STD Tuning Engine T3 rebuilt - still passes oil!

T3 rebuilt - still passes oil!

T3 rebuilt - still passes oil!

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Dusty-G
K26-2

12-01-2013, 08:26 AM #1
Hi, my G wagen rebuild has hit a bump in the road: the turbo is leaking oil again despite getting new bearings and oil seals.

Just some background: it has a somewhat agricultural T3 turbo installation on an OM617 with 285000km, and poor maintenance the last few years.

On inspecting the 'rebuilt' turbo I notice that there is about 1mm radial play (enough for the compressor wheel to just touch the housing) - not good. Of course the bearings were replaced, and the shaft seems in reasonable condition, but the bearings themselves move around in the housings front and back. So the play seems to be between the bearings and the housing. Am I right in thinking that this is abnormal? If so, then I am thinking of getting a new 'centre section' to replace mine.

Also, do the factory turbo installations have some method of restricting oil flow to the turbo - ie orifice plate or similar? Or does whatever flow from the oil filter housing get used? This installation has a small additional heat exchanger in line with the one integral with the radiator. I am wondering if too much pressure is being applied to the turbo oil supply.

Thanks for any assistance.
Dusty-G
12-01-2013, 08:26 AM #1

Hi, my G wagen rebuild has hit a bump in the road: the turbo is leaking oil again despite getting new bearings and oil seals.

Just some background: it has a somewhat agricultural T3 turbo installation on an OM617 with 285000km, and poor maintenance the last few years.

On inspecting the 'rebuilt' turbo I notice that there is about 1mm radial play (enough for the compressor wheel to just touch the housing) - not good. Of course the bearings were replaced, and the shaft seems in reasonable condition, but the bearings themselves move around in the housings front and back. So the play seems to be between the bearings and the housing. Am I right in thinking that this is abnormal? If so, then I am thinking of getting a new 'centre section' to replace mine.

Also, do the factory turbo installations have some method of restricting oil flow to the turbo - ie orifice plate or similar? Or does whatever flow from the oil filter housing get used? This installation has a small additional heat exchanger in line with the one integral with the radiator. I am wondering if too much pressure is being applied to the turbo oil supply.

Thanks for any assistance.

MFSuper90
Budget Builder

12-01-2013, 08:45 AM #2
If someone rebuilt the turbo before you, they could have bored the housing and turns down the shaft. I had this trouble on my hx30. A cheap solution was to measure the bore and shaft and order a set of bearing with oversized bore and/or undersized shaft hole

Also, if your drain is not big enough it will burn oil
This post was last modified: 12-01-2013, 09:01 AM by MFSuper90.

'82 300D -3" straight pipe, ALDA deleted, 3in1 glowshift gauge, HX30, egr-less manifold, A/W intercooler Big Grin
'14 Ram 6.7l cummins -G56 handshaker, wishing it was deleted         
MFSuper90
12-01-2013, 08:45 AM #2

If someone rebuilt the turbo before you, they could have bored the housing and turns down the shaft. I had this trouble on my hx30. A cheap solution was to measure the bore and shaft and order a set of bearing with oversized bore and/or undersized shaft hole

Also, if your drain is not big enough it will burn oil

'82 300D -3" straight pipe, ALDA deleted, 3in1 glowshift gauge, HX30, egr-less manifold, A/W intercooler Big Grin
'14 Ram 6.7l cummins -G56 handshaker, wishing it was deleted         

kmaser
Turbocharged G-Wagen

12-01-2013, 02:14 PM #3
I would say with nearly 100% confidence that you have too much oil to the turbo as I had the same issue when I changed my turbo and supply line and did not notice the restriction in the stock line to where the flange bolts up. The oil pressure can exceed 100psimwhne cold and or high rpm, the oil hole restriction is I believe 2mm. Are you using the same size supply line as stock?
kmaser
12-01-2013, 02:14 PM #3

I would say with nearly 100% confidence that you have too much oil to the turbo as I had the same issue when I changed my turbo and supply line and did not notice the restriction in the stock line to where the flange bolts up. The oil pressure can exceed 100psimwhne cold and or high rpm, the oil hole restriction is I believe 2mm. Are you using the same size supply line as stock?

Dusty-G
K26-2

12-01-2013, 09:12 PM #4
(12-01-2013, 02:14 PM)kmaser I would say with nearly 100% confidence that you have too much oil to the turbo as I had the same issue when I changed my turbo and supply line and did not notice the restriction in the stock line to where the flange bolts up. The oil pressure can exceed 100psimwhne cold and or high rpm, the oil hole restriction is I believe 2mm. Are you using the same size supply line as stock?

This engine is the na OM617 which has a turbo fitted. The supply line is a good size, I have not found any restrictor in it. Come to think of it, I ran the engine for only 5 min or so before noticing the blue exhaust smoke and also a split in the return oil pipe - the one feeding into the sump. I think this split happened at this time. Is it possible that the turbo is being overwhelmed with oil???
Dusty-G
12-01-2013, 09:12 PM #4

(12-01-2013, 02:14 PM)kmaser I would say with nearly 100% confidence that you have too much oil to the turbo as I had the same issue when I changed my turbo and supply line and did not notice the restriction in the stock line to where the flange bolts up. The oil pressure can exceed 100psimwhne cold and or high rpm, the oil hole restriction is I believe 2mm. Are you using the same size supply line as stock?

This engine is the na OM617 which has a turbo fitted. The supply line is a good size, I have not found any restrictor in it. Come to think of it, I ran the engine for only 5 min or so before noticing the blue exhaust smoke and also a split in the return oil pipe - the one feeding into the sump. I think this split happened at this time. Is it possible that the turbo is being overwhelmed with oil???

kmaser
Turbocharged G-Wagen

12-02-2013, 07:16 PM #5
What size return/drain line are you using what type of hose. You could have 2 issues, too much oil and too small of a drain line.
kmaser
12-02-2013, 07:16 PM #5

What size return/drain line are you using what type of hose. You could have 2 issues, too much oil and too small of a drain line.

Dusty-G
K26-2

12-02-2013, 11:02 PM #6
(12-02-2013, 07:16 PM)kmaser What size return/drain line are you using what type of hose. You could have 2 issues, too much oil and too small of a drain line.

The supply line is from the oil filter housing, from where what looks like an electrical switch/sensor is attached down low against the firewall. This line has an OD of about 15mm, and is 6mm ID at the fitting.

The return is ID 16mm, and I have verified that there is no blockage in it as it enters the sump...

I the mean time I have ordered a new centre section for the turbo as I would like to eliminate this as a cause for concern!
Dusty-G
12-02-2013, 11:02 PM #6

(12-02-2013, 07:16 PM)kmaser What size return/drain line are you using what type of hose. You could have 2 issues, too much oil and too small of a drain line.

The supply line is from the oil filter housing, from where what looks like an electrical switch/sensor is attached down low against the firewall. This line has an OD of about 15mm, and is 6mm ID at the fitting.

The return is ID 16mm, and I have verified that there is no blockage in it as it enters the sump...

I the mean time I have ordered a new centre section for the turbo as I would like to eliminate this as a cause for concern!

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average