STD Tuning Suspension A weird one

A weird one

A weird one

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

EmJay
Holset

09-12-2013, 08:09 PM #1
Ok, this is for Project Redemption. One of the things that I am trying to do to my truck is to put MB front brakes and wheels in the front. I originally wanted to use the spindles from my 90 300D, but I didn't feel confident in the strength of the sheet metal over the wheel well to hold the strut tower. Plus I'd have to move other stuff around, too much of a hassle.

On the 300D, the spindle spins on the strut, the original factory setup for the Mazda used an upper and lower control arm with the shock mounted to the frame and the lower control arm. There weren't coil springs in the front, but torsion bars instead.

What I would like to find is a spindle from a MB that will allow me to use the 300D rotors and calipers that I have, that also utilizes a lower and upper ball joint/control arm. I saw one from a 78 Benz at PaP one day, but the upper joint was over 12" from the lower joint, a bit too extreme for my build.

Anyone know of any other model Benzs that might steer me in the right direction?
EmJay
09-12-2013, 08:09 PM #1

Ok, this is for Project Redemption. One of the things that I am trying to do to my truck is to put MB front brakes and wheels in the front. I originally wanted to use the spindles from my 90 300D, but I didn't feel confident in the strength of the sheet metal over the wheel well to hold the strut tower. Plus I'd have to move other stuff around, too much of a hassle.

On the 300D, the spindle spins on the strut, the original factory setup for the Mazda used an upper and lower control arm with the shock mounted to the frame and the lower control arm. There weren't coil springs in the front, but torsion bars instead.

What I would like to find is a spindle from a MB that will allow me to use the 300D rotors and calipers that I have, that also utilizes a lower and upper ball joint/control arm. I saw one from a 78 Benz at PaP one day, but the upper joint was over 12" from the lower joint, a bit too extreme for my build.

Anyone know of any other model Benzs that might steer me in the right direction?

Austincarnut
Holset

09-12-2013, 08:14 PM #2
(09-12-2013, 08:09 PM)EmJay Ok, this is for Project Redemption. One of the things that I am trying to do to my truck is to put MB front brakes and wheels in the front. I originally wanted to use the spindles from my 90 300D, but I didn't feel confident in the strength of the sheet metal over the wheel well to hold the strut tower. Plus I'd have to move other stuff around, too much of a hassle.

the 107 used upper/lower control arms
Austincarnut
09-12-2013, 08:14 PM #2

(09-12-2013, 08:09 PM)EmJay Ok, this is for Project Redemption. One of the things that I am trying to do to my truck is to put MB front brakes and wheels in the front. I originally wanted to use the spindles from my 90 300D, but I didn't feel confident in the strength of the sheet metal over the wheel well to hold the strut tower. Plus I'd have to move other stuff around, too much of a hassle.

the 107 used upper/lower control arms

EmJay
Holset

09-12-2013, 08:37 PM #3
Hmm, I saw a picture of a spindle from a 107, listed as an 81-84 380sl. it looks like that I should be able to use that one. Thanks!
EmJay
09-12-2013, 08:37 PM #3

Hmm, I saw a picture of a spindle from a 107, listed as an 81-84 380sl. it looks like that I should be able to use that one. Thanks!

Simpler=Better
PORTED HEAD

09-12-2013, 09:04 PM #4
I see where you're going, but is there any reason to ditch the torsion bars? Don't they make prerunners out of those guys?

Newbie-read this: Cheap Tricks
617.952-220k-Getting built up
larsalan I guess I need to look at this stupid ass drip shit. What you have to like mess with those elements on the pump? What a fucking hassle. then use some wire to hold the throttle open or some shit?
Simpler=Better
09-12-2013, 09:04 PM #4

I see where you're going, but is there any reason to ditch the torsion bars? Don't they make prerunners out of those guys?

larsalan I guess I need to look at this stupid ass drip shit. What you have to like mess with those elements on the pump? What a fucking hassle. then use some wire to hold the throttle open or some shit?

EmJay
Holset

09-12-2013, 10:33 PM #5
my choice for using the MB spindle or the Mazda spindle is independent from ditching or keeping the torsion bars. The spindle swap up front is purely for the larger brakes and the use of MB wheels. I'm still going to be using the Mazda shock mounting points.

I'm doing coilovers in the front to help with the additional weight of the bigger motor. The torsions can be tightened to a degree to compensate for such, but it makes the ride bumpier. The use of coilovers will help make the ride smoother. I can adjust the height of the suspension this way, and independently affect the smoothness of the ride. With the torsion bar setup, it's a tradeoff.
EmJay
09-12-2013, 10:33 PM #5

my choice for using the MB spindle or the Mazda spindle is independent from ditching or keeping the torsion bars. The spindle swap up front is purely for the larger brakes and the use of MB wheels. I'm still going to be using the Mazda shock mounting points.

I'm doing coilovers in the front to help with the additional weight of the bigger motor. The torsions can be tightened to a degree to compensate for such, but it makes the ride bumpier. The use of coilovers will help make the ride smoother. I can adjust the height of the suspension this way, and independently affect the smoothness of the ride. With the torsion bar setup, it's a tradeoff.

Simpler=Better
PORTED HEAD

09-13-2013, 08:11 AM #6
The Ford 4.5x5 is damn close to the merc pattern, but I understand what you're going for. Good luck I'm not a huge suspension guy.

Thread hijack-do you know anything about increasing the steering travel on a rack & pinion? My 98 ranger(IFS, r&P) has the turn radius of a semi, while my 94 ranger turned like a gokart (torsion, steering box). On a related note, how do you feel about gutting the R&P on a truck to go to manual steering?

Simpler=Better
09-13-2013, 08:11 AM #6

The Ford 4.5x5 is damn close to the merc pattern, but I understand what you're going for. Good luck I'm not a huge suspension guy.

Thread hijack-do you know anything about increasing the steering travel on a rack & pinion? My 98 ranger(IFS, r&P) has the turn radius of a semi, while my 94 ranger turned like a gokart (torsion, steering box). On a related note, how do you feel about gutting the R&P on a truck to go to manual steering?

EmJay
Holset

09-13-2013, 08:39 AM #7
I don't know much about that. The furthest extent I know about R&P steering swaps/gutting is installing an RX7 R&P setup into a drift B2000 truck.

Sometimes, there are bump stops that prevent further steering travel, you might be able to cut them down or remove them to get further steering travel.
EmJay
09-13-2013, 08:39 AM #7

I don't know much about that. The furthest extent I know about R&P steering swaps/gutting is installing an RX7 R&P setup into a drift B2000 truck.

Sometimes, there are bump stops that prevent further steering travel, you might be able to cut them down or remove them to get further steering travel.

Druk
Holset

09-13-2013, 08:57 AM #8
This is the front end set-up for a 107 if it helps.

[Image: turbo064.jpg]
Druk
09-13-2013, 08:57 AM #8

This is the front end set-up for a 107 if it helps.

[Image: turbo064.jpg]

raysorenson
Superturbo

09-13-2013, 09:38 AM #9
Have you looked into whether or not any of the later Ford torsion bars will fit? They should be available in significantly stiffer rates. I'm at a Ford dealer and can easily take some measurements if you're interested.

The reason I say this is that torsion bar suspension is good stuff, it's easy on the LCA bushings, causes little bushing stiction and won't require frame mods.
raysorenson
09-13-2013, 09:38 AM #9

Have you looked into whether or not any of the later Ford torsion bars will fit? They should be available in significantly stiffer rates. I'm at a Ford dealer and can easily take some measurements if you're interested.

The reason I say this is that torsion bar suspension is good stuff, it's easy on the LCA bushings, causes little bushing stiction and won't require frame mods.

EmJay
Holset

09-13-2013, 03:40 PM #10
Druk any chance you have any measurements, specifically in between the lower and the upper ball joint mount and shock length??? That looks absolutely perfect from my end!

One last question, do 124 brakes fit the 107?

For the torsion bars, I could get thicker torsions from a B2600i 4X4 model, those are rare and hard to come by in the yards though. Any conflict with running both coilovers AND torsions?
This post was last modified: 09-13-2013, 03:41 PM by EmJay.
EmJay
09-13-2013, 03:40 PM #10

Druk any chance you have any measurements, specifically in between the lower and the upper ball joint mount and shock length??? That looks absolutely perfect from my end!

For the torsion bars, I could get thicker torsions from a B2600i 4X4 model, those are rare and hard to come by in the yards though. Any conflict with running both coilovers AND torsions?

Druk
Holset

09-13-2013, 04:01 PM #11
(09-13-2013, 03:40 PM)EmJay Druk any chance you have any measurements, specifically in between the lower and the upper ball joint mount and shock length??? That looks absolutely perfect from my end!

I'll have the car up the hoist sometime early next week and take more shots and measurements. Don't think 124 brakes fit but maybe 126 do.

This post was last modified: 09-13-2013, 04:02 PM by Druk.
Druk
09-13-2013, 04:01 PM #11

(09-13-2013, 03:40 PM)EmJay Druk any chance you have any measurements, specifically in between the lower and the upper ball joint mount and shock length??? That looks absolutely perfect from my end!

I'll have the car up the hoist sometime early next week and take more shots and measurements. Don't think 124 brakes fit but maybe 126 do.

EmJay
Holset

09-14-2013, 07:19 PM #12
I'm going to take a look at a 74 280 that is at my PaP in South Atlanta tomorrow or Monday, I'm hoping that it is a 107 chassis. If it is I'll be getting the spindles from it.
EmJay
09-14-2013, 07:19 PM #12

I'm going to take a look at a 74 280 that is at my PaP in South Atlanta tomorrow or Monday, I'm hoping that it is a 107 chassis. If it is I'll be getting the spindles from it.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average