STD Tuning Engine Got a few nice problems in a little bit of everywhere, it seems.

Got a few nice problems in a little bit of everywhere, it seems.

Got a few nice problems in a little bit of everywhere, it seems.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

OneEyedWilly
Naturally-aspirated

01-19-2014, 06:50 AM #1
Hey guys, I have a OM617 in a 84 300D.

I have just done a valve adjustment to it, and cleaned all the glow plugs.
I turned it on and it sounded like it was running fine so i let it idle for a while. I went back out and there was this knocking sound. So I go around looking for the source and came to the air filter. one of those cone ones. so I took it off and the sound stopped. anyone have any ideas what it is?

And also ever since it dropped to -11 degrees outside one night, it does not want to start on its own. either I have to sit there and crank it with no guarantee that it will start or I spray a puff of ether. just had the priming pump replaced with a upgraded version (the black button not the screw) but it still does not seem to want to start normally. any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.
OneEyedWilly
01-19-2014, 06:50 AM #1

Hey guys, I have a OM617 in a 84 300D.

I have just done a valve adjustment to it, and cleaned all the glow plugs.
I turned it on and it sounded like it was running fine so i let it idle for a while. I went back out and there was this knocking sound. So I go around looking for the source and came to the air filter. one of those cone ones. so I took it off and the sound stopped. anyone have any ideas what it is?

And also ever since it dropped to -11 degrees outside one night, it does not want to start on its own. either I have to sit there and crank it with no guarantee that it will start or I spray a puff of ether. just had the priming pump replaced with a upgraded version (the black button not the screw) but it still does not seem to want to start normally. any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

stig
K26-2

01-19-2014, 07:07 AM #2
Hi, if the sound started after you adjusted the valves, my guess would be maybe one of the inlet valves is too tight and it's blowing back through the inlet? Check the adjustment I'd say.
Hard starting- due to incorrect valve adjustment, glow plugs would be a likely suspect. Otherwise worn engine with low compression. Cheers
stig
01-19-2014, 07:07 AM #2

Hi, if the sound started after you adjusted the valves, my guess would be maybe one of the inlet valves is too tight and it's blowing back through the inlet? Check the adjustment I'd say.
Hard starting- due to incorrect valve adjustment, glow plugs would be a likely suspect. Otherwise worn engine with low compression. Cheers

OneEyedWilly
Naturally-aspirated

01-19-2014, 07:26 AM #3
The hard starting started before the valve adjustment. One day it started with not one problem then the next day got way too cold, and the day after that it would not start.
OneEyedWilly
01-19-2014, 07:26 AM #3

The hard starting started before the valve adjustment. One day it started with not one problem then the next day got way too cold, and the day after that it would not start.

lgreeley83
Mr. Rumbles

01-19-2014, 05:56 PM #4
I'll be the one to tell you.. Lol... i tested everything but the glow plugs. Get in there with an ohm meter and check your glow plugs.

http://www.dieselgiant.com/glowplugrepair.htm

that link describes a 6 cylinder model but it should work the same on your car. In 5 minutes i had an idea about which glow plugs were bad. sure enough the ones with resistance off tested bad when i put 12v to them.

And have you done valves before? Best to check again.

And there is a divided group on thoughts of ether in an engine with glow plugs. I wont get into all that but in case you didn't know, some think that is a bad idea. Check them glow plugs.
This post was last modified: 01-19-2014, 05:58 PM by lgreeley83.

" straighten up that star on the grill, assholes."

lgreeley83
01-19-2014, 05:56 PM #4

I'll be the one to tell you.. Lol... i tested everything but the glow plugs. Get in there with an ohm meter and check your glow plugs.

http://www.dieselgiant.com/glowplugrepair.htm

that link describes a 6 cylinder model but it should work the same on your car. In 5 minutes i had an idea about which glow plugs were bad. sure enough the ones with resistance off tested bad when i put 12v to them.

And have you done valves before? Best to check again.

And there is a divided group on thoughts of ether in an engine with glow plugs. I wont get into all that but in case you didn't know, some think that is a bad idea. Check them glow plugs.

" straighten up that star on the grill, assholes."

OneEyedWilly
Naturally-aspirated

01-20-2014, 10:35 PM #5
Got a friend that owns a mercedes specialty shop, got the bosh glow plugs for about 10 dollars a piece. 4 of the 5 were shot, so put the new ones in and it started right up. Tomorrow Ill check the valves again, just to make sure, one is probably just off a bit. getting some blow back through the air filter.

Thank you for the help, guys!
OneEyedWilly
01-20-2014, 10:35 PM #5

Got a friend that owns a mercedes specialty shop, got the bosh glow plugs for about 10 dollars a piece. 4 of the 5 were shot, so put the new ones in and it started right up. Tomorrow Ill check the valves again, just to make sure, one is probably just off a bit. getting some blow back through the air filter.

Thank you for the help, guys!

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average