STD Tuning Engine Pump Elements

Pump Elements

Pump Elements

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

IsaacDW
Turbo-charged

07-13-2009, 04:45 PM #1
After spending much time reading various threads here, I still am not completely clear on what injection pump elements are. I know that they somehow are affiliated with the injection of fuel and that larger ones flow more. I would really like to know more about injection pump elements, how to replace them, and learn exactly what role they play in the injection pump.

Basically what I am asking (on behalf of myself or any other unknowing people) is for anyone that knows about these to post as much information, pictures, and possibly a pictoral of how work with injection pump elements, so that I and others could begin to consider this upgrade as elements become more readily available.
IsaacDW
07-13-2009, 04:45 PM #1

After spending much time reading various threads here, I still am not completely clear on what injection pump elements are. I know that they somehow are affiliated with the injection of fuel and that larger ones flow more. I would really like to know more about injection pump elements, how to replace them, and learn exactly what role they play in the injection pump.

Basically what I am asking (on behalf of myself or any other unknowing people) is for anyone that knows about these to post as much information, pictures, and possibly a pictoral of how work with injection pump elements, so that I and others could begin to consider this upgrade as elements become more readily available.

GREASY_BEAST
Holset

07-13-2009, 04:54 PM #2
The injector pump contains a camshaft powered by the timing chain that rotates at 1/2 engine speed (just like the camshaft in the head that actuates the valves). The pump camshaft pushes on plungers (one for each cylinder). When a cam on the pump camshaft actuates a plunger, fuel is pushed through the injector lines, through the injector, and into the cylinder.

Now the tricky part: How much fuel?

Answer: The sleeve that surrounds the plunger has a helical cut in it. This sleeve is rotated by the "rack" that is hooked to the governor, and ultimately (indirectly) to the fuel lever (accelerator). The angular position of the sleeve, by virtue of its helical cut, determines how much fuel is injected per each plunger actuation.

An injector "element" is composed of a plunger and its sleeve. They are matched parts and machined to fairly close tolerances. This is a fairly simplistic explanation but I think its sufficient to get the general idea across.
GREASY_BEAST
07-13-2009, 04:54 PM #2

The injector pump contains a camshaft powered by the timing chain that rotates at 1/2 engine speed (just like the camshaft in the head that actuates the valves). The pump camshaft pushes on plungers (one for each cylinder). When a cam on the pump camshaft actuates a plunger, fuel is pushed through the injector lines, through the injector, and into the cylinder.

Now the tricky part: How much fuel?

Answer: The sleeve that surrounds the plunger has a helical cut in it. This sleeve is rotated by the "rack" that is hooked to the governor, and ultimately (indirectly) to the fuel lever (accelerator). The angular position of the sleeve, by virtue of its helical cut, determines how much fuel is injected per each plunger actuation.

An injector "element" is composed of a plunger and its sleeve. They are matched parts and machined to fairly close tolerances. This is a fairly simplistic explanation but I think its sufficient to get the general idea across.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average