STD Tuning Engine MB Newb IP question

MB Newb IP question

MB Newb IP question

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

vettelover
Naturally-aspirated

12-21-2013, 11:59 AM #1
Okie dokie boys and girls I have some questions about the IPs that I haven't been able to find here or anywhere else. First off yes I'm a newb to this site, yes I've been lurking for about 6 months, and yes by my username I do in fact love Corvettes.
On to the IP questions that I have.

This may sound dumb but what is the stock size of valves/plungers in an OM617a MW IP? I want to say that it's 5mm but I'm not sure. I'm asking because I've heard that a 6.5 - 7mm plungered super pump should with the right setup create a reliable 250-300 hp om617a.

With that said I also believe the IP to be manufactured by Bosch. The P pumps for the Cummins 6bt and 4bt is a Bosch pump. Stock plunger size for those is 10mm I believe.

Why not just disasembel a spare IP and have it bored to 10mm? Then just install the 10mm plungers from a Cummins P pump? Wouldn't that get a VERY desireable result? IE - GOBS of fuel? I know that knowone seems to be able to get the ellements for these pumps in the US. I just wonder if someone elses mind has come up with a similar idea and kept it to themselves.

Is this a sound idea? Is there something that I'm missing here? (I'm sure there is)

Would the 6mm plungers from a stock OM606 IP work?
This post was last modified: 12-21-2013, 12:30 PM by vettelover.
vettelover
12-21-2013, 11:59 AM #1

Okie dokie boys and girls I have some questions about the IPs that I haven't been able to find here or anywhere else. First off yes I'm a newb to this site, yes I've been lurking for about 6 months, and yes by my username I do in fact love Corvettes.
On to the IP questions that I have.

This may sound dumb but what is the stock size of valves/plungers in an OM617a MW IP? I want to say that it's 5mm but I'm not sure. I'm asking because I've heard that a 6.5 - 7mm plungered super pump should with the right setup create a reliable 250-300 hp om617a.

With that said I also believe the IP to be manufactured by Bosch. The P pumps for the Cummins 6bt and 4bt is a Bosch pump. Stock plunger size for those is 10mm I believe.

Why not just disasembel a spare IP and have it bored to 10mm? Then just install the 10mm plungers from a Cummins P pump? Wouldn't that get a VERY desireable result? IE - GOBS of fuel? I know that knowone seems to be able to get the ellements for these pumps in the US. I just wonder if someone elses mind has come up with a similar idea and kept it to themselves.

Is this a sound idea? Is there something that I'm missing here? (I'm sure there is)

Would the 6mm plungers from a stock OM606 IP work?

OM616
10mm MW

vettelover
Naturally-aspirated

12-21-2013, 01:06 PM #3
That guy never got his setup to work well though did he?

I just found a site online that sells the Bosch 7mm elements!
This post was last modified: 12-21-2013, 01:17 PM by vettelover.
vettelover
12-21-2013, 01:06 PM #3

That guy never got his setup to work well though did he?

raysorenson
Superturbo

12-21-2013, 02:09 PM #4
The 7mm elements fit the M, not the MW pump and have a bad reputation.
raysorenson
12-21-2013, 02:09 PM #4

The 7mm elements fit the M, not the MW pump and have a bad reputation.

OM616
10mm MW

12-21-2013, 02:35 PM #5
(12-21-2013, 01:06 PM)vettelover That guy never got his setup to work well though did he?

He only drove it once that I know of... And the way the pump shop tuned the governor was not right for it to make power, that is why it drove like a stock pump.

I have built a couple of 10mm MW pumps... You should do more digging... this topic has been discussed at great length..
OM616
12-21-2013, 02:35 PM #5

(12-21-2013, 01:06 PM)vettelover That guy never got his setup to work well though did he?

He only drove it once that I know of... And the way the pump shop tuned the governor was not right for it to make power, that is why it drove like a stock pump.

I have built a couple of 10mm MW pumps... You should do more digging... this topic has been discussed at great length..

vettelover
Naturally-aspirated

12-21-2013, 03:40 PM #6
OM616,
Thank you Sir for the response. I just finished reading the 4 page thread about the building of his 10mm IP. I'll admit I didn't understand a bit of it. I did find it all to be great information.
I'd like to ask what you would have done different on a 10mm element built IP? Did you use Chinese parts for yours? Or more the same line of thinking I was with and using 10mm ones out of a Cummins P7100?
It truely is a shame that thread died.
vettelover
vettelover
12-21-2013, 03:40 PM #6

OM616,
Thank you Sir for the response. I just finished reading the 4 page thread about the building of his 10mm IP. I'll admit I didn't understand a bit of it. I did find it all to be great information.
I'd like to ask what you would have done different on a 10mm element built IP? Did you use Chinese parts for yours? Or more the same line of thinking I was with and using 10mm ones out of a Cummins P7100?
vettelover

MFSuper90
Budget Builder

12-21-2013, 03:52 PM #7
p7100 is 12mm plungers.
I think why you don't see a lot of people doing it is because of how tough it is to get the governors set correctly. If they are not set correctly, it can drive like stock, worse, or dump all the fuel in and wash the cylinder walls, stick plungers, etc etc

'82 300D -3" straight pipe, ALDA deleted, 3in1 glowshift gauge, HX30, egr-less manifold, A/W intercooler Big Grin
'14 Ram 6.7l cummins -G56 handshaker, wishing it was deleted         
MFSuper90
12-21-2013, 03:52 PM #7

p7100 is 12mm plungers.
I think why you don't see a lot of people doing it is because of how tough it is to get the governors set correctly. If they are not set correctly, it can drive like stock, worse, or dump all the fuel in and wash the cylinder walls, stick plungers, etc etc

'82 300D -3" straight pipe, ALDA deleted, 3in1 glowshift gauge, HX30, egr-less manifold, A/W intercooler Big Grin
'14 Ram 6.7l cummins -G56 handshaker, wishing it was deleted         

OM616
10mm MW

12-21-2013, 08:21 PM #8
(12-21-2013, 03:40 PM)vettelover OM616,
vettelover

I guess you didn't read everything then lol... I am using China elements and altering them for my purposes.. When all is said and done, they are just as expensive as Bosch ones, but these are how I want them to be...

There about a gazillion different 10mm elements that will fit in a MW pump, and each one is different.. Plus the elements are only part of the system that really needs to be balanced to operate properly.
OM616
12-21-2013, 08:21 PM #8

(12-21-2013, 03:40 PM)vettelover OM616,
vettelover

I guess you didn't read everything then lol... I am using China elements and altering them for my purposes.. When all is said and done, they are just as expensive as Bosch ones, but these are how I want them to be...

There about a gazillion different 10mm elements that will fit in a MW pump, and each one is different.. Plus the elements are only part of the system that really needs to be balanced to operate properly.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average