STD Tuning Drivetrain more late 80s 5 speed to 617 ideas?

more late 80s 5 speed to 617 ideas?

more late 80s 5 speed to 617 ideas?

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

NapaBavarian
GT2256V

12-22-2013, 05:54 PM #1
I read 5spd617's thread and like the idea, I am interested in following up and taking it a little further. I have a pile of parts and pulled factory adapter plate from a 617 in the yard.

I like the idea but wonder if it could be improved upon some. Since the locating pins are the same I'm thinking start with a set of transfer punches, for those unfamiliar this is a punch that fits tight in a hole and has a small point in the center, a good wack with a ball peen hammer and you have the center of the hole you will drill with your drill press.

Once you have those 2 holes finished you can bolt it to the transmission and transfer all appropriate bolt holes, and draw the transmission outline.

I would keep the factory om617 starter location, so I'd clamp the new piece to the transmission side of the factory adaptor plate and transfer those 2 holes before moving it to the other side and marking the outline of the starter hump, inside of the hole, 4 plate to engine block.

At this point the outside can be trimmed and the template is complete, mark holes and transfering is easier.

I have also debated finding a sacrifical transmission to cut a starter hump from and fit it to the later transmission in the proper location leaving the unneeded hump in place, the completed adapter can be bolted to the transmission and new hump to ensure allignment. Since I'm trying to hoard pick n pull 5 speeds I'd look to an old automatic.

Now to my questions...

What thickness of plate? It seems factory is about an inch with the area behind the flywheel about half that. I'd like to find a thickness that allows the input shaft to reach the proper bearing. I'm not sure how this will affect the clutch disengagement but hopefully it won't. I'm wondering about using half inch plate and double stacking it around the edges.

Are there any off the shelf om617 flywheel spacers? I don't know that I would need one but it is good information to have. If I can work this out I may try to adapt to a chevy or jeep bellhousing for a jeep minicherokee in my barn and another to fit an om617 to a fishing boat project. I know these plates are already out there but prices keep creeping up.
NapaBavarian
12-22-2013, 05:54 PM #1

I read 5spd617's thread and like the idea, I am interested in following up and taking it a little further. I have a pile of parts and pulled factory adapter plate from a 617 in the yard.

I like the idea but wonder if it could be improved upon some. Since the locating pins are the same I'm thinking start with a set of transfer punches, for those unfamiliar this is a punch that fits tight in a hole and has a small point in the center, a good wack with a ball peen hammer and you have the center of the hole you will drill with your drill press.

Once you have those 2 holes finished you can bolt it to the transmission and transfer all appropriate bolt holes, and draw the transmission outline.

I would keep the factory om617 starter location, so I'd clamp the new piece to the transmission side of the factory adaptor plate and transfer those 2 holes before moving it to the other side and marking the outline of the starter hump, inside of the hole, 4 plate to engine block.

At this point the outside can be trimmed and the template is complete, mark holes and transfering is easier.

I have also debated finding a sacrifical transmission to cut a starter hump from and fit it to the later transmission in the proper location leaving the unneeded hump in place, the completed adapter can be bolted to the transmission and new hump to ensure allignment. Since I'm trying to hoard pick n pull 5 speeds I'd look to an old automatic.

Now to my questions...

What thickness of plate? It seems factory is about an inch with the area behind the flywheel about half that. I'd like to find a thickness that allows the input shaft to reach the proper bearing. I'm not sure how this will affect the clutch disengagement but hopefully it won't. I'm wondering about using half inch plate and double stacking it around the edges.

Are there any off the shelf om617 flywheel spacers? I don't know that I would need one but it is good information to have. If I can work this out I may try to adapt to a chevy or jeep bellhousing for a jeep minicherokee in my barn and another to fit an om617 to a fishing boat project. I know these plates are already out there but prices keep creeping up.

12-23-2013, 08:29 AM #2
I had similar plans, mainly getting a new back plate milled. And not just an dapator. And chnage starter location. But this would have only been possible since I had a W115 engine block with forward oil filter. On the W123 chassis engine block I think this would be very ambitious with the original oil filter housing...

I binned the plan even with the /8 block because - there's nothing the OM617 iron-pig can do better than the OM603...
This post was last modified: 12-23-2013, 08:33 AM by DiseaselWeasel.

'88 300CD Turbo Coupé - OM603
DiseaselWeasel
12-23-2013, 08:29 AM #2

I had similar plans, mainly getting a new back plate milled. And not just an dapator. And chnage starter location. But this would have only been possible since I had a W115 engine block with forward oil filter. On the W123 chassis engine block I think this would be very ambitious with the original oil filter housing...

I binned the plan even with the /8 block because - there's nothing the OM617 iron-pig can do better than the OM603...

'88 300CD Turbo Coupé - OM603

Simpler=Better
PORTED HEAD

12-23-2013, 10:31 AM #3
You will have to measure a few things to get the spacing right. I'm still hmming and hawing on my adapter setup.

Transfer punches make a 1-off easy

DieselWeasel-the 617 makes noise so much better with the hard adjust valve keepers. SLAP SLAP SLAP SLAP SLAP Big Grin

Newbie-read this: Cheap Tricks
617.952-220k-Getting built up
larsalan I guess I need to look at this stupid ass drip shit. What you have to like mess with those elements on the pump? What a fucking hassle. then use some wire to hold the throttle open or some shit?
Simpler=Better
12-23-2013, 10:31 AM #3

You will have to measure a few things to get the spacing right. I'm still hmming and hawing on my adapter setup.

Transfer punches make a 1-off easy

DieselWeasel-the 617 makes noise so much better with the hard adjust valve keepers. SLAP SLAP SLAP SLAP SLAP Big Grin

Newbie-read this: Cheap Tricks
617.952-220k-Getting built up
larsalan I guess I need to look at this stupid ass drip shit. What you have to like mess with those elements on the pump? What a fucking hassle. then use some wire to hold the throttle open or some shit?

Jooseppi Luna
Certified Nut

12-23-2013, 06:06 PM #4
Here's some adapters for ya.

-Jooseppi

1982 300SD -- 211k, Texas car, tranny issues

1979 240D 4-speed 234k -- turbo and tuned IP, third world taxi hot rod Big Grin .  Given to me by JB3, who got it from purplecomputer.

Some blasphemous vehicles in the fleet as well -- 2004 Corolla 5-speed and 1994 Buick Century

2 Samuel 12:13: "David said to Nathan, “I have sinned against the Lord.” And Nathan said to David, “The Lord also has put away your sin; you shall not die."
Jooseppi Luna
12-23-2013, 06:06 PM #4

Here's some adapters for ya.

-Jooseppi

1982 300SD -- 211k, Texas car, tranny issues

1979 240D 4-speed 234k -- turbo and tuned IP, third world taxi hot rod Big Grin .  Given to me by JB3, who got it from purplecomputer.

Some blasphemous vehicles in the fleet as well -- 2004 Corolla 5-speed and 1994 Buick Century

2 Samuel 12:13: "David said to Nathan, “I have sinned against the Lord.” And Nathan said to David, “The Lord also has put away your sin; you shall not die."

NapaBavarian
GT2256V

12-23-2013, 07:57 PM #5
DieselWeasel...
In USA the main advantage is that they exist Wink I have a 602 turbo 5 speed 190d and want a bigger coupe, 124 or 126 to acomidate my 6'2" frame better, but #17 is cast on most of our 603 heads...

Jooseppi...
Thanks, I thought their prices had gone up more, still reasonably priced, perhaps they could pull off an adapter like I mentioned, they'd sell
NapaBavarian
12-23-2013, 07:57 PM #5

DieselWeasel...
In USA the main advantage is that they exist Wink I have a 602 turbo 5 speed 190d and want a bigger coupe, 124 or 126 to acomidate my 6'2" frame better, but #17 is cast on most of our 603 heads...

Jooseppi...
Thanks, I thought their prices had gone up more, still reasonably priced, perhaps they could pull off an adapter like I mentioned, they'd sell

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average