STD Tuning Engine OM606 Reliabilty with performance modifications?

OM606 Reliabilty with performance modifications?

OM606 Reliabilty with performance modifications?

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Gearbound
In need of a OM606.96x

01-16-2014, 12:07 AM #1
Still learning about these motors but I havent seen how long these motors last under daily abuse when turned up to 400hp or more.
With normal maintanence and a few track days a year what is to be expected?

If its not inline its out of line Tongue
Gearbound
01-16-2014, 12:07 AM #1

Still learning about these motors but I havent seen how long these motors last under daily abuse when turned up to 400hp or more.
With normal maintanence and a few track days a year what is to be expected?

hansendk
TA 0301

01-16-2014, 01:15 AM #2
try and look for black smoke racing there you can see what problems happen over the last about 3 years using a 606 for drifting
hansendk
01-16-2014, 01:15 AM #2

try and look for black smoke racing there you can see what problems happen over the last about 3 years using a 606 for drifting

Gearbound
In need of a OM606.96x

01-16-2014, 05:39 AM #3
I had first saw them last year. Thats what set off the om606 want.And I saw what where they had "oil problems" and broke A chunk of the main journal off the block. now there using a CDI motor and a later model wagon. just didnt know if I am chasing a lost cause. Id like to build a high hp diesel but not a slow revving industrial 4bt or limited hp volkswagon tdi. just hate to build something that mechanically doesnt hold together after some play time every now and again them back to work commuting and getting 30mpg (US)

Gearbound
01-16-2014, 05:39 AM #3

I had first saw them last year. Thats what set off the om606 want.And I saw what where they had "oil problems" and broke A chunk of the main journal off the block. now there using a CDI motor and a later model wagon. just didnt know if I am chasing a lost cause. Id like to build a high hp diesel but not a slow revving industrial 4bt or limited hp volkswagon tdi. just hate to build something that mechanically doesnt hold together after some play time every now and again them back to work commuting and getting 30mpg (US)

F.R.A.S
Holset

01-16-2014, 06:36 AM #4
The normal Swedish way of doing a om606 big power build is to use an old Taxi engine with 310685miles (500.000km) on the meter and then push 600hp out of it (with no rebuild what so ever). And that holds up for quite some time. So with some love and a moderate power of 400hp those engines never break.

To be super safe you can balance all rotating in the engine, shot peen the rods and so on. That's quite some work but will not cost you as much as buying new engines (or forged stuff).

(01-16-2014, 05:39 AM)Gearbound I had first saw them last year. Thats what set off the om606 want.And I saw what where they had "oil problems" and broke A chunk of the main journal off the block. now there using a CDI motor and a later model wagon. just didnt know if I am chasing a lost cause. Id like to build a high hp diesel but not a slow revving industrial 4bt or limited hp volkswagon tdi. just hate to build something that mechanically doesnt hold together after some play time every now and again them back to work commuting and getting 30mpg (US)

F-tune Performance [Image: V-band_om606.jpg] [Image: GTX3582R.jpg] [Image: gs6-53dz_gearbox.jpg]

I can help you out with all your manual transmission, clutch, flywheel, intake and exhaust manifold issues.
F.R.A.S
01-16-2014, 06:36 AM #4

The normal Swedish way of doing a om606 big power build is to use an old Taxi engine with 310685miles (500.000km) on the meter and then push 600hp out of it (with no rebuild what so ever). And that holds up for quite some time. So with some love and a moderate power of 400hp those engines never break.

To be super safe you can balance all rotating in the engine, shot peen the rods and so on. That's quite some work but will not cost you as much as buying new engines (or forged stuff).

(01-16-2014, 05:39 AM)Gearbound I had first saw them last year. Thats what set off the om606 want.And I saw what where they had "oil problems" and broke A chunk of the main journal off the block. now there using a CDI motor and a later model wagon. just didnt know if I am chasing a lost cause. Id like to build a high hp diesel but not a slow revving industrial 4bt or limited hp volkswagon tdi. just hate to build something that mechanically doesnt hold together after some play time every now and again them back to work commuting and getting 30mpg (US)

F-tune Performance [Image: V-band_om606.jpg] [Image: GTX3582R.jpg] [Image: gs6-53dz_gearbox.jpg]

I can help you out with all your manual transmission, clutch, flywheel, intake and exhaust manifold issues.

MFSuper90
Budget Builder

01-16-2014, 01:34 PM #5
You HAVE to sacrifice some amount of reliability when you start adding more power, to anything. Doesn't matter if it's a merc, a cummins, a vw, or any engine. They weren't made to handle that kind of power, so realistically you can't expect one to last as long as it would in stock power.

That's not to say that a fresh om606 won't last a long long time at 400hp, I just thought I'd point out that sometimes it's just not practical. I honestly think as long as your not pushing extreme rpm or extreme hp, they will last as long as you drive it

'82 300D -3" straight pipe, ALDA deleted, 3in1 glowshift gauge, HX30, egr-less manifold, A/W intercooler Big Grin
'14 Ram 6.7l cummins -G56 handshaker, wishing it was deleted         
MFSuper90
01-16-2014, 01:34 PM #5

You HAVE to sacrifice some amount of reliability when you start adding more power, to anything. Doesn't matter if it's a merc, a cummins, a vw, or any engine. They weren't made to handle that kind of power, so realistically you can't expect one to last as long as it would in stock power.

That's not to say that a fresh om606 won't last a long long time at 400hp, I just thought I'd point out that sometimes it's just not practical. I honestly think as long as your not pushing extreme rpm or extreme hp, they will last as long as you drive it

'82 300D -3" straight pipe, ALDA deleted, 3in1 glowshift gauge, HX30, egr-less manifold, A/W intercooler Big Grin

Gearbound
In need of a OM606.96x

01-16-2014, 07:43 PM #6
Mfsuper90 Thats correct. And I understand if something is designed to run at blank amount of power and now your asking 100% out of it I understand its going to die alot sooner. like a 2jzgte turned up to 1000hp on stock rods and pistons on race gas will last about a month of daily driving with a few pulls. but live a long time at 700-800 depending on turbo size (how hard it hits on low rpm,rods go first)

F.R.A.S Id like to shoot for 500whp on the om606 (just because Its usually been a drivable amout of power for the street on 3liter turbo car, never had twin charged so i just know big laggy turbo setups)

I dont want to sound like a know it all either. Im young and eager to learn. Im still learning about forced induction and thats why im here on this fourm to entertain my hobby of gas and diesel applications. I appreacite the input!
This post was last modified: 01-16-2014, 07:59 PM by Gearbound.

Gearbound
01-16-2014, 07:43 PM #6

Mfsuper90 Thats correct. And I understand if something is designed to run at blank amount of power and now your asking 100% out of it I understand its going to die alot sooner. like a 2jzgte turned up to 1000hp on stock rods and pistons on race gas will last about a month of daily driving with a few pulls. but live a long time at 700-800 depending on turbo size (how hard it hits on low rpm,rods go first)

F.R.A.S Id like to shoot for 500whp on the om606 (just because Its usually been a drivable amout of power for the street on 3liter turbo car, never had twin charged so i just know big laggy turbo setups)

I dont want to sound like a know it all either. Im young and eager to learn. Im still learning about forced induction and thats why im here on this fourm to entertain my hobby of gas and diesel applications. I appreacite the input!

MFSuper90
Budget Builder

01-16-2014, 10:59 PM #7
Hmm, is it possible the om606 wouldn't live as long with a set of fast spooling twins? EDH will find out I guess with his triple set. But that's still a little different. I just wonder how the om606 would hold up to full boost coming In at an earlier rpm than a big single

MFSuper90
01-16-2014, 10:59 PM #7

Hmm, is it possible the om606 wouldn't live as long with a set of fast spooling twins? EDH will find out I guess with his triple set. But that's still a little different. I just wonder how the om606 would hold up to full boost coming In at an earlier rpm than a big single

Gearbound
In need of a OM606.96x

01-17-2014, 02:39 AM #8
m90 SC thats been ported will safely make how much psi? With that and a Hy35 which had a 9cm^2 as a high pressure to a Borg warner s366 turned up.

I imagine the rods have to give up at some point if you can make more torque sooner. Where can dyno charts be found of benz 6 cyl diesels?
This post was last modified: 01-17-2014, 02:40 AM by Gearbound.

Gearbound
01-17-2014, 02:39 AM #8

m90 SC thats been ported will safely make how much psi? With that and a Hy35 which had a 9cm^2 as a high pressure to a Borg warner s366 turned up.

I imagine the rods have to give up at some point if you can make more torque sooner. Where can dyno charts be found of benz 6 cyl diesels?

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average