STD Tuning Brakes ABS questions

ABS questions

ABS questions

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

EmJay
Holset

09-12-2013, 08:18 PM #1
The following question is for Project Redemption.

What all is required to make the factory ABS work? Do I have to wire in a sensor to the brake petal, do I have to connect the ECU for it to work, a separate computer for the brakes?

I do have access to the parts car, it's in my backyard, and I haven't sold anything brake related from it.
EmJay
09-12-2013, 08:18 PM #1

The following question is for Project Redemption.

What all is required to make the factory ABS work? Do I have to wire in a sensor to the brake petal, do I have to connect the ECU for it to work, a separate computer for the brakes?

I do have access to the parts car, it's in my backyard, and I haven't sold anything brake related from it.

EmJay
Holset

09-12-2013, 10:36 PM #2
another question to add, would it be better to use the MB brake booster, or would I be alright with using the Mazda booster?
EmJay
09-12-2013, 10:36 PM #2

another question to add, would it be better to use the MB brake booster, or would I be alright with using the Mazda booster?

Simpler=Better
PORTED HEAD

09-13-2013, 08:14 AM #3
Any booster is fine they're all the same basically/ probably.

For ABS you need some kind of wheel speed sensor(s), whatever brain the old computer used for ABS (follow the wires-it might be a dedicated brain), the ABS block, and possibly a vehicle speed sensor.

Newbie-read this: Cheap Tricks
617.952-220k-Getting built up
larsalan I guess I need to look at this stupid ass drip shit. What you have to like mess with those elements on the pump? What a fucking hassle. then use some wire to hold the throttle open or some shit?
Simpler=Better
09-13-2013, 08:14 AM #3

Any booster is fine they're all the same basically/ probably.

For ABS you need some kind of wheel speed sensor(s), whatever brain the old computer used for ABS (follow the wires-it might be a dedicated brain), the ABS block, and possibly a vehicle speed sensor.

Newbie-read this: Cheap Tricks
617.952-220k-Getting built up
larsalan I guess I need to look at this stupid ass drip shit. What you have to like mess with those elements on the pump? What a fucking hassle. then use some wire to hold the throttle open or some shit?

raysorenson
Superturbo

09-13-2013, 11:49 AM #4
You'll need to look at the ABS wiring diagram to see all the required inputs. Yes, it uses a brake on/off switch. You'll need switched (hot in RUN) power to the ABS module, ground and a hot at all times circuit. Speed sensor wiring is a twisted pair- the wires connecting the wheel speed sensors to the ABS module will need to be twisted together. IIRC, the rear sensor tone ring is matched to the ring and pinion ratio. If you change the gear ratio, you'll also need to swap the tone (toothed) ring.
raysorenson
09-13-2013, 11:49 AM #4

You'll need to look at the ABS wiring diagram to see all the required inputs. Yes, it uses a brake on/off switch. You'll need switched (hot in RUN) power to the ABS module, ground and a hot at all times circuit. Speed sensor wiring is a twisted pair- the wires connecting the wheel speed sensors to the ABS module will need to be twisted together. IIRC, the rear sensor tone ring is matched to the ring and pinion ratio. If you change the gear ratio, you'll also need to swap the tone (toothed) ring.

EmJay
Holset

09-13-2013, 03:44 PM #5
Good stuff there Ray, thanks!

I did save the sensor in the rear end, and I should have all the appropriate sensors at the brakes as well. I am using the factory speedometer so I should be able to get a signal from that if necessary. I'll see if I can find a wiring diagram for the ABS system, I haven't had much luck finding wiring diagrams for anything other than my 201.
EmJay
09-13-2013, 03:44 PM #5

Good stuff there Ray, thanks!

I did save the sensor in the rear end, and I should have all the appropriate sensors at the brakes as well. I am using the factory speedometer so I should be able to get a signal from that if necessary. I'll see if I can find a wiring diagram for the ABS system, I haven't had much luck finding wiring diagrams for anything other than my 201.

SurfRodder
Jackass Extraordinaire

12-24-2013, 02:28 PM #6
When I gathered all the parts for my future plans in this vein, I was able to pull a complete ABS setup, all sensors and harness and computer/sensor box, unmolested (maybe one wire cut), from a donor 560 ('86 I believe, but if later ones are still modular, I'd grab the latest one you can find...prolly be helpful to know when they made it standard equipment as that would dictate if it would be relatively easy to pull, i.e. less integration to chassis harness). Extra bonus is that wiring the speed sensors to the front wheels requires the w126 spindles and thus bigger brakes are part of the setup as well. Anyway, as far as wiring is concerned, pulling a complete system is really the best way to go and if you do it yourself, you can learn where this are located/take pics, etc.
The really trick piece is the rear diff from an '85 300SD which should have the proper 2.88 ratio and ABS sensor mounted (I believe that ABS was optional back then, but every '85 SD Ive seen has it)... My original plan was to pull the entire ABS setup from that car, but I saw it on a Tues and it was smashed by the time I returned on Sat(complete car too, real shame)... If you plan on using a different ratio diff, any ABS w126 up to '89 or so when they changed to the different subframe should work, large or small diff.
In fact, I think there may be an '85 SD in my local yard now, but its been a while since this has been on my radar (due to other 124 related projects) so Im not 100%...Ill check this weekend when Im back in town...
This post was last modified: 12-24-2013, 02:29 PM by SurfRodder.

W123 Mods: 4 speed ** manual climate control ** '85 Kalitucky intake ** manual windows & full tint ** Euro headlights retrofit w/bixenon projectors ** 4 brake light mod ** Vogtland 50mm drop front & Lesjofors S600 drop rear springs ** 16" rims ** late w126 brake spindles, rotors & calipers ** full suspension rehab ** Bilstein HDs ** AL129X alternator & 1/0 starter and charging cables ** 300GD clutch/flywheel ** AFCO 80103N radiator & Earl's 41610 oil cooler ** custom block-off plate, remote oil filter & t-stat ** MW IP w/ tomnik's 6.5mm 'Holly' elements **

S124 Mods: 400E Rear subframe ** SL600 Brakes ** Late 300E 210mm diff ** SLK230 6 speed ** 17" CLK rims ** Vented RF Fender ** Facelift Hood, Headlights, and Lower Cladding **

OBK# 62
SurfRodder
12-24-2013, 02:28 PM #6

When I gathered all the parts for my future plans in this vein, I was able to pull a complete ABS setup, all sensors and harness and computer/sensor box, unmolested (maybe one wire cut), from a donor 560 ('86 I believe, but if later ones are still modular, I'd grab the latest one you can find...prolly be helpful to know when they made it standard equipment as that would dictate if it would be relatively easy to pull, i.e. less integration to chassis harness). Extra bonus is that wiring the speed sensors to the front wheels requires the w126 spindles and thus bigger brakes are part of the setup as well. Anyway, as far as wiring is concerned, pulling a complete system is really the best way to go and if you do it yourself, you can learn where this are located/take pics, etc.
The really trick piece is the rear diff from an '85 300SD which should have the proper 2.88 ratio and ABS sensor mounted (I believe that ABS was optional back then, but every '85 SD Ive seen has it)... My original plan was to pull the entire ABS setup from that car, but I saw it on a Tues and it was smashed by the time I returned on Sat(complete car too, real shame)... If you plan on using a different ratio diff, any ABS w126 up to '89 or so when they changed to the different subframe should work, large or small diff.
In fact, I think there may be an '85 SD in my local yard now, but its been a while since this has been on my radar (due to other 124 related projects) so Im not 100%...Ill check this weekend when Im back in town...

W123 Mods: 4 speed ** manual climate control ** '85 Kalitucky intake ** manual windows & full tint ** Euro headlights retrofit w/bixenon projectors ** 4 brake light mod ** Vogtland 50mm drop front & Lesjofors S600 drop rear springs ** 16" rims ** late w126 brake spindles, rotors & calipers ** full suspension rehab ** Bilstein HDs ** AL129X alternator & 1/0 starter and charging cables ** 300GD clutch/flywheel ** AFCO 80103N radiator & Earl's 41610 oil cooler ** custom block-off plate, remote oil filter & t-stat ** MW IP w/ tomnik's 6.5mm 'Holly' elements **

S124 Mods: 400E Rear subframe ** SL600 Brakes ** Late 300E 210mm diff ** SLK230 6 speed ** 17" CLK rims ** Vented RF Fender ** Facelift Hood, Headlights, and Lower Cladding **

OBK# 62

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average