STD Tuning Engine Supercharger Question

Supercharger Question

Supercharger Question

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

97e300
(its a 98 now)

10-01-2013, 10:43 AM #1
So I've got a couple questions regarding superchargers in our cars:

How does the supercharger help spool up the turbo?

Does the supercharger shut off after the turbo is spooled? Is it after a certain rpm, boost pressure? How is it controlled? Some kind of switching valve?

How is the setup routed? I've seen some superchargers that feed straight into the manifold.

How did you implement your setup? What works and what doesn't?

Thanks!
97e300
10-01-2013, 10:43 AM #1

So I've got a couple questions regarding superchargers in our cars:

Does the supercharger shut off after the turbo is spooled? Is it after a certain rpm, boost pressure? How is it controlled? Some kind of switching valve?

How is the setup routed? I've seen some superchargers that feed straight into the manifold.

Thanks!

Hario'
C300TD Wagon (W202)

10-01-2013, 06:32 PM #2
Each question you asked has many different answers depending on intended use, desired power characteristics, desired power goals and packaging constraints.

I suggest reading a few build threads on each variation and come to your own conclusion based on your own performance and engine characteristic goals.

H

Installed:

OM606/722.6, big IC, W220 brakes.
Planned:
DIY manifold, compound, 722.6 controller, built IP.
[i]Less rust.. 
[/i]
Hario'
10-01-2013, 06:32 PM #2

Each question you asked has many different answers depending on intended use, desired power characteristics, desired power goals and packaging constraints.

I suggest reading a few build threads on each variation and come to your own conclusion based on your own performance and engine characteristic goals.

H

Installed:

OM606/722.6, big IC, W220 brakes.
Planned:
DIY manifold, compound, 722.6 controller, built IP.
[i]Less rust.. 
[/i]

Simpler=Better
PORTED HEAD

10-01-2013, 08:38 PM #3
Typically the supercharger is used for instant boost and then bypassed later.

It gives a fixed linear boost rate based on engine RPM, which is why they're popular with street gas cars-they're easier to tune than turbos. For a diesel it's just fast boost

Newbie-read this: Cheap Tricks
617.952-220k-Getting built up
larsalan I guess I need to look at this stupid ass drip shit. What you have to like mess with those elements on the pump? What a fucking hassle. then use some wire to hold the throttle open or some shit?
Simpler=Better
10-01-2013, 08:38 PM #3

Typically the supercharger is used for instant boost and then bypassed later.

It gives a fixed linear boost rate based on engine RPM, which is why they're popular with street gas cars-they're easier to tune than turbos. For a diesel it's just fast boost

Newbie-read this: Cheap Tricks
617.952-220k-Getting built up
larsalan I guess I need to look at this stupid ass drip shit. What you have to like mess with those elements on the pump? What a fucking hassle. then use some wire to hold the throttle open or some shit?

1911diesel
GT2256V

10-04-2013, 02:49 PM #4
hummm, JUST fast boost... isnt early boost something thats sought after in a lot of builds? i mean running a supercharger with a super small pully then bypassing it in the upper rpms to let the turbo do the rest of the work. is kinda like saying its only steroids, their just going to make you way stronger in every where you are weak now, plus some... but maybe thats just the way i see it. i have been wrong before.

82 300SD-this engine may go in the 78...-Mary Jane
78 300CD-may be getting a new engine and rear end...-Brunhilde
82 300CD-uhhh race car project???-Gerda
85 300SD- the womans daily ITS F**KING PINK!-Tsybil
92 F350 CC LB dually-back up/tow pig/long haul land yacht.-Betsey

[Image: PicMonkeyCollage_zpsc1d9cd5f.jpg]
1911diesel
10-04-2013, 02:49 PM #4

hummm, JUST fast boost... isnt early boost something thats sought after in a lot of builds? i mean running a supercharger with a super small pully then bypassing it in the upper rpms to let the turbo do the rest of the work. is kinda like saying its only steroids, their just going to make you way stronger in every where you are weak now, plus some... but maybe thats just the way i see it. i have been wrong before.

82 300SD-this engine may go in the 78...-Mary Jane
78 300CD-may be getting a new engine and rear end...-Brunhilde
82 300CD-uhhh race car project???-Gerda
85 300SD- the womans daily ITS F**KING PINK!-Tsybil
92 F350 CC LB dually-back up/tow pig/long haul land yacht.-Betsey

[Image: PicMonkeyCollage_zpsc1d9cd5f.jpg]

EDH_Performance
Holset

10-05-2013, 03:35 AM #5
(10-01-2013, 10:43 AM)97e300 So I've got a couple questions regarding superchargers in our cars:

It helps the engine to burn more fuel at low rpm, meens the higher EGP to help the turbo spoolWink

On my 190D i bypassed the compressor with a butterfly valve and a wg actuator, workd good as long as i took the pressure that controlled the BFV from the intake manifold. The valve opened on 1 bar.

On my engine the compressor was feeding directly into the manifold, not the best solutions regarsd the airtemp but it worked good.
After 1bar of boost was reached the 3" y-pipe bypassed the air around the compressor and the turbo was feeding intercooled air into the intake.

I tried to take the pressure that controlled the actuator for bypass on the turbo side, but by doing this i got a high pressure spike in the intake, and then a sudden drop in pressure as the butterflyvalve opened. You could easily see it on the dyno graph!

Thanks!
EDH_Performance
10-05-2013, 03:35 AM #5

(10-01-2013, 10:43 AM)97e300 So I've got a couple questions regarding superchargers in our cars:

It helps the engine to burn more fuel at low rpm, meens the higher EGP to help the turbo spoolWink

On my 190D i bypassed the compressor with a butterfly valve and a wg actuator, workd good as long as i took the pressure that controlled the BFV from the intake manifold. The valve opened on 1 bar.

On my engine the compressor was feeding directly into the manifold, not the best solutions regarsd the airtemp but it worked good.
After 1bar of boost was reached the 3" y-pipe bypassed the air around the compressor and the turbo was feeding intercooled air into the intake.

I tried to take the pressure that controlled the actuator for bypass on the turbo side, but by doing this i got a high pressure spike in the intake, and then a sudden drop in pressure as the butterflyvalve opened. You could easily see it on the dyno graph!

Thanks!

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average