STD Tuning Engine What exhaust size on a HX35w?

What exhaust size on a HX35w?

What exhaust size on a HX35w?

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Tito
Holset

10-07-2013, 12:41 PM #1
Hi guys. I'm fairly new here, But I love this forum. Gives me a load of information and entertainment. I love to see what awesome cars you build!

Anyway, My project is coming to an end. I've just finished a gauge cluster with a laser cutter. The only thing left to do is the exhaust. The hx35w already has a 3.5" downpipe that i build recently. But, should I build the whole exhaust 3.5"? I would prefer a 3" exhaust but wouldn't that be a restriction? I want a stealth look and sound. And i can get 3" mufflers. But the 3.5" are rare and often very expensive. And i think 3.5" mufflers are often for racing purposes so I think they're kinda loud.

I could build a muffler myself? any ideas? My knowledge and experience about exhausts is zero.
Tito
10-07-2013, 12:41 PM #1

Hi guys. I'm fairly new here, But I love this forum. Gives me a load of information and entertainment. I love to see what awesome cars you build!

Anyway, My project is coming to an end. I've just finished a gauge cluster with a laser cutter. The only thing left to do is the exhaust. The hx35w already has a 3.5" downpipe that i build recently. But, should I build the whole exhaust 3.5"? I would prefer a 3" exhaust but wouldn't that be a restriction? I want a stealth look and sound. And i can get 3" mufflers. But the 3.5" are rare and often very expensive. And i think 3.5" mufflers are often for racing purposes so I think they're kinda loud.

I could build a muffler myself? any ideas? My knowledge and experience about exhausts is zero.

Simpler=Better
PORTED HEAD

10-07-2013, 01:24 PM #2
pi*r*r=area tell us that:
2.5"dia=4.9sqin
3" dia=7 sqin
3.5" dia=9.6 sqin
4" dia=12.5 sqin

I would run 3.5 downpipe and 3.5" pipe as far as I could fit it, then let it go down to a 3" muffler. That would probably be okay. If you're super concerned about restriction run a 3.5 down to a smooth transitioning "Y" and dual 2.5" mufflers.

We all like big & bad exhausts, but in all reality the only time you need the big pipe is when you're at full boost and high rpm. You would probably be okay with 2" as long as you kept it under 3psi and 2,000rpm Tongue

Newbie-read this: Cheap Tricks
617.952-220k-Getting built up
larsalan I guess I need to look at this stupid ass drip shit. What you have to like mess with those elements on the pump? What a fucking hassle. then use some wire to hold the throttle open or some shit?
Simpler=Better
10-07-2013, 01:24 PM #2

pi*r*r=area tell us that:
2.5"dia=4.9sqin
3" dia=7 sqin
3.5" dia=9.6 sqin
4" dia=12.5 sqin

I would run 3.5 downpipe and 3.5" pipe as far as I could fit it, then let it go down to a 3" muffler. That would probably be okay. If you're super concerned about restriction run a 3.5 down to a smooth transitioning "Y" and dual 2.5" mufflers.

We all like big & bad exhausts, but in all reality the only time you need the big pipe is when you're at full boost and high rpm. You would probably be okay with 2" as long as you kept it under 3psi and 2,000rpm Tongue

larsalan I guess I need to look at this stupid ass drip shit. What you have to like mess with those elements on the pump? What a fucking hassle. then use some wire to hold the throttle open or some shit?

MFSuper90
Budget Builder

10-07-2013, 10:10 PM #3
You could build your own mufflers, if you have the materials and the skill, but in all reality if you take the time it would take you to make one its more efficient to buy one, in my opinion.
And I don't think 3" would be a restriction at all, after all it's only a 3.0L

'82 300D -3" straight pipe, ALDA deleted, 3in1 glowshift gauge, HX30, egr-less manifold, A/W intercooler Big Grin
'14 Ram 6.7l cummins -G56 handshaker, wishing it was deleted         
MFSuper90
10-07-2013, 10:10 PM #3

You could build your own mufflers, if you have the materials and the skill, but in all reality if you take the time it would take you to make one its more efficient to buy one, in my opinion.
And I don't think 3" would be a restriction at all, after all it's only a 3.0L

'82 300D -3" straight pipe, ALDA deleted, 3in1 glowshift gauge, HX30, egr-less manifold, A/W intercooler Big Grin
'14 Ram 6.7l cummins -G56 handshaker, wishing it was deleted         

Tito
Holset

10-08-2013, 05:03 AM #4
Yeah, I've seen some people on the internet who build their own mufflers. Can't say it's a success. The damping material keeps blowing out.

The Y-splitter is a great idea to keep the full 3.5" flow. But if you think the 3" wouldn't be that much of a restriction, I run a 3.5" till about the end of the driveshaft, and after that there's space for 2 3" mufflers behind each other. , i'm not going flat out all the time.
Good idea?
Tito
10-08-2013, 05:03 AM #4

Yeah, I've seen some people on the internet who build their own mufflers. Can't say it's a success. The damping material keeps blowing out.

The Y-splitter is a great idea to keep the full 3.5" flow. But if you think the 3" wouldn't be that much of a restriction, I run a 3.5" till about the end of the driveshaft, and after that there's space for 2 3" mufflers behind each other. , i'm not going flat out all the time.
Good idea?

Simpler=Better
PORTED HEAD

10-08-2013, 06:22 AM #5
(10-08-2013, 05:03 AM)Tito Yeah, I've seen some people on the internet who build their own mufflers. Can't say it's a success. The damping material keeps blowing out.

Good idea?

Go for it. Are you planning on glasspacks, straight baffles, or a suitcase muffler?

Simpler=Better
10-08-2013, 06:22 AM #5

(10-08-2013, 05:03 AM)Tito Yeah, I've seen some people on the internet who build their own mufflers. Can't say it's a success. The damping material keeps blowing out.

Good idea?

Go for it. Are you planning on glasspacks, straight baffles, or a suitcase muffler?

Tito
Holset

10-09-2013, 02:57 AM #6
Probably suitcase mufflers.
Tito
10-09-2013, 02:57 AM #6

Probably suitcase mufflers.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average