STD Tuning Engine om617 turbo reground cam curiosity

om617 turbo reground cam curiosity

om617 turbo reground cam curiosity

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

NapaBavarian
GT2256V

12-22-2013, 11:48 PM #1
I have been thinking about how to make the engine a little more torquey down low and thinking of a light overahaul, rings bearings and gaskets, on one of my spare engines.

I know the ford guys have been using a regrind, not sure but I think tacoma cam? Excelent results, power comes in 200rpm earlier, n/a engines pull harder, turbo engines build boost more agresively.

I wondered if anyone has tried something similar? I was thinking of a turbo from a 603, common in the junk yard cheap on half price day and I believe a .60 trim with a cam and clean up the ports intake and exhaust, perhaps a fresher ip if one is to be found at the junkyard. Hopefully it would make a nice drivable engine.
NapaBavarian
12-22-2013, 11:48 PM #1

I have been thinking about how to make the engine a little more torquey down low and thinking of a light overahaul, rings bearings and gaskets, on one of my spare engines.

I know the ford guys have been using a regrind, not sure but I think tacoma cam? Excelent results, power comes in 200rpm earlier, n/a engines pull harder, turbo engines build boost more agresively.

I wondered if anyone has tried something similar? I was thinking of a turbo from a 603, common in the junk yard cheap on half price day and I believe a .60 trim with a cam and clean up the ports intake and exhaust, perhaps a fresher ip if one is to be found at the junkyard. Hopefully it would make a nice drivable engine.

Simpler=Better
PORTED HEAD

12-23-2013, 09:33 AM #2
There are a few posts about it here and there, apparently the guy to work with is up in Canada and makes custom cams for TDIs. Figure around $400 and a good core cam to get started.

As the #1 design feature was efficiency/ emissions, I imagine there is something to be gained by running a hot cam.

Newbie-read this: Cheap Tricks
617.952-220k-Getting built up
larsalan I guess I need to look at this stupid ass drip shit. What you have to like mess with those elements on the pump? What a fucking hassle. then use some wire to hold the throttle open or some shit?
Simpler=Better
12-23-2013, 09:33 AM #2

There are a few posts about it here and there, apparently the guy to work with is up in Canada and makes custom cams for TDIs. Figure around $400 and a good core cam to get started.

As the #1 design feature was efficiency/ emissions, I imagine there is something to be gained by running a hot cam.

larsalan I guess I need to look at this stupid ass drip shit. What you have to like mess with those elements on the pump? What a fucking hassle. then use some wire to hold the throttle open or some shit?

NapaBavarian
GT2256V

12-23-2013, 12:38 PM #3
A quick search revealed my mistake, delta camshaft is the company name. They are located in Tacoma Washington.

$400 seems a bit spendy, delta seems to be in the buck and a quarter range +/- and has an excellent reputation, they can build up material before the grind so you don't lose lobe diameter and harden the finished product. I'm surd they have upset someone at some point, but I have yet to read about it in a forum.
NapaBavarian
12-23-2013, 12:38 PM #3

A quick search revealed my mistake, delta camshaft is the company name. They are located in Tacoma Washington.

$400 seems a bit spendy, delta seems to be in the buck and a quarter range +/- and has an excellent reputation, they can build up material before the grind so you don't lose lobe diameter and harden the finished product. I'm surd they have upset someone at some point, but I have yet to read about it in a forum.

Simpler=Better
PORTED HEAD

12-23-2013, 01:27 PM #4
125 is a steal, at that price I want to slap a cam in my DD

Simpler=Better
12-23-2013, 01:27 PM #4

125 is a steal, at that price I want to slap a cam in my DD

NapaBavarian
GT2256V

12-23-2013, 10:06 PM #6
Perhaps I should throw one over the fence at pnp
NapaBavarian
12-23-2013, 10:06 PM #6

Perhaps I should throw one over the fence at pnp

MFSuper90
Budget Builder

12-23-2013, 10:56 PM #7
$125? That's pretty awesome actually

'82 300D -3" straight pipe, ALDA deleted, 3in1 glowshift gauge, HX30, egr-less manifold, A/W intercooler Big Grin
'14 Ram 6.7l cummins -G56 handshaker, wishing it was deleted         
MFSuper90
12-23-2013, 10:56 PM #7

$125? That's pretty awesome actually

'82 300D -3" straight pipe, ALDA deleted, 3in1 glowshift gauge, HX30, egr-less manifold, A/W intercooler Big Grin

Austincarnut
Holset

12-23-2013, 11:47 PM #8
I have about 8 cam / cam tower sets laying around, waiting for such a thing...
just sayin

(12-22-2013, 11:48 PM)NapaBavarian I have been thinking about how to make the engine a little more torquey down low and thinking of a light overahaul, rings bearings and gaskets, on one of my spare engines.

Austincarnut
12-23-2013, 11:47 PM #8

I have about 8 cam / cam tower sets laying around, waiting for such a thing...
just sayin

(12-22-2013, 11:48 PM)NapaBavarian I have been thinking about how to make the engine a little more torquey down low and thinking of a light overahaul, rings bearings and gaskets, on one of my spare engines.

Simpler=Better
PORTED HEAD

12-24-2013, 09:35 AM #9
(12-23-2013, 11:47 PM)Austincarnut I have about 8 cam / cam tower sets laying around, waiting for such a thing...
just sayin

If you have a spare, send it out!

Simpler=Better
12-24-2013, 09:35 AM #9

(12-23-2013, 11:47 PM)Austincarnut I have about 8 cam / cam tower sets laying around, waiting for such a thing...
just sayin

Austincarnut
Holset

12-24-2013, 04:23 PM #10
has anyone on here dealt with them? I'd like to get it sent out as I'm in the middle of an engine rebuild...

(12-24-2013, 09:35 AM)Simpler=Better
just sayin

Austincarnut
12-24-2013, 04:23 PM #10

has anyone on here dealt with them? I'd like to get it sent out as I'm in the middle of an engine rebuild...

(12-24-2013, 09:35 AM)Simpler=Better
just sayin

NapaBavarian
GT2256V

12-24-2013, 04:44 PM #11
Google their name "delta camshaft" or "delta cam"
NapaBavarian
12-24-2013, 04:44 PM #11

Google their name "delta camshaft" or "delta cam"

NapaBavarian
GT2256V

12-24-2013, 08:10 PM #12
I'll try to aquire a couple I can send one in if someone wants to buy it and report on results, I wont be fixing my car for a couple months yet, mostly thinking of the future.
NapaBavarian
12-24-2013, 08:10 PM #12

I'll try to aquire a couple I can send one in if someone wants to buy it and report on results, I wont be fixing my car for a couple months yet, mostly thinking of the future.

carlitosgy6
Ranger Turbodiesel

12-25-2013, 08:08 PM #13
If im not wrong diesel cams has to be done smaller to gain power, i read somewhere that this diesel builder did a few tries with bigger cams and he only did less horsepower, but making it smaller made more, and the people from delta cams are good and cheap, sometimes they take longer than expected but their service is good
This post was last modified: 12-25-2013, 08:10 PM by carlitosgy6.
carlitosgy6
12-25-2013, 08:08 PM #13

If im not wrong diesel cams has to be done smaller to gain power, i read somewhere that this diesel builder did a few tries with bigger cams and he only did less horsepower, but making it smaller made more, and the people from delta cams are good and cheap, sometimes they take longer than expected but their service is good

MFSuper90
Budget Builder

12-25-2013, 11:55 PM #14
Bigger cams are better, gas or diesel. You just can't get one with so much lift that pistons meet the valves, they don't get along to well Wink

MFSuper90
12-25-2013, 11:55 PM #14

Bigger cams are better, gas or diesel. You just can't get one with so much lift that pistons meet the valves, they don't get along to well Wink

Duncansport
Holset

12-26-2013, 08:35 AM #15
This discussion needs to be a bit more technical to see if there could be any improvements to be gained. Big=what? More lift? More duration? More overlap?
Overlap could help greatly in the higher RPM range, but cause some hurt in the low to mid ranger (were we are all lacking already )

Higher Lift would have similar effect due to reduced intake velocities hurting the mid range and lower end or the power band.

More duration could be helpful but i would think M-B has already engineered the most based on the clearance ramps.

I like were this is going as i would be curious to see if there is anyone who has ever had a grind done and measured the gains. I would be open to the idea myself on the 605 engine.

Crazy as it sounds i think more gain could be made by adapting a M104,M272,M271 camshaft phaser. Although there is no peak power to be gain, there is a lot to be gained in the overall power band and feel.
Duncansport
12-26-2013, 08:35 AM #15

This discussion needs to be a bit more technical to see if there could be any improvements to be gained. Big=what? More lift? More duration? More overlap?
Overlap could help greatly in the higher RPM range, but cause some hurt in the low to mid ranger (were we are all lacking already )

Higher Lift would have similar effect due to reduced intake velocities hurting the mid range and lower end or the power band.

More duration could be helpful but i would think M-B has already engineered the most based on the clearance ramps.

I like were this is going as i would be curious to see if there is anyone who has ever had a grind done and measured the gains. I would be open to the idea myself on the 605 engine.

Crazy as it sounds i think more gain could be made by adapting a M104,M272,M271 camshaft phaser. Although there is no peak power to be gain, there is a lot to be gained in the overall power band and feel.

MFSuper90
Budget Builder

12-26-2013, 10:16 AM #16
On a 617, High rpm VE is what needs to be helped, so some overlap and higher lift would be in order correct?

It would take some figuring to find out just how much lift you can get before stuff starts going bang. Most likely plastigauge and the engine torn down to be sure. Sadly, these engines aren't like a cummins, no very many people go to great extremes on engine build, or even mild builds.

MFSuper90
12-26-2013, 10:16 AM #16

On a 617, High rpm VE is what needs to be helped, so some overlap and higher lift would be in order correct?

It would take some figuring to find out just how much lift you can get before stuff starts going bang. Most likely plastigauge and the engine torn down to be sure. Sadly, these engines aren't like a cummins, no very many people go to great extremes on engine build, or even mild builds.

raysorenson
Superturbo

12-26-2013, 12:38 PM #17
As I understand, a typical performance diesel grind will tighten the lobe separation angle. Just tightening the LSA without increasing duration will get you closer to overlap, but you want more duration too. Reducing LSA and adding overlap together is a recipe for overlap if you're not careful. Overlap can prevent your diesel from starting.

Grinding a diesel cam is a balancing act. I'm sure that once someone gets a 617 cam measured, the cam shop can tell you how much power has been left off the table by MB.
raysorenson
12-26-2013, 12:38 PM #17

As I understand, a typical performance diesel grind will tighten the lobe separation angle. Just tightening the LSA without increasing duration will get you closer to overlap, but you want more duration too. Reducing LSA and adding overlap together is a recipe for overlap if you're not careful. Overlap can prevent your diesel from starting.

Grinding a diesel cam is a balancing act. I'm sure that once someone gets a 617 cam measured, the cam shop can tell you how much power has been left off the table by MB.

MFSuper90
Budget Builder

12-26-2013, 11:04 PM #18
It also depends on what your doing with the engine. A street cam will be much different than a drag/pulling cam

MFSuper90
12-26-2013, 11:04 PM #18

It also depends on what your doing with the engine. A street cam will be much different than a drag/pulling cam

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average