STD Tuning Engine 606 swap help requested

606 swap help requested

606 swap help requested

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Suppatime
Naturally-aspirated

11-05-2013, 11:59 PM #1
I have been reading and reading now for months as I assemble all the parts for my swap.

Let me start off by letting you know what I'm getting into here... I'm in the US and have a 1980 300GD (Gelandewagen) and I've been reading about many different swaps. I currently have the OM617 non-turbo in front of a 4-speed manual.

TheDon put his OM606 / 603 IP up for sale on one of the forums back in April and I purchased it from him, as well as a Getrag GL 76/27-5 NFZ that is W463 G-specific. I've sourced a clutch and dual-mass flywheel solution from Eurotruck and am gearing up for the install.

But I'd like to start off saying I'm not going for high-horsepower in the beginning. I'm aiming to get the thing running and driving reliably before I tweak much of anything. Which leads me to my questions:

I have an Iveco 2.9L van intercooler, a Donaldson air cleaner and the stock K14 turbo. I'll have to figure out piping once things start going in. Maxing out the 603's injection pump, what kind of power am I looking at? What are things to watch out for?

I'll have to swap the electronic waste gate to a manual one, and set it between 12-14 psi, from what I've read... if this is incorrect, please let me know. Does anyone know of any manual waste gates that work on the K14? I haven't seen a lot of support.

Anyone who has done this swap with a Mercedes / Getrag transmission, regardless of vehicle... what clutches have you chosen? I know there's a single-mass flywheel option, but I'd rather not destroy my 30 year old VG80 transfer case... again, just trying to get her running at first.

Thanks for my gleaming novice here... though I've worked on cars for years, this is my first swap and my first turbo.

1980 Mercedes Benz 300GD (Gelandewagen)

OM617 n/a
4-speed manual
Front/Rear hydraulic lockers
Suppatime
11-05-2013, 11:59 PM #1

I have been reading and reading now for months as I assemble all the parts for my swap.

Let me start off by letting you know what I'm getting into here... I'm in the US and have a 1980 300GD (Gelandewagen) and I've been reading about many different swaps. I currently have the OM617 non-turbo in front of a 4-speed manual.

TheDon put his OM606 / 603 IP up for sale on one of the forums back in April and I purchased it from him, as well as a Getrag GL 76/27-5 NFZ that is W463 G-specific. I've sourced a clutch and dual-mass flywheel solution from Eurotruck and am gearing up for the install.

But I'd like to start off saying I'm not going for high-horsepower in the beginning. I'm aiming to get the thing running and driving reliably before I tweak much of anything. Which leads me to my questions:

I have an Iveco 2.9L van intercooler, a Donaldson air cleaner and the stock K14 turbo. I'll have to figure out piping once things start going in. Maxing out the 603's injection pump, what kind of power am I looking at? What are things to watch out for?

I'll have to swap the electronic waste gate to a manual one, and set it between 12-14 psi, from what I've read... if this is incorrect, please let me know. Does anyone know of any manual waste gates that work on the K14? I haven't seen a lot of support.

Anyone who has done this swap with a Mercedes / Getrag transmission, regardless of vehicle... what clutches have you chosen? I know there's a single-mass flywheel option, but I'd rather not destroy my 30 year old VG80 transfer case... again, just trying to get her running at first.

Thanks for my gleaming novice here... though I've worked on cars for years, this is my first swap and my first turbo.

1980 Mercedes Benz 300GD (Gelandewagen)

OM617 n/a
4-speed manual
Front/Rear hydraulic lockers

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average