STD Maintenance General Flywheel swap

Flywheel swap

Flywheel swap

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

jenyus
GT2256V

10-01-2013, 12:06 PM #1
My 240d manual threw a rod so I'm putting another motor in it from an automatic 240d. What do I have to do to swap the flywheels? Are they balanced to the crank or anything? Can't get the original motor to TDC since there's a piston hanging out of te side of the block.
jenyus
10-01-2013, 12:06 PM #1

My 240d manual threw a rod so I'm putting another motor in it from an automatic 240d. What do I have to do to swap the flywheels? Are they balanced to the crank or anything? Can't get the original motor to TDC since there's a piston hanging out of te side of the block.

Simpler=Better
PORTED HEAD

10-01-2013, 12:24 PM #2
AFAIK they are balanced to the motor they shipped with. If you're worried get it neutral balanced while off and you should be alright.

If the donor motor still has the flywheel it shipped with leave it attached.

And don't throw out any manual flywheels people always want them.

What did you do to throw the rod on the 240? Too much boost?

Newbie-read this: Cheap Tricks
617.952-220k-Getting built up
larsalan I guess I need to look at this stupid ass drip shit. What you have to like mess with those elements on the pump? What a fucking hassle. then use some wire to hold the throttle open or some shit?
Simpler=Better
10-01-2013, 12:24 PM #2

AFAIK they are balanced to the motor they shipped with. If you're worried get it neutral balanced while off and you should be alright.

If the donor motor still has the flywheel it shipped with leave it attached.

And don't throw out any manual flywheels people always want them.

What did you do to throw the rod on the 240? Too much boost?

larsalan I guess I need to look at this stupid ass drip shit. What you have to like mess with those elements on the pump? What a fucking hassle. then use some wire to hold the throttle open or some shit?

jenyus
GT2256V

10-02-2013, 01:09 AM #3
Yeah the donor vehicle is an auto, that's why I need to swap flywheels.

I got it up over 60mph! I guess it just couldn't handle it! I was really surprised. Only had 250k on it and I bought it a week before.

How important is it to balance the flywheel? There aren't any good shops around here that can do the and I dont really want to make the 3hr round trip if it's not essential.
jenyus
10-02-2013, 01:09 AM #3

Yeah the donor vehicle is an auto, that's why I need to swap flywheels.

I got it up over 60mph! I guess it just couldn't handle it! I was really surprised. Only had 250k on it and I bought it a week before.

How important is it to balance the flywheel? There aren't any good shops around here that can do the and I dont really want to make the 3hr round trip if it's not essential.

Simpler=Better
PORTED HEAD

10-02-2013, 08:13 AM #4
(10-02-2013, 01:09 AM)jenyus Yeah the donor vehicle is an auto, that's why I need to swap flywheels.

You might get vibration, but there's no way to know until it's too late.

Can you rig up a test fixture to balance it yourself? Just like balancing a motorcycle tire, spin it on a free rod and mark where it stops. If it stops in the same place each time you need to remove material.

Simpler=Better
10-02-2013, 08:13 AM #4

(10-02-2013, 01:09 AM)jenyus Yeah the donor vehicle is an auto, that's why I need to swap flywheels.

You might get vibration, but there's no way to know until it's too late.

Can you rig up a test fixture to balance it yourself? Just like balancing a motorcycle tire, spin it on a free rod and mark where it stops. If it stops in the same place each time you need to remove material.

sassparilla_kid
diesel > all other fuels

10-02-2013, 10:20 PM #5
When I swapped the manual into my 300 I didn't do anything to match balance the flywheels and I don't have any vibration, I guess I just got lucky

-1982 300D Turbo, 280k miles, ALDA apparently maxxed, fram 8038, 12 lbs boost, non-egr manifolds, W/M injection, 4 brake light mod, Gen II w126 front rotors/calipers, 4-speed swap
In the works: A/W IC, adjust pump, turbo rebuild (w/60 trim comp wheel)
-1980 300SD, 110k, project car. Goal is to get it lookin' like it did on the showroom floor (body and interior wise, not necessarily under the hood )
-1974 240D, FRESH PAINT!!!!!!
sassparilla_kid
10-02-2013, 10:20 PM #5

When I swapped the manual into my 300 I didn't do anything to match balance the flywheels and I don't have any vibration, I guess I just got lucky

-1982 300D Turbo, 280k miles, ALDA apparently maxxed, fram 8038, 12 lbs boost, non-egr manifolds, W/M injection, 4 brake light mod, Gen II w126 front rotors/calipers, 4-speed swap
-1980 300SD, 110k, project car. Goal is to get it lookin' like it did on the showroom floor (body and interior wise, not necessarily under the hood )

hansendk
TA 0301

10-03-2013, 12:04 AM #6
just do it nothing will happen

maybe they where all balanced together in very old days but the practice now a days is first you balance the crankshaft to zero and then put the flywheel on gets that down to zero
in the production every thing is balanced as single pieces the crankshaft from 1 place and the flywheel from another
second its a low rpm diesel engine so no problem
hansendk
10-03-2013, 12:04 AM #6

just do it nothing will happen

maybe they where all balanced together in very old days but the practice now a days is first you balance the crankshaft to zero and then put the flywheel on gets that down to zero
in the production every thing is balanced as single pieces the crankshaft from 1 place and the flywheel from another
second its a low rpm diesel engine so no problem

wolverine
TA 0301

10-08-2013, 08:51 PM #7

I was in the same boat, acquired my 240d with an already blown up motor. I bought an automatic motor off CL. There were really no marks that made sense or matched up between my flywheel and the flexplate off the new motor. So I just put it on. There were no vibrations that I could tell. And I put about 10,000 miles on it. But back in Jan it developed a new noise and oil filter was full of metal. I haven't had time to get the motor out and inspect but I have a feeling it might be main bearing or possibly thrust washer related.
But also the car was in a friends possession not long before and came back 2 quarts low on oil. That probably didn't help Sad

I don't really think the balance of the flywheel was the whole problem but maybe contributed... When I find another motor I will certainly match balance the flywheel just for my own satisfaction.
wolverine
10-08-2013, 08:51 PM #7

I was in the same boat, acquired my 240d with an already blown up motor. I bought an automatic motor off CL. There were really no marks that made sense or matched up between my flywheel and the flexplate off the new motor. So I just put it on. There were no vibrations that I could tell. And I put about 10,000 miles on it. But back in Jan it developed a new noise and oil filter was full of metal. I haven't had time to get the motor out and inspect but I have a feeling it might be main bearing or possibly thrust washer related.
But also the car was in a friends possession not long before and came back 2 quarts low on oil. That probably didn't help Sad

I don't really think the balance of the flywheel was the whole problem but maybe contributed... When I find another motor I will certainly match balance the flywheel just for my own satisfaction.

sassparilla_kid
diesel > all other fuels

10-08-2013, 09:00 PM #8
(10-08-2013, 08:51 PM)wolverine

The fuel could have been contaminated before it even made it into the car, I've heard of more than one case of funky fuel full of all sorts of crap that cause freshly changed filters to plug up within a tank or less of fuel

sassparilla_kid
10-08-2013, 09:00 PM #8

(10-08-2013, 08:51 PM)wolverine

The fuel could have been contaminated before it even made it into the car, I've heard of more than one case of funky fuel full of all sorts of crap that cause freshly changed filters to plug up within a tank or less of fuel

Austincarnut
Holset

10-08-2013, 10:30 PM #9
The worst part of a flywheel out of balance is that it can shorten your main bearing life not so much as it causing a vibration. It is cheap insurance. If you aren't after longevity, screw it!
Austincarnut
10-08-2013, 10:30 PM #9

The worst part of a flywheel out of balance is that it can shorten your main bearing life not so much as it causing a vibration. It is cheap insurance. If you aren't after longevity, screw it!

bricktron
'77 240D

10-09-2013, 12:45 AM #10
i had my flywheel balanced for $85 and it took 10 weeks. don't go to that guy. however, he did drill some holes in the edge, and the harmonic vibrations after the swap are tolerable, so i think it was worthwhile.

english red rat rod 1977 240D, OM617.952 burning B99.9, iron 4-speed & 2.88 diff, 195/60/R14 on alloys, 5mph bumpers, battery in the trunk, 25mm swaybar, 4x ECE H4 lamps, double brake lamps, deleted sunroof, export zoll & california blue plates

bricktron
10-09-2013, 12:45 AM #10

i had my flywheel balanced for $85 and it took 10 weeks. don't go to that guy. however, he did drill some holes in the edge, and the harmonic vibrations after the swap are tolerable, so i think it was worthwhile.

english red rat rod 1977 240D, OM617.952 burning B99.9, iron 4-speed & 2.88 diff, 195/60/R14 on alloys, 5mph bumpers, battery in the trunk, 25mm swaybar, 4x ECE H4 lamps, double brake lamps, deleted sunroof, export zoll & california blue plates

jenyus
GT2256V

12-01-2013, 08:45 PM #11
Annnnnnnddddd the starter gear is stripped. Just keeps getting better!
jenyus
12-01-2013, 08:45 PM #11

Annnnnnnddddd the starter gear is stripped. Just keeps getting better!

Simpler=Better
PORTED HEAD

12-01-2013, 08:56 PM #12
Rockauto has ring gears, or you can get a JY flywheel. It just takes heat and gravity (maybe a LIGHT tap) to get a ring gear on & off

Simpler=Better
12-01-2013, 08:56 PM #12

Rockauto has ring gears, or you can get a JY flywheel. It just takes heat and gravity (maybe a LIGHT tap) to get a ring gear on & off

jenyus
GT2256V

12-01-2013, 10:43 PM #13
Whoops wrong thread!
jenyus
12-01-2013, 10:43 PM #13

Whoops wrong thread!

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average