STD Tuning Engine Any ideas for CHT install?

Any ideas for CHT install?

Any ideas for CHT install?

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

raysorenson
Superturbo

02-02-2014, 06:39 PM #1
I'm thinking about using one of these guys for my OM603:

[Image: TC3.jpg]

It can monitor 6 CHT and EGT temps at once, store all 12 peak temps in NVRAM and has an alarm output for a user-defined value.

I can't think of a good way to make a ring/washer spark plug type thermocouple work. Good suggestions welcome.

The threaded or "bayonet" type sensor seems to be the best choice. This is an example of a simple threaded style thermocouple that I'll be attempting to install into a Vespa 2 stroke air-cooled head between the spark plug and the exhaust port:

[Image: TC-K3.jpg]

It's got a 1/4"X20 thread so it's small and cost is less than $4.

I could also do a "bayonet" type thermocouple which is similar in construction but it uses a spring to push the thermocouple into the head.

[Image: alcor-86251-cht-thermocouple.jpg]

This will require a much deeper hole or a little threaded pipe to stand the body of the sensor away from the head. This would be a much more complicated, expensive and time consuming install over the simple threaded type with the only added benefit of a spring to press the thermocouple into the head.

The question is where to put it? I've got a head that I can drill into for experimental purposes. I need to get close to the heat without weakening the head.
raysorenson
02-02-2014, 06:39 PM #1

I'm thinking about using one of these guys for my OM603:

[Image: TC3.jpg]

It can monitor 6 CHT and EGT temps at once, store all 12 peak temps in NVRAM and has an alarm output for a user-defined value.

I can't think of a good way to make a ring/washer spark plug type thermocouple work. Good suggestions welcome.

The threaded or "bayonet" type sensor seems to be the best choice. This is an example of a simple threaded style thermocouple that I'll be attempting to install into a Vespa 2 stroke air-cooled head between the spark plug and the exhaust port:

[Image: TC-K3.jpg]

It's got a 1/4"X20 thread so it's small and cost is less than $4.

I could also do a "bayonet" type thermocouple which is similar in construction but it uses a spring to push the thermocouple into the head.

[Image: alcor-86251-cht-thermocouple.jpg]

This will require a much deeper hole or a little threaded pipe to stand the body of the sensor away from the head. This would be a much more complicated, expensive and time consuming install over the simple threaded type with the only added benefit of a spring to press the thermocouple into the head.

The question is where to put it? I've got a head that I can drill into for experimental purposes. I need to get close to the heat without weakening the head.

sassparilla_kid
diesel > all other fuels

02-02-2014, 06:55 PM #2
What is CHT?

-1982 300D Turbo, 280k miles, ALDA apparently maxxed, fram 8038, 12 lbs boost, non-egr manifolds, W/M injection, 4 brake light mod, Gen II w126 front rotors/calipers, 4-speed swap
In the works: A/W IC, adjust pump, turbo rebuild (w/60 trim comp wheel)
-1980 300SD, 110k, project car. Goal is to get it lookin' like it did on the showroom floor (body and interior wise, not necessarily under the hood )
-1974 240D, FRESH PAINT!!!!!!
sassparilla_kid
02-02-2014, 06:55 PM #2

What is CHT?

-1982 300D Turbo, 280k miles, ALDA apparently maxxed, fram 8038, 12 lbs boost, non-egr manifolds, W/M injection, 4 brake light mod, Gen II w126 front rotors/calipers, 4-speed swap
In the works: A/W IC, adjust pump, turbo rebuild (w/60 trim comp wheel)
-1980 300SD, 110k, project car. Goal is to get it lookin' like it did on the showroom floor (body and interior wise, not necessarily under the hood )
-1974 240D, FRESH PAINT!!!!!!

raysorenson
Superturbo

02-02-2014, 07:04 PM #3
Cylinder Head Temp :-)
raysorenson
02-02-2014, 07:04 PM #3

Cylinder Head Temp :-)

Simpler=Better
PORTED HEAD

02-02-2014, 09:52 PM #4
I've used the 1/4-20 one with an Auber readout, it did the job well. Would read out ambient when dead cold (30*F) and seemed accurate up to peaks (1100*F)

If you want intense EGT monitoring, I'd tap each exhaust runner.

For CHT you could go bananas and replace the glow plugs

Newbie-read this: Cheap Tricks
617.952-220k-Getting built up
larsalan I guess I need to look at this stupid ass drip shit. What you have to like mess with those elements on the pump? What a fucking hassle. then use some wire to hold the throttle open or some shit?
Simpler=Better
02-02-2014, 09:52 PM #4

I've used the 1/4-20 one with an Auber readout, it did the job well. Would read out ambient when dead cold (30*F) and seemed accurate up to peaks (1100*F)

If you want intense EGT monitoring, I'd tap each exhaust runner.

For CHT you could go bananas and replace the glow plugs

Newbie-read this: Cheap Tricks
617.952-220k-Getting built up
larsalan I guess I need to look at this stupid ass drip shit. What you have to like mess with those elements on the pump? What a fucking hassle. then use some wire to hold the throttle open or some shit?

Jambo
GTA2056V

02-03-2014, 12:23 AM #5
Why not get the matching proble from MGL Avionics?

http://www.mglavionics.co.za/

Should be cheap given the horrendous exchange rate currently.Smile

This post was last modified: 02-03-2014, 01:20 AM by Jambo.
Jambo
02-03-2014, 12:23 AM #5

Why not get the matching proble from MGL Avionics?

http://www.mglavionics.co.za/

Should be cheap given the horrendous exchange rate currently.Smile

barrote
Superturbo

02-03-2014, 05:39 AM #6
hello ray,
i would install 1 probe on the exaust gas stream as near as possible to the head. im my engine i have a EGT probe where once was the EGR exit, and i found it to be a perfect place, once i had 850Cº for a wile and the engine quited. i have exaust valves burned, so in my opinion we cant go much further without damage.
regarding CHT i dont understad why i want to install those!! i do work with aviation engines wich have that readings, but the reason is not to monitor temp , is to have a clue on how much u can lean the mixture, wich is something that in diesels make no sense.
eventhoug u want to have na idea of what is going on on each cyl, fit 6 probes on the gas steam just after the head, i mean in the runners, this will give u na aproximate idea of gas temp inside, and with time and guts u can find na equation to correct the Reading to a real value.
usually is what manufactures do, since what stresses the parts is the heat transfer from the hot gas.
regards
FD.

FD,