STD Tuning Engine What do do with the W115 intake manifold.

What do do with the W115 intake manifold.

What do do with the W115 intake manifold.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

OneEyedWilly
Naturally-aspirated

10-14-2013, 10:35 PM #1
I just got a intake manifold from a guy scraping out his car, and now that ive got it, does anyone know what to do about the holes/ where the sensors go/ where the boost gauge line goes?

I saw in some pictures it looks like someone drilled out a hole and threaded it, and capped off the two big holes, is that pretty much what I need to do?
OneEyedWilly
10-14-2013, 10:35 PM #1

I just got a intake manifold from a guy scraping out his car, and now that ive got it, does anyone know what to do about the holes/ where the sensors go/ where the boost gauge line goes?

I saw in some pictures it looks like someone drilled out a hole and threaded it, and capped off the two big holes, is that pretty much what I need to do?

lgreeley83
Mr. Rumbles

10-15-2013, 05:50 AM #2
You could do that. It would probably be cleaner looking that way. The inlet you may want to do something with. If yours is cast like mine there is a lip on top but not the bottom. I haven't smoothed mine yet and I have evidence of a tiny boost leak around the silicon. Of course I run about 20psi to it. And i think its a goofy size too.

If you check out my Chicago 300d thread you can probably find a pic of my manifold with no modifications to it. It works but someday...(the story of my life) I'll make it work better.

Oh and you could probably weld those holes shut but I found an oil pan bolt to seal one and used the other for boost gauge.
This post was last modified: 10-15-2013, 05:52 AM by lgreeley83.

" straighten up that star on the grill, assholes."

lgreeley83
10-15-2013, 05:50 AM #2

You could do that. It would probably be cleaner looking that way. The inlet you may want to do something with. If yours is cast like mine there is a lip on top but not the bottom. I haven't smoothed mine yet and I have evidence of a tiny boost leak around the silicon. Of course I run about 20psi to it. And i think its a goofy size too.

If you check out my Chicago 300d thread you can probably find a pic of my manifold with no modifications to it. It works but someday...(the story of my life) I'll make it work better.

Oh and you could probably weld those holes shut but I found an oil pan bolt to seal one and used the other for boost gauge.

lgreeley83
Mr. Rumbles

10-15-2013, 07:22 AM #3
Oh and..lol... Check out captain's. His is modified for integrated air water intercooler. I'm jealous.

lgreeley83
10-15-2013, 07:22 AM #3

Oh and..lol... Check out captain's. His is modified for integrated air water intercooler. I'm jealous.

Simpler=Better
PORTED HEAD

10-15-2013, 09:30 AM #4
I tapped those holes to NPT threads and installed a plug and boost gauge line.

The manifolds are almost ready to go, I spent probably 2 hours on mine lightly matching the outlets and smoothing the inlet. If you get a sharp rotary burr tool it goes faster.

Newbie-read this: Cheap Tricks
617.952-220k-Getting built up
larsalan I guess I need to look at this stupid ass drip shit. What you have to like mess with those elements on the pump? What a fucking hassle. then use some wire to hold the throttle open or some shit?
Simpler=Better
10-15-2013, 09:30 AM #4

I tapped those holes to NPT threads and installed a plug and boost gauge line.

The manifolds are almost ready to go, I spent probably 2 hours on mine lightly matching the outlets and smoothing the inlet. If you get a sharp rotary burr tool it goes faster.

larsalan I guess I need to look at this stupid ass drip shit. What you have to like mess with those elements on the pump? What a fucking hassle. then use some wire to hold the throttle open or some shit?

OneEyedWilly
Naturally-aspirated

10-15-2013, 04:20 PM #5
Yeah I think that I will just smooth it out now. And I will go ahead and make new holes, I really dont want to have to add more nylon line to my boost line and the just put the sensor in that flat area in the back that looks like it would be a good platform to drill into. lol
OneEyedWilly
10-15-2013, 04:20 PM #5

Yeah I think that I will just smooth it out now. And I will go ahead and make new holes, I really dont want to have to add more nylon line to my boost line and the just put the sensor in that flat area in the back that looks like it would be a good platform to drill into. lol

OneEyedWilly
Naturally-aspirated

10-15-2013, 11:09 PM #6
(10-15-2013, 09:30 AM)Simpler=Better I tapped those holes to NPT threads and installed a plug and boost gauge line.

What do you meant "to NPT"?

And i was just planning on using a angle grinder.
OneEyedWilly
10-15-2013, 11:09 PM #6

(10-15-2013, 09:30 AM)Simpler=Better I tapped those holes to NPT threads and installed a plug and boost gauge line.

What do you meant "to NPT"?

And i was just planning on using a angle grinder.

larsalan
Superturbo

10-16-2013, 08:06 AM #7
npt it national pipe thread.
Like refers to the pitch and depth of the threads. Like all the fitting in the pipe aisle at the hardware are going to be in the npt standard.

Also, the angle grinder may work to smooth out the outer sides of the mani. I think the burr tool is being recommended for port matching. Dig it?

Rusted out beat down 300d turbo 82' -- RIP
Nice body, tons of ridiculous mechanical issues - 300d turbo 82' /motor 85'
larsalan
10-16-2013, 08:06 AM #7

npt it national pipe thread.
Like refers to the pitch and depth of the threads. Like all the fitting in the pipe aisle at the hardware are going to be in the npt standard.

Also, the angle grinder may work to smooth out the outer sides of the mani. I think the burr tool is being recommended for port matching. Dig it?

Rusted out beat down 300d turbo 82' -- RIP
Nice body, tons of ridiculous mechanical issues - 300d turbo 82' /motor 85'

Simpler=Better
PORTED HEAD

10-16-2013, 08:32 AM #8
(10-16-2013, 08:06 AM)larsalan npt it national pipe thread.

Nail on the head. NPT is mad easy to find, forget those random metric fittings. Ignore how lopsided my drilling job was, I was still loopy on parts cleaner when I drilled it.

When smoothing out the runners you want to keep the same internal diameter throughout, and smooth over any casting imperfections. You don't want to create a weird bubble at the mating flange by hogging out to the gasket diameter (unless you've already hogged out your head to match). The photo below is my finished diameter (it's being used on a stock head).

On my "super duper" head I would have hogged them out more.

This post was last modified: 10-16-2013, 08:37 AM by Simpler=Better.

Simpler=Better
10-16-2013, 08:32 AM #8

(10-16-2013, 08:06 AM)larsalan npt it national pipe thread.

Nail on the head. NPT is mad easy to find, forget those random metric fittings. Ignore how lopsided my drilling job was, I was still loopy on parts cleaner when I drilled it.

When smoothing out the runners you want to keep the same internal diameter throughout, and smooth over any casting imperfections. You don't want to create a weird bubble at the mating flange by hogging out to the gasket diameter (unless you've already hogged out your head to match). The photo below is my finished diameter (it's being used on a stock head).

On my "super duper" head I would have hogged them out more.

OneEyedWilly
Naturally-aspirated

10-16-2013, 12:06 PM #9
What did you use to get it smooth and the same up those runners?
OneEyedWilly
10-16-2013, 12:06 PM #9

What did you use to get it smooth and the same up those runners?

Simpler=Better
PORTED HEAD

10-16-2013, 12:25 PM #10
(10-16-2013, 12:06 PM)OneEyedWilly What did you use to get it smooth and the same up those runners?

Carbide burr and a round flapper wheel on the end of an air tool.
[Image: Carbide-Bur-SF.jpg]
[Image: 3m-cloth-flap-wheel-type-83-1-inch-by-1-inch-35475.jpg]

Simpler=Better
10-16-2013, 12:25 PM #10

(10-16-2013, 12:06 PM)OneEyedWilly What did you use to get it smooth and the same up those runners?

Carbide burr and a round flapper wheel on the end of an air tool.
[Image: Carbide-Bur-SF.jpg]
[Image: 3m-cloth-flap-wheel-type-83-1-inch-by-1-inch-35475.jpg]

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average