white smoke

white smoke

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

barrote
Superturbo

11-18-2013, 10:12 AM #1
hello fine people,
any guess?
605 engine starts very well, after start runs on 4 cylinder for a while at least till hot , i mean very hot, white smoke from exaust, a lot of white smoke, even after hot. low oil pressure after hot sometimes slight below one bar. coolant temp on highway goes above 100ºC , haven´t seen how far it goes i think it will climb 110ºC, very important , a lot of nailing noise, even after hot. power good , not as it was but still good.
anyone got the same simptoms, i would apreciate some guesses before rip the engine appart.
regards
FD

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel
barrote
11-18-2013, 10:12 AM #1

hello fine people,
any guess?
605 engine starts very well, after start runs on 4 cylinder for a while at least till hot , i mean very hot, white smoke from exaust, a lot of white smoke, even after hot. low oil pressure after hot sometimes slight below one bar. coolant temp on highway goes above 100ºC , haven´t seen how far it goes i think it will climb 110ºC, very important , a lot of nailing noise, even after hot. power good , not as it was but still good.
anyone got the same simptoms, i would apreciate some guesses before rip the engine appart.
regards
FD

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel

stripy
Naturally-aspirated

11-18-2013, 04:50 PM #2
id guess head gasket is blown!
nailing noise can come from the valve lifters. when they dont get oil/pressure.
you could try a compresion tester. maybe that can give som answers!
stripy
11-18-2013, 04:50 PM #2

id guess head gasket is blown!
nailing noise can come from the valve lifters. when they dont get oil/pressure.
you could try a compresion tester. maybe that can give som answers!

bricktron
'77 240D

11-18-2013, 07:30 PM #3
another possibility (no idea how likely) is incomplete injection due to dirty injectors and/or mistimed injection. luckily, both of those can be tried without tearing off the head. boa sorte.

english red rat rod 1977 240D, OM617.952 burning B99.9, iron 4-speed & 2.88 diff, 195/60/R14 on alloys, 5mph bumpers, battery in the trunk, 25mm swaybar, 4x ECE H4 lamps, double brake lamps, deleted sunroof, export zoll & california blue plates

bricktron
11-18-2013, 07:30 PM #3

another possibility (no idea how likely) is incomplete injection due to dirty injectors and/or mistimed injection. luckily, both of those can be tried without tearing off the head. boa sorte.

english red rat rod 1977 240D, OM617.952 burning B99.9, iron 4-speed & 2.88 diff, 195/60/R14 on alloys, 5mph bumpers, battery in the trunk, 25mm swaybar, 4x ECE H4 lamps, double brake lamps, deleted sunroof, export zoll & california blue plates

barrote
Superturbo

11-19-2013, 04:11 AM #4
yep , something is, and very strange indeed, how often does a oil pump fail in this engines? anyone know a case?
regards.
bricktron, Qatar!!!

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel
barrote
11-19-2013, 04:11 AM #4

yep , something is, and very strange indeed, how often does a oil pump fail in this engines? anyone know a case?
regards.
bricktron, Qatar!!!

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel

hansendk
TA 0301

11-19-2013, 06:47 AM #5
well I learnt a long time ago

white = water
blue = oil
black = fuel
so I vote for head gasket and the is nothing wrong with your oil pump, the oil is water cooled so hot water means even hotter oil = low pressure
if it was me I would take the exhaust manifold of and look in to the valves find the clean cylinder there is your problem
its also possible to take the glow plugs and look at them it might also be possible to see on the injectors
again look for the 1 that stands out.
hansendk
11-19-2013, 06:47 AM #5

well I learnt a long time ago

white = water
blue = oil
black = fuel
so I vote for head gasket and the is nothing wrong with your oil pump, the oil is water cooled so hot water means even hotter oil = low pressure
if it was me I would take the exhaust manifold of and look in to the valves find the clean cylinder there is your problem
its also possible to take the glow plugs and look at them it might also be possible to see on the injectors
again look for the 1 that stands out.

barrote
Superturbo

11-19-2013, 10:28 AM #6
thanks for your guess.
white smoke can tell more about the combustion temp/press than water leaking inside. well the nailing is related to valve lifters, im positive on that. i might have exaust valves burned and seating wrong , or they just dont seat well due valve lifters beeing working wrong. that leaves the low oil pressure and eng temp to sort about.
i will remove the injectors for setup and cleaning. i will look at the exaust valves as well.
thanks.

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel
barrote
11-19-2013, 10:28 AM #6

thanks for your guess.
white smoke can tell more about the combustion temp/press than water leaking inside. well the nailing is related to valve lifters, im positive on that. i might have exaust valves burned and seating wrong , or they just dont seat well due valve lifters beeing working wrong. that leaves the low oil pressure and eng temp to sort about.
i will remove the injectors for setup and cleaning. i will look at the exaust valves as well.
thanks.

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel

Mark_M
GT2559V

11-19-2013, 12:57 PM #7
compression test will tell you if it is a head gasket or valves in seconds without taking everything apart. You could also do a sniffer test on the coolant that will tell you about the head gasket but not the valves.
Mark_M
11-19-2013, 12:57 PM #7

compression test will tell you if it is a head gasket or valves in seconds without taking everything apart. You could also do a sniffer test on the coolant that will tell you about the head gasket but not the valves.

barrote
Superturbo

11-19-2013, 01:25 PM #8
which compression test , and how it is done. can i use injector well for test, runing the engine on starter or at low idle? how much pressure should i search for?
thanks

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel
barrote
11-19-2013, 01:25 PM #8

which compression test , and how it is done. can i use injector well for test, runing the engine on starter or at low idle? how much pressure should i search for?
thanks

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel

Mark_M
GT2559V

11-19-2013, 02:06 PM #9
I use a tester I made myself from a pressure gauge and a hollowed out glow plug. From that you will realise that it is the glow plug hole that you test from and not the injector. You can buy a tester although it has to be a diesel one. Petrol ones don't go high enough. Borrowing one might be an option as well?
ultimate pressure doesn't really matter but what does matter is that they are all nearly the same. Any low cylinders have a problem.
You only test while cranking, don't start the engine.
Mark_M
11-19-2013, 02:06 PM #9

I use a tester I made myself from a pressure gauge and a hollowed out glow plug. From that you will realise that it is the glow plug hole that you test from and not the injector. You can buy a tester although it has to be a diesel one. Petrol ones don't go high enough. Borrowing one might be an option as well?
ultimate pressure doesn't really matter but what does matter is that they are all nearly the same. Any low cylinders have a problem.
You only test while cranking, don't start the engine.

barrote
Superturbo

11-19-2013, 04:51 PM #10
u´re right , i´ve seen what merc tell´s to be the be the specs. new btw 29/35 bar , weared engine below 18 , max btw cyl below 3 BAR.
i´m not able to remove glow plugs, it got to be through injector well.
by the way , u know how much they ask for a wrench to remove pre chambers around there?
thanks

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel
barrote
11-19-2013, 04:51 PM #10

u´re right , i´ve seen what merc tell´s to be the be the specs. new btw 29/35 bar , weared engine below 18 , max btw cyl below 3 BAR.
i´m not able to remove glow plugs, it got to be through injector well.
by the way , u know how much they ask for a wrench to remove pre chambers around there?
thanks

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel

hansendk
TA 0301

11-19-2013, 11:41 PM #11
dont try to remove the prechambers without removing the glow plugs first that will cut the tip of the glow plug and you have to buy new ones
hansendk
11-19-2013, 11:41 PM #11

dont try to remove the prechambers without removing the glow plugs first that will cut the tip of the glow plug and you have to buy new ones

barrote
Superturbo

01-22-2014, 12:43 PM #12
hello fine people,
find the source of my problema, low compression on cyl #2 about 10 bar, the others about 14bar. so the white smoke is unburned fuel due lack of temperature and pressure. the high temp on the engine is related to radiator problems, clean it up and dropped to slightly above normal. used acid/water 50/50 to clean it.
Diagnosis: valves are not sitting well and sealing properly, need to check them.
Now i still have a problem, how can i figuer out how much pressure is going through piston rings? since i´m about to open the engine how do i know if is needed to change the rings?. Does any one know a test for leaking rings, onestly i dont understand MB leak test.
By the way , get your injectors to 150BAR and u will love the sound and response.
regards

FD,