STD Tuning Engine OM606 Prechamber combustion leak

OM606 Prechamber combustion leak

OM606 Prechamber combustion leak

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

mwoodland
Naturally-aspirated

03-07-2014, 11:35 AM #1
Greetings,
My name is Mark, and I'm new to the STD group, but have been wrenching on Benz's since the early '70s. I've searched various boards, and have only seen this mentioned once, but no resolution was ever posted.
The patient is a '95 OM606 NA. It's chuffing combustion gas around #6, and I haven't been into the 606 that deep yet, and don't have the prechamber serrated lock ring tool.
A question, if I may.
I've seen this mentioned regarding 602s, but not the 606 engine. (I've searched the threads to no avail..)
Would this typically respond to re-torquing, or is it a symptom of something deeper, i.e. should I pull the glowplug and prechamber, clean and reassemble with a new heat shield? My understanding is that there is no sealing ring under the Prechamber unless the head has been machined.
Does this typically indicate a bad heat shield, cracked prechamber, or what the heck?
The car has almost 260K and has never been apart, as far as I know. I was thinking about pulling and cleaning all of the injectors, balancing pop pressures, etc, but I run fuel additives and it runs great.
Mileage runs from 37 when it's hot out, to 30-32 this time of year.
Any BTDTs would be appreciated.
I was planning on doing a turbo conversion of the NA engine. I already have an OM603 turbo injection pump, and am looking for an OM606 turbo exhaust manifold and turbo, if you happen to know of any.. I was hoping to hold off on the injector rebuilds until I installed the turbo setup, understanding the pop pressure would have to be adjusted to turbo specs.
Best regards,
Mark
mwoodland
03-07-2014, 11:35 AM #1

Greetings,
My name is Mark, and I'm new to the STD group, but have been wrenching on Benz's since the early '70s. I've searched various boards, and have only seen this mentioned once, but no resolution was ever posted.
The patient is a '95 OM606 NA. It's chuffing combustion gas around #6, and I haven't been into the 606 that deep yet, and don't have the prechamber serrated lock ring tool.
A question, if I may.
I've seen this mentioned regarding 602s, but not the 606 engine. (I've searched the threads to no avail..)
Would this typically respond to re-torquing, or is it a symptom of something deeper, i.e. should I pull the glowplug and prechamber, clean and reassemble with a new heat shield? My understanding is that there is no sealing ring under the Prechamber unless the head has been machined.
Does this typically indicate a bad heat shield, cracked prechamber, or what the heck?
The car has almost 260K and has never been apart, as far as I know. I was thinking about pulling and cleaning all of the injectors, balancing pop pressures, etc, but I run fuel additives and it runs great.
I was planning on doing a turbo conversion of the NA engine. I already have an OM603 turbo injection pump, and am looking for an OM606 turbo exhaust manifold and turbo, if you happen to know of any.. I was hoping to hold off on the injector rebuilds until I installed the turbo setup, understanding the pop pressure would have to be adjusted to turbo specs.
Best regards,
Mark

Stevo-trendy
K26-2

03-07-2014, 03:56 PM #2
I would pull the injectors recon them & fit new injector washers & new leak off pipe
Stevo-trendy
03-07-2014, 03:56 PM #2

I would pull the injectors recon them & fit new injector washers & new leak off pipe

Austincarnut
Holset

03-07-2014, 08:02 PM #3
pull the prechamber, clean and reseal
check for cracks, damage to cyl head, etc..

(03-07-2014, 11:35 AM)mwoodland Greetings,
A question, if I may.
Best regards,
Mark
Austincarnut
03-07-2014, 08:02 PM #3

pull the prechamber, clean and reseal
check for cracks, damage to cyl head, etc..

(03-07-2014, 11:35 AM)mwoodland Greetings,
A question, if I may.
Best regards,
Mark

CRD4x4
CompoundSuperTurboDiesel4x4!

03-08-2014, 09:09 AM #4
I agree with the above suggestions and have a source for the stock turbo parts that you're looking for.
PM me any time.

'05 Jeep Liberty CRD - 160k
'06.5 VW Jetta TDI - 230k
'82 MB 300TD - 116k (motor going to raysorenson)
'81 MB 300TD - 195k (parting out)
'71 Jeep DJ5 - diesel conversion project
CRD4x4
03-08-2014, 09:09 AM #4

I agree with the above suggestions and have a source for the stock turbo parts that you're looking for.
PM me any time.

'05 Jeep Liberty CRD - 160k
'06.5 VW Jetta TDI - 230k
'82 MB 300TD - 116k (motor going to raysorenson)
'81 MB 300TD - 195k (parting out)
'71 Jeep DJ5 - diesel conversion project

mwoodland
Naturally-aspirated

03-12-2014, 09:25 AM #5
So, noone has ever seen this condition?
I've searched quite a bit, and the only instance I've seen never got a reply.
I'm in the process of tooling up for the project, but would like to know what I might expect.
mwoodland
03-12-2014, 09:25 AM #5

So, noone has ever seen this condition?
I'm in the process of tooling up for the project, but would like to know what I might expect.

Duncansport
Holset

03-12-2014, 10:29 AM #6
(03-12-2014, 09:25 AM)mwoodland So, noone has ever seen this condition?

Sure, this happens from time to time. You just need to take it apart and see whats going on. Most likely you'll need to clean it all up ( glass bead or media blast the prechamber ) and thoroughly check the cylinder head for damage due to the combustion leak. If all is well reassemble and it should be fine. If there is any burning or damage to the seat area of the cylinder head you'll need to take care of that ( repair shim 6010170460 .3mm 6010170260 .6mm 6010170360 1.0mm)
Duncansport
03-12-2014, 10:29 AM #6

(03-12-2014, 09:25 AM)mwoodland So, noone has ever seen this condition?

Sure, this happens from time to time. You just need to take it apart and see whats going on. Most likely you'll need to clean it all up ( glass bead or media blast the prechamber ) and thoroughly check the cylinder head for damage due to the combustion leak. If all is well reassemble and it should be fine. If there is any burning or damage to the seat area of the cylinder head you'll need to take care of that ( repair shim 6010170460 .3mm 6010170260 .6mm 6010170360 1.0mm)

mwoodland
Naturally-aspirated

03-16-2014, 01:21 PM #7
I pulled #6 prechamber and cleaned everything. It looked like the heat shield seat was slightly galled, so I fabricated a tool from an old seal and lapped the seat with 400 wet. The seat cleaned up, but the galling now looks more like it was burned. Should I run it or replace the PC?
I can't post pictures at the moment, but hotspur pretty clear shots.
mwoodland
03-16-2014, 01:21 PM #7

I pulled #6 prechamber and cleaned everything. It looked like the heat shield seat was slightly galled, so I fabricated a tool from an old seal and lapped the seat with 400 wet. The seat cleaned up, but the galling now looks more like it was burned. Should I run it or replace the PC?
I can't post pictures at the moment, but hotspur pretty clear shots.

Duncansport
Holset

03-16-2014, 04:06 PM #8
note my previous post about repair shims....get the .3 shims
This post was last modified: 03-16-2014, 04:07 PM by Duncansport.
Duncansport
03-16-2014, 04:06 PM #8

note my previous post about repair shims....get the .3 shims

mwoodland
Naturally-aspirated

03-16-2014, 04:46 PM #9
The prechamber to head surface is fine.
The burning took place where the heat shield seats inside the prechamber.
I'll email you pictures before / after I lapped the surface.
mwoodland
03-16-2014, 04:46 PM #9

The prechamber to head surface is fine.
The burning took place where the heat shield seats inside the prechamber.
I'll email you pictures before / after I lapped the surface.

mwoodland
Naturally-aspirated

03-16-2014, 09:41 PM #10
[img][Image: image.jpg][/img]
Bottom of heat shield

[Image: image-1.jpg]
Burned prechamber heat shield "seat".

[Image: image-2.jpg]
Prechamber after lapping

Can this prechamber be saved or should I replace it?
The seat cleaned up but if you can zoom in the metal looks fatigued by the heat.
Any advice would be appreciated.
mwoodland
03-16-2014, 09:41 PM #10

[img][Image: image.jpg][/img]
Bottom of heat shield

[Image: image-1.jpg]
Burned prechamber heat shield "seat".

[Image: image-2.jpg]
Prechamber after lapping

Can this prechamber be saved or should I replace it?
The seat cleaned up but if you can zoom in the metal looks fatigued by the heat.
Any advice would be appreciated.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average