STD Tuning Engine Full IP rack travel om617

Full IP rack travel om617

Full IP rack travel om617

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

MFSuper90
Budget Builder

01-12-2014, 11:36 PM #1
I got to toying with my car the other day and noticed when floored my linkage wasn't extending fully and hitting the stop on the pump. I have tribes in the stop on the pump quite a bit for some more rack travel. It turns out my VCV was hindering the throttle linkage. Here's my fix.
As you can see below there are two metal pins that limit travel of the VCV.
[Image: null_zps2fa457b1.jpg]

[Image: null_zps766b69dc.jpg]

It's an easy fix, A pair of side cuts or pliers and those two pins come right out. VCV still works as normal.
[Image: null_zps0949e6a5.jpg]

Results are much more rack travel, thus my top end greatly improved. Easy mod, with great results!

'82 300D -3" straight pipe, ALDA deleted, 3in1 glowshift gauge, HX30, egr-less manifold, A/W intercooler Big Grin
'14 Ram 6.7l cummins -G56 handshaker, wishing it was deleted         
MFSuper90
01-12-2014, 11:36 PM #1

I got to toying with my car the other day and noticed when floored my linkage wasn't extending fully and hitting the stop on the pump. I have tribes in the stop on the pump quite a bit for some more rack travel. It turns out my VCV was hindering the throttle linkage. Here's my fix.

It's an easy fix, A pair of side cuts or pliers and those two pins come right out. VCV still works as normal.

Results are much more rack travel, thus my top end greatly improved. Easy mod, with great results!

'82 300D -3" straight pipe, ALDA deleted, 3in1 glowshift gauge, HX30, egr-less manifold, A/W intercooler Big Grin

Austincarnut
Holset

01-13-2014, 09:07 PM #2
Or you could adjust your linkages as the ball cranks wear they create more slack. Adjusting full throw used to be a big part of a major service on these engines as valve adjustment and timing check. Those pins are there for the tool to set the vacuum for trans modulator for proper shift characteristics

(01-12-2014, 11:36 PM)MFSuper90 I got to toying with my car the other day and noticed when floored my linkage wasn't extending fully and hitting the stop on the pump. I have tribes in the stop on the pump quite a bit for some more rack travel. It turns out my VCV was hindering the throttle linkage. Here's my fix.

Austincarnut
01-13-2014, 09:07 PM #2

Or you could adjust your linkages as the ball cranks wear they create more slack. Adjusting full throw used to be a big part of a major service on these engines as valve adjustment and timing check. Those pins are there for the tool to set the vacuum for trans modulator for proper shift characteristics

(01-12-2014, 11:36 PM)MFSuper90 I got to toying with my car the other day and noticed when floored my linkage wasn't extending fully and hitting the stop on the pump. I have tribes in the stop on the pump quite a bit for some more rack travel. It turns out my VCV was hindering the throttle linkage. Here's my fix.

MFSuper90
Budget Builder

01-13-2014, 10:29 PM #3
That is true, but where my problem lies is that I have my idle set up with my cruise control linkage. Because when I adjusted my pump I didn't set the idle screw up as much and it makes my car idle very slow, so to compensate I use the linkage.
Correct procedure? No, but it will get me by until I have time to take the back of my pump off again.

But very good and very true point austincarnut. I just thought I would share how I did it. To be honest, I held the linkage at wide open and looked to see what was hindering the linkage, and the VCV valve is what I found, so that's what I fixed.

If my idle was set correctly, I definitely would have adjusted the linkage, as I should've to begin with. Smile

MFSuper90
01-13-2014, 10:29 PM #3

That is true, but where my problem lies is that I have my idle set up with my cruise control linkage. Because when I adjusted my pump I didn't set the idle screw up as much and it makes my car idle very slow, so to compensate I use the linkage.
Correct procedure? No, but it will get me by until I have time to take the back of my pump off again.

But very good and very true point austincarnut. I just thought I would share how I did it. To be honest, I held the linkage at wide open and looked to see what was hindering the linkage, and the VCV valve is what I found, so that's what I fixed.

If my idle was set correctly, I definitely would have adjusted the linkage, as I should've to begin with. Smile

Austincarnut
Holset

01-13-2014, 11:11 PM #4
I figured I'd chime in for those who have a 'stock' setup...
I threw all of that away on my car, simplified my throttle linkage and went w/ a manual trans

(01-13-2014, 10:29 PM)MFSuper90 That is true, but where my problem lies is that I have my idle set up with my cruise control linkage. Because when I adjusted my pump I didn't set the idle screw up as much and it makes my car idle very slow, so to compensate I use the linkage.

Austincarnut
01-13-2014, 11:11 PM #4

I figured I'd chime in for those who have a 'stock' setup...
I threw all of that away on my car, simplified my throttle linkage and went w/ a manual trans

(01-13-2014, 10:29 PM)MFSuper90 That is true, but where my problem lies is that I have my idle set up with my cruise control linkage. Because when I adjusted my pump I didn't set the idle screw up as much and it makes my car idle very slow, so to compensate I use the linkage.

MFSuper90
Budget Builder

01-15-2014, 11:11 AM #5
I wish I had a manual... But get by with what I got

MFSuper90
01-15-2014, 11:11 AM #5

I wish I had a manual... But get by with what I got

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average