STD Tuning Engine OM606 and newbie`s questions.

OM606 and newbie`s questions.

OM606 and newbie`s questions.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

AzeN
Naturally-aspirated

10-01-2013, 01:52 PM #1
Hello guys, i am newbie here and don`t have any experience with diesel engines at all. The question is how will work om606 with dirty diesel? Is it exacting quality of diesel? I want to use a locomotive diesel for it, is it ok or it will kill this engine? And what are the alternative engines, which could work on locomotive diesel and have about 150 or more HP and about 350-400 n\m torque?
Thank you!
This post was last modified: 10-01-2013, 02:29 PM by AzeN.
AzeN
10-01-2013, 01:52 PM #1

Hello guys, i am newbie here and don`t have any experience with diesel engines at all. The question is how will work om606 with dirty diesel? Is it exacting quality of diesel? I want to use a locomotive diesel for it, is it ok or it will kill this engine? And what are the alternative engines, which could work on locomotive diesel and have about 150 or more HP and about 350-400 n\m torque?
Thank you!

Simpler=Better
PORTED HEAD

10-01-2013, 01:59 PM #2
The most important thing is filtering the fuel for particulates and making sure there is no water. There are some aftermarket filters you can get with water separators and drains on them to make this easy.

Any diesel fuel can work so long as it doesn't gel at your outside temperatures.

Newbie-read this: Cheap Tricks
617.952-220k-Getting built up
larsalan I guess I need to look at this stupid ass drip shit. What you have to like mess with those elements on the pump? What a fucking hassle. then use some wire to hold the throttle open or some shit?
Simpler=Better
10-01-2013, 01:59 PM #2

The most important thing is filtering the fuel for particulates and making sure there is no water. There are some aftermarket filters you can get with water separators and drains on them to make this easy.

Any diesel fuel can work so long as it doesn't gel at your outside temperatures.

larsalan I guess I need to look at this stupid ass drip shit. What you have to like mess with those elements on the pump? What a fucking hassle. then use some wire to hold the throttle open or some shit?

Tito
Holset

10-01-2013, 02:07 PM #3
I used a 50/50 mix of used engine oil an diesel. Even in the winter it started en ran like a charm. The engine oil came straight from our oil drain unit at my work. The reason I quit this is that it's illegal in my country, and the car (w123 240d) began to smoke bad. The car is a old banger so I thought why not give it a try. Runs on pure diesel again now.
Tito
10-01-2013, 02:07 PM #3

I used a 50/50 mix of used engine oil an diesel. Even in the winter it started en ran like a charm. The engine oil came straight from our oil drain unit at my work. The reason I quit this is that it's illegal in my country, and the car (w123 240d) began to smoke bad. The car is a old banger so I thought why not give it a try. Runs on pure diesel again now.

AzeN
Naturally-aspirated

10-01-2013, 02:08 PM #4
Thanks for answer. Is turbocharged om606 what i`m looking for? I want to use it in casual riding, but not 40 km'h Smile
Besides, i`m interesting in tune this engine to have more HP and torque than stock do. What i will need for it? I find, that HX40, for example, what else?
Im from Russia, we dont have any communities, which interesting in tuning of diesel engines, so i don`t have much to be shure, that i can do it alone Smile

(10-01-2013, 02:07 PM)Tito I used a 50/50 mix of used engine oil an diesel. Even in the winter it started en ran like a charm. The engine oil came straight from our oil drain unit at my work. The reason I quit this is that it's illegal in my country, and the car (w123 240d) began to smoke bad. The car is a old banger so I thought why not give it a try. Runs on pure diesel again now.
I saw many MB with black smoke from exhaust and 250+ HP, does it mean, that they use similar method 50\50 used oil and diesel, or its just deleted catalytic converter of something else?
This post was last modified: 10-01-2013, 02:12 PM by AzeN.
AzeN
10-01-2013, 02:08 PM #4

Thanks for answer. Is turbocharged om606 what i`m looking for? I want to use it in casual riding, but not 40 km'h Smile
Besides, i`m interesting in tune this engine to have more HP and torque than stock do. What i will need for it? I find, that HX40, for example, what else?
Im from Russia, we dont have any communities, which interesting in tuning of diesel engines, so i don`t have much to be shure, that i can do it alone Smile

(10-01-2013, 02:07 PM)Tito I used a 50/50 mix of used engine oil an diesel. Even in the winter it started en ran like a charm. The engine oil came straight from our oil drain unit at my work. The reason I quit this is that it's illegal in my country, and the car (w123 240d) began to smoke bad. The car is a old banger so I thought why not give it a try. Runs on pure diesel again now.
I saw many MB with black smoke from exhaust and 250+ HP, does it mean, that they use similar method 50\50 used oil and diesel, or its just deleted catalytic converter of something else?

Simpler=Better
PORTED HEAD

10-01-2013, 02:19 PM #5
250HP is "easy" with a factory turbo 606.The 606s that came with turbos have better rods and pistons.

Get a bigger turbo, make a bigger exhaust manifold, and get an upgraded 603 mechanical pump from user Dieselmenken. The pump is the most expensive (estimated at $1500USD) but it's cheap when you think of it as $$ per horsepower.

Of course, you want to make sure the other maintenance items have been done (timing chain, flex discs, glow plugs, injectors spraying properly, etc.)

Warning: The glow plugs like to snap off in the head. be careful, and research proper removal. Also, the 60x heads will crack easily if overheated. A good thermostat, water pump, and radiator are necessary.

black smoke means that the fuel isn't burning completely. this can be caused by incomplete combustion (worn injectors, crappy fuel, etc.) or by injecting too much fuel and not enough air (most racecar diesels). Or by backwoods truck drivers in the US to keep tailgaters away Tongue
This post was last modified: 10-01-2013, 02:22 PM by Simpler=Better.

Simpler=Better
10-01-2013, 02:19 PM #5

250HP is "easy" with a factory turbo 606.The 606s that came with turbos have better rods and pistons.

Get a bigger turbo, make a bigger exhaust manifold, and get an upgraded 603 mechanical pump from user Dieselmenken. The pump is the most expensive (estimated at $1500USD) but it's cheap when you think of it as $$ per horsepower.

Of course, you want to make sure the other maintenance items have been done (timing chain, flex discs, glow plugs, injectors spraying properly, etc.)

Warning: The glow plugs like to snap off in the head. be careful, and research proper removal. Also, the 60x heads will crack easily if overheated. A good thermostat, water pump, and radiator are necessary.

black smoke means that the fuel isn't burning completely. this can be caused by incomplete combustion (worn injectors, crappy fuel, etc.) or by injecting too much fuel and not enough air (most racecar diesels). Or by backwoods truck drivers in the US to keep tailgaters away Tongue

Tito
Holset

10-01-2013, 02:20 PM #6
The black smoke is from the high amount of fuel from a tuned injection pump. If you put a lot of fuel in there, there wil be a lot of smoke, because it gets too much fuel. So, you want more air and that's when you need a big turbo Wink

The black smoke from my car is because the used engine oil is thicker than diesel. So it doesn't "spay" very good true the injectors. So you get a high amount of fuel in one place in the cilinderhead, and that causes the smoke.

I hope it's clear. My English isn't very good.
This post was last modified: 10-01-2013, 02:22 PM by Tito.
Tito
10-01-2013, 02:20 PM #6

The black smoke is from the high amount of fuel from a tuned injection pump. If you put a lot of fuel in there, there wil be a lot of smoke, because it gets too much fuel. So, you want more air and that's when you need a big turbo Wink

The black smoke from my car is because the used engine oil is thicker than diesel. So it doesn't "spay" very good true the injectors. So you get a high amount of fuel in one place in the cilinderhead, and that causes the smoke.

I hope it's clear. My English isn't very good.

AzeN
Naturally-aspirated

10-01-2013, 02:25 PM #7
Yes, i got it, thanks a lot Smile
So, what shall i do with om606 to get about 250HP and 500 torque? I saw here some posts about 7mm fuel pump, but i dont get exactly, what is it. In And i dont know where can i find parts like that. In my country it is not popular, so im pretty shure, that there are no any parts here. HX40 and intercooler i can buy from ebay, but where can i buy other tuning components?
This post was last modified: 10-01-2013, 02:27 PM by AzeN.
AzeN
10-01-2013, 02:25 PM #7

Yes, i got it, thanks a lot Smile
So, what shall i do with om606 to get about 250HP and 500 torque? I saw here some posts about 7mm fuel pump, but i dont get exactly, what is it. In And i dont know where can i find parts like that. In my country it is not popular, so im pretty shure, that there are no any parts here. HX40 and intercooler i can buy from ebay, but where can i buy other tuning components?

Simpler=Better
PORTED HEAD

10-02-2013, 08:56 AM #8
Your easiest bet for the pump is to talk to Dieselmenken. He will set you up right the first time. It takes special tools, equiptment, and knowhow to install larger elements and tune them.

For the exhaust manifold the company KKD makes them, or you can weld your own. The stock manifold is okay but could be better.

Simpler=Better
10-02-2013, 08:56 AM #8

Your easiest bet for the pump is to talk to Dieselmenken. He will set you up right the first time. It takes special tools, equiptment, and knowhow to install larger elements and tune them.

For the exhaust manifold the company KKD makes them, or you can weld your own. The stock manifold is okay but could be better.

AzeN
Naturally-aspirated

10-02-2013, 04:07 PM #9
I got it, thanks.
Could i use OM613 as alternative engine? Or i should stop on OM606. I dont know which is better and more reliable.
This post was last modified: 10-02-2013, 04:12 PM by AzeN.
AzeN
10-02-2013, 04:07 PM #9

I got it, thanks.
Could i use OM613 as alternative engine? Or i should stop on OM606. I dont know which is better and more reliable.

Simpler=Better
PORTED HEAD

10-02-2013, 06:23 PM #10
617 is the equiv of a small block chevy
606 is the german diesel equivalent of an LS1
613+ is i don't know just stick with the 606

Simpler=Better
10-02-2013, 06:23 PM #10

617 is the equiv of a small block chevy
606 is the german diesel equivalent of an LS1
613+ is i don't know just stick with the 606

AzeN
Naturally-aspirated

10-03-2013, 03:44 AM #11
Ok. And what about drivetrain? What manual gearbox can i use with OM606?
AzeN
10-03-2013, 03:44 AM #11

Ok. And what about drivetrain? What manual gearbox can i use with OM606?

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average