STD Tuning Engine EGP pressure, how does the problem show itself?

EGP pressure, how does the problem show itself?

EGP pressure, how does the problem show itself?

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

swampmonkey
hx40 super

09-20-2013, 05:42 AM #1
hey there

got a om602 turbo with stock turbo with IC, stock transmission and clutch.

have a dieselmeken 7.5mm 180cc pump, and the turbo boosts 1.6bar at intake (after IC and piping)

got nice characteristics of engine, early spool and torque, and it kicks good when reving.

pulling in fourth gear, 3.07 finaldrive.
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ln85HH4bHIg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

havent got a EGT meter, or EGP meter, but are wondering if i am damaging the engine with a to small turbo?
is there a characteristic that show if i have to much Exhaust gas pressure?

---------------------------------
daily driver
w115 240d 72hp 3.07 rearend
w123 om602 turbo 200whp 7.5mm pump fivespeed 3.07 rearend
+ a few more.
mbturbo.com
swampmonkey
09-20-2013, 05:42 AM #1

hey there

got a om602 turbo with stock turbo with IC, stock transmission and clutch.

have a dieselmeken 7.5mm 180cc pump, and the turbo boosts 1.6bar at intake (after IC and piping)

got nice characteristics of engine, early spool and torque, and it kicks good when reving.

pulling in fourth gear, 3.07 finaldrive.
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ln85HH4bHIg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

havent got a EGT meter, or EGP meter, but are wondering if i am damaging the engine with a to small turbo?
is there a characteristic that show if i have to much Exhaust gas pressure?

---------------------------------
daily driver
w115 240d 72hp 3.07 rearend
w123 om602 turbo 200whp 7.5mm pump fivespeed 3.07 rearend
+ a few more.
mbturbo.com

MFSuper90
Budget Builder

09-20-2013, 09:16 AM #2
I've seen people blow head gaskets with too much EGP

'82 300D -3" straight pipe, ALDA deleted, 3in1 glowshift gauge, HX30, egr-less manifold, A/W intercooler Big Grin
'14 Ram 6.7l cummins -G56 handshaker, wishing it was deleted         
MFSuper90
09-20-2013, 09:16 AM #2

I've seen people blow head gaskets with too much EGP

'82 300D -3" straight pipe, ALDA deleted, 3in1 glowshift gauge, HX30, egr-less manifold, A/W intercooler Big Grin

Mark_M
GT2559V

09-21-2013, 06:00 AM #3
I don't know the answer but I don't get the head gasket problem. There is a massive amount more pressure through the combustion process that the head gasket has to put up with so even pushing stupidly high EGP the head gasket should be absolutely fine? Blown exhaust gaskets I understand maybe even exhaust manifolds on the stupid extreme side of things.
My assumption (probably completely wrong) would be excessively high EGP (running more pressure than you actually need) would just rob power through pumping losses. High EGT though is a completely different story, that will cause damage. To me monitoring EGP is an efficiency process unless your controlling something like a VNT but monitoring EGT on a tuned engine is a survival process.
Mark_M
09-21-2013, 06:00 AM #3

I don't know the answer but I don't get the head gasket problem. There is a massive amount more pressure through the combustion process that the head gasket has to put up with so even pushing stupidly high EGP the head gasket should be absolutely fine? Blown exhaust gaskets I understand maybe even exhaust manifolds on the stupid extreme side of things.
My assumption (probably completely wrong) would be excessively high EGP (running more pressure than you actually need) would just rob power through pumping losses. High EGT though is a completely different story, that will cause damage. To me monitoring EGP is an efficiency process unless your controlling something like a VNT but monitoring EGT on a tuned engine is a survival process.

MFSuper90
Budget Builder

09-21-2013, 08:13 AM #4
The way I look at it is that if the engine is pumping away and it doesn't have a good exit it builds heat and pressure faster. Like pushing a lot of boost into your engine can also blow head gaskets, same for the exhaust side.

Your engine can only run as good as the head flows Wink

MFSuper90
09-21-2013, 08:13 AM #4

The way I look at it is that if the engine is pumping away and it doesn't have a good exit it builds heat and pressure faster. Like pushing a lot of boost into your engine can also blow head gaskets, same for the exhaust side.

Your engine can only run as good as the head flows Wink

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average