STD Tuning Engine Anyone made their own engine mounts?

Anyone made their own engine mounts?

Anyone made their own engine mounts?

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

hooblah
Holset

01-13-2014, 08:19 AM #1
I need some new mounts as my om602 mounts are too tall. Ive tried cutting down the arms and the mounts but I cant go any further now. Im considering making my own mounts from hockey pucks or polyurethane.

Hockey pucks seem cheap and easy but im not sure what the NVH will be like after installing them. Polyurethane may be a bit softer but costs more time and money to produce.

Has anyone done something similar? Or any suggestions you can can think of?

Thanks guys all info is appreciated!
This post was last modified: 01-13-2014, 08:20 AM by hooblah.
hooblah
01-13-2014, 08:19 AM #1

I need some new mounts as my om602 mounts are too tall. Ive tried cutting down the arms and the mounts but I cant go any further now. Im considering making my own mounts from hockey pucks or polyurethane.

Hockey pucks seem cheap and easy but im not sure what the NVH will be like after installing them. Polyurethane may be a bit softer but costs more time and money to produce.

Has anyone done something similar? Or any suggestions you can can think of?

Thanks guys all info is appreciated!

hooblah
Holset

01-13-2014, 03:34 PM #2
I think i'll give the polyurethane a go. Ive come up with a design and ordered some 60a resin. Ive got to do a bit of machining now Smile
hooblah
01-13-2014, 03:34 PM #2

I think i'll give the polyurethane a go. Ive come up with a design and ordered some 60a resin. Ive got to do a bit of machining now Smile

raysorenson
Superturbo

01-13-2014, 03:47 PM #3
Have you checked out the advance adapters mounts? Rubber, pretty simple design, bulletproof.
raysorenson
01-13-2014, 03:47 PM #3

Have you checked out the advance adapters mounts? Rubber, pretty simple design, bulletproof.

hooblah
Holset

01-13-2014, 04:45 PM #4
I had a quick look but couldnt see anything useful, got a link?

Heres my 2 ideas.

The first one involves cutting a couple of pieces of polyurethane bar and sandwiching the mount arms with them and placing a bolt through the middle. In principle this would work quite well but it doesnt look 'professional'.

The second idea involves casting a mount with 2 studs set into it. I will need to do a bit of mucking about to make sure the studs are captive and dont move when torque is applied. This will take longer to develop but will ultimately look better.

[Image: mounts_zps830cdd2f.jpg]

After having a little think, I might just use hockey pucks with the first idea and see how that goes. Once the cars being used as a daily i'll consider changing it.
This post was last modified: 01-13-2014, 05:05 PM by hooblah.
hooblah
01-13-2014, 04:45 PM #4

I had a quick look but couldnt see anything useful, got a link?

Heres my 2 ideas.

The first one involves cutting a couple of pieces of polyurethane bar and sandwiching the mount arms with them and placing a bolt through the middle. In principle this would work quite well but it doesnt look 'professional'.

The second idea involves casting a mount with 2 studs set into it. I will need to do a bit of mucking about to make sure the studs are captive and dont move when torque is applied. This will take longer to develop but will ultimately look better.

[Image: mounts_zps830cdd2f.jpg]

After having a little think, I might just use hockey pucks with the first idea and see how that goes. Once the cars being used as a daily i'll consider changing it.

raysorenson
Superturbo

01-13-2014, 09:34 PM #5
The AA motor mounts are idea #1.

[Image: 713008ns.jpg]
raysorenson
01-13-2014, 09:34 PM #5

The AA motor mounts are idea #1.

[Image: 713008ns.jpg]

MFSuper90
Budget Builder

01-13-2014, 10:33 PM #6
Will polyurethane or hocky pucks absorb enough of the vibrations? So it doesn't shake the motor to pieces?

'82 300D -3" straight pipe, ALDA deleted, 3in1 glowshift gauge, HX30, egr-less manifold, A/W intercooler Big Grin
'14 Ram 6.7l cummins -G56 handshaker, wishing it was deleted         
MFSuper90
01-13-2014, 10:33 PM #6

Will polyurethane or hocky pucks absorb enough of the vibrations? So it doesn't shake the motor to pieces?

'82 300D -3" straight pipe, ALDA deleted, 3in1 glowshift gauge, HX30, egr-less manifold, A/W intercooler Big Grin
'14 Ram 6.7l cummins -G56 handshaker, wishing it was deleted         

Druk
Holset

01-14-2014, 03:35 AM #7
Why not fab up new engine feet to mate to the OE mounts rather than mess about with the mounts and risk NVH problems. I don't mean hacking up the ally feet but making completely new ones from steel. These are from a 107 but you get the drift.

[Image: enginemountings004.jpg]

[Image: enginemountings006.jpg]

[Image: feet003.jpg]

This post was last modified: 01-14-2014, 03:36 AM by Druk.
Druk
01-14-2014, 03:35 AM #7

Why not fab up new engine feet to mate to the OE mounts rather than mess about with the mounts and risk NVH problems. I don't mean hacking up the ally feet but making completely new ones from steel. These are from a 107 but you get the drift.

[Image: enginemountings004.jpg]

[Image: enginemountings006.jpg]

[Image: feet003.jpg]

hooblah
Holset

01-14-2014, 06:26 PM #8
Cheers Derek. Yes I had thought of that but I want to try and make poly mounts just for the sake of it. If it works then ive learnt something new. If it doesnt work then i've still learnt something new. If I dont try then how will I know?

Ive got some nylon bar at work that I can turn up to make some temporary mounts. This will let me get the engine in place and work everything else around it. Hopefully I can start to get a real move on with the project in the next couple of months - weather permitting.

Just a quick question - Why have you got a chain on your engine? And whats the purpose of the damper on the right in the last pic?
hooblah
01-14-2014, 06:26 PM #8

Cheers Derek. Yes I had thought of that but I want to try and make poly mounts just for the sake of it. If it works then ive learnt something new. If it doesnt work then i've still learnt something new. If I dont try then how will I know?

Ive got some nylon bar at work that I can turn up to make some temporary mounts. This will let me get the engine in place and work everything else around it. Hopefully I can start to get a real move on with the project in the next couple of months - weather permitting.

Just a quick question - Why have you got a chain on your engine? And whats the purpose of the damper on the right in the last pic?

Druk
Holset

01-14-2014, 07:51 PM #9
The chain was where I lifted it from. Because it was a totally different installation I could fine tune the angle of the lift by adjusting the strainers to this cradle I made which sat on the chassis rails.

[Image: enginemounting011.jpg]

The shocker is a standard R107 feature because the mounts are solid rubber and don't have the internal oil damping of later cars.

Druk
01-14-2014, 07:51 PM #9

The chain was where I lifted it from. Because it was a totally different installation I could fine tune the angle of the lift by adjusting the strainers to this cradle I made which sat on the chassis rails.

[Image: enginemounting011.jpg]

The shocker is a standard R107 feature because the mounts are solid rubber and don't have the internal oil damping of later cars.

hooblah
Holset

01-15-2014, 07:21 AM #10
Thats different, I haven't seen that done before. Wish I had a big garage with a 4 poster!
hooblah
01-15-2014, 07:21 AM #10

Thats different, I haven't seen that done before. Wish I had a big garage with a 4 poster!

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average