearbox has had it.

I have one going spare if youre struggling to find one.

buzzboy
K26-2

03-18-2014, 09:19 AM #3
So it's not worth his time to try and rebuild the box? A new gearbox it is. Damn.
buzzboy
03-18-2014, 09:19 AM #3

So it's not worth his time to try and rebuild the box? A new gearbox it is. Damn.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average