STD Tuning Engine BUDGET EXTERNAL WASTEGATES

BUDGET EXTERNAL WASTEGATES

BUDGET EXTERNAL WASTEGATES

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

mantahead
Holset

02-17-2014, 05:56 PM #1
Hi,

anyone any good or bad experiences with cheap external wastegates, leaking etc?

i heard the copy HKS ones are ok.

i need to buy 1 or i might put 2 on my twin scroll manifold.

i was wondering what your thoughts were??
mantahead
02-17-2014, 05:56 PM #1

Hi,

anyone any good or bad experiences with cheap external wastegates, leaking etc?

i heard the copy HKS ones are ok.

i need to buy 1 or i might put 2 on my twin scroll manifold.

i was wondering what your thoughts were??

Hario'
C300TD Wagon (W202)

02-18-2014, 02:31 AM #2
I saw my friends new china wastegate at christmas actually.

It wasn't good, the popet valve had about 2-4mm clearance around the entire perimeter of its seat, so the valve face was actually smaller in diameter than its seat, it was one of those £55 shipped anodised (anodized?) ones.

I was sad because I wanted to get one, I will get him to take a picture to substantiate my claim.

My backup was a large OEM wastegate from a big audi, the type those china ones actually copy, this this actually!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hks-38mm-Exter...338afc0a2e

H
This post was last modified: 02-18-2014, 02:32 AM by Hario'.

Installed:

OM606/722.6, big IC, W220 brakes.
Planned:
DIY manifold, compound, 722.6 controller, built IP.
[i]Less rust.. 
[/i]
Hario'
02-18-2014, 02:31 AM #2

I saw my friends new china wastegate at christmas actually.

It wasn't good, the popet valve had about 2-4mm clearance around the entire perimeter of its seat, so the valve face was actually smaller in diameter than its seat, it was one of those £55 shipped anodised (anodized?) ones.

I was sad because I wanted to get one, I will get him to take a picture to substantiate my claim.

My backup was a large OEM wastegate from a big audi, the type those china ones actually copy, this this actually!

H

Installed:

Planned:
[i]Less rust.. 
[/i]

mantahead
Holset

02-18-2014, 07:22 AM #3
i also heard some of them are made with the valve off centre to the seat.
mantahead
02-18-2014, 07:22 AM #3

i also heard some of them are made with the valve off centre to the seat.

F.R.A.S
Holset

02-18-2014, 07:55 AM #4
There is a "seal ring" that are to be on the valve end. Was that in place when you looked at the wastegate?

I have some experience of Chinese wastegates and some are good and some are crap, just like anything else Made in China. But if you search the vendors carefully you'll probably end up with a quite good working unit.

(02-18-2014, 02:31 AM)Hario I saw my friends new china wastegate at christmas actually.

H

Forgot the picture Cool

Here is the Chinese 38mm v-band wastegate I'm using on the om604 build.

This post was last modified: 02-18-2014, 07:58 AM by F.R.A.S.

F-tune Performance [Image: V-band_om606.jpg] [Image: GTX3582R.jpg] [Image: gs6-53dz_gearbox.jpg]

I can help you out with all your manual transmission, clutch, flywheel, intake and exhaust manifold issues.
F.R.A.S
02-18-2014, 07:55 AM #4

There is a "seal ring" that are to be on the valve end. Was that in place when you looked at the wastegate?

I have some experience of Chinese wastegates and some are good and some are crap, just like anything else Made in China. But if you search the vendors carefully you'll probably end up with a quite good working unit.

(02-18-2014, 02:31 AM)Hario I saw my friends new china wastegate at christmas actually.

H

Forgot the picture Cool

F-tune Performance [Image: V-band_om606.jpg] [Image: GTX3582R.jpg] [Image: gs6-53dz_gearbox.jpg]

I can help you out with all your manual transmission, clutch, flywheel, intake and exhaust manifold issues.

Duncansport
Holset

02-18-2014, 09:21 AM #5
(02-18-2014, 07:55 AM)F.R.A.S There is a "seal ring" that are to be on the valve end. Was that in place when you looked at the wastegate?

H

Forgot the picture Cool

+1 on this. I've used a "china gate" up to 3 BAR with no issues other then the shitty hardware then send with it
Duncansport
02-18-2014, 09:21 AM #5

(02-18-2014, 07:55 AM)F.R.A.S There is a "seal ring" that are to be on the valve end. Was that in place when you looked at the wastegate?

H

Forgot the picture Cool

+1 on this. I've used a "china gate" up to 3 BAR with no issues other then the shitty hardware then send with it

Hario'
C300TD Wagon (W202)

02-20-2014, 05:22 PM #6
That looks much better than the item my friend had.

It had a 45 degre angled cut valve and seat, the the OD of the valve face was actually smaller than the ID of the valve seat it was a complete fail.

I will likely buy a quality used item such as the eBay linked item above, fair enough with your success from China it is risky.

Seal ring as in typical poppet valve and seat? Yes as described above, sorry I confused myself.
This post was last modified: 02-20-2014, 05:50 PM by Hario'.

Installed:

Planned:
[i]Less rust.. 
[/i]
Hario'
02-20-2014, 05:22 PM #6

That looks much better than the item my friend had.

It had a 45 degre angled cut valve and seat, the the OD of the valve face was actually smaller than the ID of the valve seat it was a complete fail.

I will likely buy a quality used item such as the eBay linked item above, fair enough with your success from China it is risky.

Seal ring as in typical poppet valve and seat? Yes as described above, sorry I confused myself.

Installed:

Planned:
[i]Less rust.. 
[/i]

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average