STD Tuning Engine Electric Water Pump Time

Electric Water Pump Time

Electric Water Pump Time

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Greazzer
Superturbo

09-16-2013, 08:52 PM #1
After about a year of tinkering with this concept and that design, I just realized that hacking the parts from the OEM set up will work. Here are some pictures of the last missing piece to installing an electric water pump. This gets rid of the water pump (mechanical) and this permits me to use this piece on my turbo engine which will be installed down the road. The NA engine gives a little more clearance with the crank and hub, but I am thinking I do not want to make another one of these. I have some more filling in to do, some more grinding, and then buffing. However, I am thinking maybe by the end of this weekend I can hook up my Davis-Craig electric water pump. Who would have thought that after wasting so much time, simply buzzing thru 2 to 3 water pump housings and I could wrap up this modification. LOL. I doubt when I am done I will have a total of 8 hours invested in this piece. However, I have made a bunch of plates, bent tubing, and you name it over the last year or so. None of it would ultimately clear the crank pulley on the turbo engine. Very tight spot in that neck of the woods.
Attached Files
Image(s)

Ninth Year Anniversary with STD on 1-9-2020

visit:  www.dieselfuelinjector.guru

Project 2018: Really get the car finished -- Turbo OM617 greater than 175 MPH goal.

RED W123 - left Germany as 240D in 1982.  Full AMG body kit less rear apron, 2:65LSD, five speed Getrag 717.400, manual steering, read leather interior, manual brake conversion, electric water pump (EWP), and a bunch of other goodies ...
Greazzer
09-16-2013, 08:52 PM #1

After about a year of tinkering with this concept and that design, I just realized that hacking the parts from the OEM set up will work. Here are some pictures of the last missing piece to installing an electric water pump. This gets rid of the water pump (mechanical) and this permits me to use this piece on my turbo engine which will be installed down the road. The NA engine gives a little more clearance with the crank and hub, but I am thinking I do not want to make another one of these. I have some more filling in to do, some more grinding, and then buffing. However, I am thinking maybe by the end of this weekend I can hook up my Davis-Craig electric water pump. Who would have thought that after wasting so much time, simply buzzing thru 2 to 3 water pump housings and I could wrap up this modification. LOL. I doubt when I am done I will have a total of 8 hours invested in this piece. However, I have made a bunch of plates, bent tubing, and you name it over the last year or so. None of it would ultimately clear the crank pulley on the turbo engine. Very tight spot in that neck of the woods.

Attached Files
Image(s)

Project 2018: Really get the car finished -- Turbo OM617 greater than 175 MPH goal.

RED W123 - left Germany as 240D in 1982.  Full AMG body kit less rear apron, 2:65LSD, five speed Getrag 717.400, manual steering, read leather interior, manual brake conversion, electric water pump (EWP), and a bunch of other goodies ...

bricktron
'77 240D

09-17-2013, 01:23 AM #2
fancy stuff, mark! i know you have been experimenting with manual steering - very curious about that - so your plan is to have a single serpentine belt running just the alt, AC, and possible supercharger?

english red rat rod 1977 240D, OM617.952 burning B99.9, iron 4-speed & 2.88 diff, 195/60/R14 on alloys, 5mph bumpers, battery in the trunk, 25mm swaybar, 4x ECE H4 lamps, double brake lamps, deleted sunroof, export zoll & california blue plates

bricktron
09-17-2013, 01:23 AM #2

fancy stuff, mark! i know you have been experimenting with manual steering - very curious about that - so your plan is to have a single serpentine belt running just the alt, AC, and possible supercharger?

english red rat rod 1977 240D, OM617.952 burning B99.9, iron 4-speed & 2.88 diff, 195/60/R14 on alloys, 5mph bumpers, battery in the trunk, 25mm swaybar, 4x ECE H4 lamps, double brake lamps, deleted sunroof, export zoll & california blue plates

Greazzer
Superturbo

09-17-2013, 05:55 AM #3
(09-17-2013, 01:23 AM)bricktron fancy stuff, mark! i know you have been experimenting with manual steering - very curious about that - so your plan is to have a single serpentine belt running just the alt, AC, and possible supercharger?

Correct.

I installed manual steering about a year ago. And, I love it. IMO, the manual box is a great upgrade. Once you're rolling, the steering is actually better than power.

Actually, the plan is to have a "winter" sized belt and a "summer" sized belt. With a tensioner, I can easily swap out belts and get rid of one pump once the weather finally cools in sunny S.C.

I plan on installing the bits and pieces for the electric water pump over the next week or so, and then just do the conversion. I am thinking this will end up as one of those incredibly easy mod's ... just took forever. I already mod'd my 3" Be Cool radiator. Next, instalation of the magic box which controls the set up in the glove box and routing wires.

Greazzer
09-17-2013, 05:55 AM #3

(09-17-2013, 01:23 AM)bricktron fancy stuff, mark! i know you have been experimenting with manual steering - very curious about that - so your plan is to have a single serpentine belt running just the alt, AC, and possible supercharger?

Correct.

I installed manual steering about a year ago. And, I love it. IMO, the manual box is a great upgrade. Once you're rolling, the steering is actually better than power.

Actually, the plan is to have a "winter" sized belt and a "summer" sized belt. With a tensioner, I can easily swap out belts and get rid of one pump once the weather finally cools in sunny S.C.

I plan on installing the bits and pieces for the electric water pump over the next week or so, and then just do the conversion. I am thinking this will end up as one of those incredibly easy mod's ... just took forever. I already mod'd my 3" Be Cool radiator. Next, instalation of the magic box which controls the set up in the glove box and routing wires.

bricktron
'77 240D

09-20-2013, 04:54 PM #4
the winter belt would be just to disintermediate the A/C compressor? shouldn't its clutch take care of that?

also, please say more about why you prefer the manual steering... i love the idea of the simplicity of it, but the one time that my PS belt broke and i drove home without it, i found the steering a bit difficult.

bricktron
09-20-2013, 04:54 PM #4

the winter belt would be just to disintermediate the A/C compressor? shouldn't its clutch take care of that?

also, please say more about why you prefer the manual steering... i love the idea of the simplicity of it, but the one time that my PS belt broke and i drove home without it, i found the steering a bit difficult.

Simpler=Better
PORTED HEAD

09-20-2013, 09:00 PM #5
(09-20-2013, 04:54 PM)bricktron the winter belt would be just to disintermediate the A/C compressor? shouldn't its clutch take care of that?

With a proper manual box the steering has a better ratio, and you're not pushing the fluid through the pump via the wheel.

You can loop the PS system to simulate manual steering.

Newbie-read this: Cheap Tricks
617.952-220k-Getting built up
larsalan I guess I need to look at this stupid ass drip shit. What you have to like mess with those elements on the pump? What a fucking hassle. then use some wire to hold the throttle open or some shit?
Simpler=Better
09-20-2013, 09:00 PM #5

(09-20-2013, 04:54 PM)bricktron the winter belt would be just to disintermediate the A/C compressor? shouldn't its clutch take care of that?

With a proper manual box the steering has a better ratio, and you're not pushing the fluid through the pump via the wheel.

You can loop the PS system to simulate manual steering.

Newbie-read this: Cheap Tricks
617.952-220k-Getting built up
larsalan I guess I need to look at this stupid ass drip shit. What you have to like mess with those elements on the pump? What a fucking hassle. then use some wire to hold the throttle open or some shit?

Greazzer
Superturbo

09-21-2013, 06:41 AM #6
Check out Logan's threads. He's got a bunch of them from the middle east. They are super rare. Just make sure you get the lower steering shaft. The shaft is a little longer than the power steering one. You can buy the rubber grommit boot new from the dealer and its OK in price. And, yes, it is totally different than the PS with the belt cut. Once you start moving, and once you hit around 20 mph, you cannot really tell the difference. Get around 30 or 40, and its better than PS. Much more responsive, better feel, et cet.

Greazzer
09-21-2013, 06:41 AM #6

Check out Logan's threads. He's got a bunch of them from the middle east. They are super rare. Just make sure you get the lower steering shaft. The shaft is a little longer than the power steering one. You can buy the rubber grommit boot new from the dealer and its OK in price. And, yes, it is totally different than the PS with the belt cut. Once you start moving, and once you hit around 20 mph, you cannot really tell the difference. Get around 30 or 40, and its better than PS. Much more responsive, better feel, et cet.

SurfRodder
Jackass Extraordinaire

09-21-2013, 06:39 PM #7
(09-21-2013, 06:41 AM)Greazzer Just make sure you get the lower steering shaft. The shaft is a little longer than the power steering one.

Do you have any pics of this, Mark? I may need to send a picture to the dude I'm talking to overseas (translation/communication is a little iffy) to make sure it conveys with the manual box Im looking into. I'm guessing you mean the lower section of the shaft that connects the wheel to the box, yeah? I suppose I could fabricate something if needs be, but if it is already to go with a factory part, I'd rather do that.

Also, I'm looking forward to your electric water pump conversion!

W123 Mods: 4 speed ** manual climate control ** '85 Kalitucky intake ** manual windows & full tint ** Euro headlights retrofit w/bixenon projectors ** 4 brake light mod ** Vogtland 50mm drop front & Lesjofors S600 drop rear springs ** 16" rims ** late w126 brake spindles, rotors & calipers ** full suspension rehab ** Bilstein HDs ** AL129X alternator & 1/0 starter and charging cables ** 300GD clutch/flywheel ** AFCO 80103N radiator & Earl's 41610 oil cooler ** custom block-off plate, remote oil filter & t-stat ** MW IP w/ tomnik's 6.5mm 'Holly' elements **

S124 Mods: 400E Rear subframe ** SL600 Brakes ** Late 300E 210mm diff ** SLK230 6 speed ** 17" CLK rims ** Vented RF Fender ** Facelift Hood, Headlights, and Lower Cladding **

OBK# 62
SurfRodder
09-21-2013, 06:39 PM #7

(09-21-2013, 06:41 AM)Greazzer Just make sure you get the lower steering shaft. The shaft is a little longer than the power steering one.

Do you have any pics of this, Mark? I may need to send a picture to the dude I'm talking to overseas (translation/communication is a little iffy) to make sure it conveys with the manual box Im looking into. I'm guessing you mean the lower section of the shaft that connects the wheel to the box, yeah? I suppose I could fabricate something if needs be, but if it is already to go with a factory part, I'd rather do that.

W123 Mods: 4 speed ** manual climate control ** '85 Kalitucky intake ** manual windows & full tint ** Euro headlights retrofit w/bixenon projectors ** 4 brake light mod ** Vogtland 50mm drop front & Lesjofors S600 drop rear springs ** 16" rims ** late w126 brake spindles, rotors & calipers ** full suspension rehab ** Bilstein HDs ** AL129X alternator & 1/0 starter and charging cables ** 300GD clutch/flywheel ** AFCO 80103N radiator & Earl's 41610 oil cooler ** custom block-off plate, remote oil filter & t-stat ** MW IP w/ tomnik's 6.5mm 'Holly' elements **

S124 Mods: 400E Rear subframe ** SL600 Brakes ** Late 300E 210mm diff ** SLK230 6 speed ** 17" CLK rims ** Vented RF Fender ** Facelift Hood, Headlights, and Lower Cladding **

OBK# 62

lgreeley83
Mr. Rumbles

09-21-2013, 08:00 PM #8
Jb3 got one from me that shaft he just modified the original. Cut and lengthened. I'm out though of the boxes. Good looking mark hope install is smooth.

" straighten up that star on the grill, assholes."

lgreeley83
09-21-2013, 08:00 PM #8

Jb3 got one from me that shaft he just modified the original. Cut and lengthened. I'm out though of the boxes. Good looking mark hope install is smooth.

" straighten up that star on the grill, assholes."

Greazzer
Superturbo

09-22-2013, 07:13 AM #9
(09-21-2013, 06:39 PM)SurfRodder

There should be some pic's in my project thread. I dont think I have any pics of the 2 shafts side-by-side.

AND, correct, the lower shaft meaning the shaft that connects to the steering box thru the firewall to the steering colume. The FSM actually has a picture and its exact measurments.

Greazzer
09-22-2013, 07:13 AM #9

(09-21-2013, 06:39 PM)SurfRodder

There should be some pic's in my project thread. I dont think I have any pics of the 2 shafts side-by-side.

AND, correct, the lower shaft meaning the shaft that connects to the steering box thru the firewall to the steering colume. The FSM actually has a picture and its exact measurments.

w123love
Stockish

09-22-2013, 01:22 PM #10
Greazzer- have you looked into Drag racing water pumps? Meziere makes pumps for strip and street applications. Even water pumps that attach to the radiator directly.

if it don’t blow black...take it back.

1982 300TDT 4 Speed 196K Standard Beige “VEGEWGN”. 300GD FW. Walbro FRC-8 Fuel Pump. ZadaTech LCD Boost, EGT, & Fuel Pressure gauge. Non-EGR Exhaust and Intake Manifold. 3/2 Valves gone. Soon to have Elsbett WVO conversion
1981 300D 314K Midnight Blue “The Blue Car”, Lovecrap system, owned 25 years+
1985 300TD White 198K “Betty White” Pure beauty

The VEGEWGN
w123love
09-22-2013, 01:22 PM #10

Greazzer- have you looked into Drag racing water pumps? Meziere makes pumps for strip and street applications. Even water pumps that attach to the radiator directly.

if it don’t blow black...take it back.

1982 300TDT 4 Speed 196K Standard Beige “VEGEWGN”. 300GD FW. Walbro FRC-8 Fuel Pump. ZadaTech LCD Boost, EGT, & Fuel Pressure gauge. Non-EGR Exhaust and Intake Manifold. 3/2 Valves gone. Soon to have Elsbett WVO conversion
1981 300D 314K Midnight Blue “The Blue Car”, Lovecrap system, owned 25 years+
1985 300TD White 198K “Betty White” Pure beauty

The VEGEWGN

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average