STD Tuning Engine aftermarket gauges

aftermarket gauges

aftermarket gauges

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

EmJay
Holset

09-08-2013, 10:04 PM #1
Ok guys, have I got a good one for you.

I'm using a turbo OM602 in my B2000 pickup. Among other things that I need to do to successfully complete this swap, I am needing to use some aftermarket gauges. I didn't feel like wiring in the factory computer for simplicity reasons, nor do I feel like using the factory gauges. I found a spot to put my coolant temp gauge (it's a mechanical gauge, not electronic) just above the water pump. It's nice and tight in there. I found a nice spot for the boost gauge, and voltage is a piece of cake.

I am having a hard time locating a good spot to put the oil pressure sensor. I wanted to use the factory sensor location on the oil filter housing, but the size of the fitting is a weird size that I can't find a location for. I could always enlarge the hole a little bit and tap it for my adapter, but I would like to be able to back step if I decided that I needed to use the factory sensor in the future. (like if I wreck said truck and the motor in my 16v pukes.)

Now someone here HAS to have installed aftermarket gauges before, what I want to know is WHERE did you put the fitting?

Another gauge question, where is the best place to mount an EGT gauge probe? I was originally going to weld a bung in exhaust pipe about 6 inches past the turbo, should I put it further down stream?
EmJay
09-08-2013, 10:04 PM #1

Ok guys, have I got a good one for you.

I'm using a turbo OM602 in my B2000 pickup. Among other things that I need to do to successfully complete this swap, I am needing to use some aftermarket gauges. I didn't feel like wiring in the factory computer for simplicity reasons, nor do I feel like using the factory gauges. I found a spot to put my coolant temp gauge (it's a mechanical gauge, not electronic) just above the water pump. It's nice and tight in there. I found a nice spot for the boost gauge, and voltage is a piece of cake.

I am having a hard time locating a good spot to put the oil pressure sensor. I wanted to use the factory sensor location on the oil filter housing, but the size of the fitting is a weird size that I can't find a location for. I could always enlarge the hole a little bit and tap it for my adapter, but I would like to be able to back step if I decided that I needed to use the factory sensor in the future. (like if I wreck said truck and the motor in my 16v pukes.)

Now someone here HAS to have installed aftermarket gauges before, what I want to know is WHERE did you put the fitting?

Another gauge question, where is the best place to mount an EGT gauge probe? I was originally going to weld a bung in exhaust pipe about 6 inches past the turbo, should I put it further down stream?

MFSuper90
Budget Builder

09-08-2013, 10:08 PM #2
Best place for egt is in the manifold right before the turbo so you Get an accurate reading.
For oil, what about using the stock line then a compression fitting to adapt to your gauge? That's what I had to do on mine cause the line wouldn't turn inside the fitting, so I cut it then compressioned it back together

'82 300D -3" straight pipe, ALDA deleted, 3in1 glowshift gauge, HX30, egr-less manifold, A/W intercooler Big Grin
'14 Ram 6.7l cummins -G56 handshaker, wishing it was deleted         
MFSuper90
09-08-2013, 10:08 PM #2

Best place for egt is in the manifold right before the turbo so you Get an accurate reading.
For oil, what about using the stock line then a compression fitting to adapt to your gauge? That's what I had to do on mine cause the line wouldn't turn inside the fitting, so I cut it then compressioned it back together

'82 300D -3" straight pipe, ALDA deleted, 3in1 glowshift gauge, HX30, egr-less manifold, A/W intercooler Big Grin

Simpler=Better
PORTED HEAD

09-08-2013, 10:09 PM #3
Buy a thread pitch gauge set for metric fittings, that will help you figure out the stock fitting size. Or measure it with calipers (distance between 10 threads, divide by 10)

I just tapped mine to NPT but that's my preference Smile

You might be able to look up the stock sensor's resistance and find a gauge that can use that?

Newbie-read this: Cheap Tricks
617.952-220k-Getting built up
larsalan I guess I need to look at this stupid ass drip shit. What you have to like mess with those elements on the pump? What a fucking hassle. then use some wire to hold the throttle open or some shit?
Simpler=Better
09-08-2013, 10:09 PM #3

Buy a thread pitch gauge set for metric fittings, that will help you figure out the stock fitting size. Or measure it with calipers (distance between 10 threads, divide by 10)

I just tapped mine to NPT but that's my preference Smile

You might be able to look up the stock sensor's resistance and find a gauge that can use that?

larsalan I guess I need to look at this stupid ass drip shit. What you have to like mess with those elements on the pump? What a fucking hassle. then use some wire to hold the throttle open or some shit?

EmJay
Holset

09-09-2013, 12:58 AM #4
stock line? I like the sound of that, but the only lines that I can see are the ones that go to the cooler or the one that goes to the turbo. Is there an obvious one that I'm missing? For EGT, that's a good idea but I'm afraid to weld a bung onto cast iron. I don't want to destroy a manifold in the process.

I do like the idea of using an electronic gauge, I'll keep my eye out for one that will work with the MB sensor. That way, I don't have to have a line with oil pressure entering the cab. That is why I went with the copper line instead of the nylon one that came with the gauge.
This post was last modified: 09-09-2013, 01:01 AM by EmJay.
EmJay
09-09-2013, 12:58 AM #4

stock line? I like the sound of that, but the only lines that I can see are the ones that go to the cooler or the one that goes to the turbo. Is there an obvious one that I'm missing? For EGT, that's a good idea but I'm afraid to weld a bung onto cast iron. I don't want to destroy a manifold in the process.

I do like the idea of using an electronic gauge, I'll keep my eye out for one that will work with the MB sensor. That way, I don't have to have a line with oil pressure entering the cab. That is why I went with the copper line instead of the nylon one that came with the gauge.

MFSuper90
Budget Builder

09-09-2013, 06:54 AM #5
You don't have to weld a bung In it, the manifold is thick enough you just drill and tap for whatever size you nees

MFSuper90
09-09-2013, 06:54 AM #5

You don't have to weld a bung In it, the manifold is thick enough you just drill and tap for whatever size you nees

Simpler=Better
PORTED HEAD

09-09-2013, 08:12 AM #6
(09-09-2013, 12:58 AM)EmJay stock line? I like the sound of that, but the only lines that I can see are the ones that go to the cooler or the one that goes to the turbo. Is there an obvious one that I'm missing? For EGT, that's a good idea but I'm afraid to weld a bung onto cast iron. I don't want to destroy a manifold in the process.

Auber Instruments have a variety of cheap digital electronic gauges, they might be just what you're looking for.

For the oil pressure, Mercedes definitely used some kind of standard thread for the oil pressure pickup-it would be really really weird if they didn't.

Simpler=Better
09-09-2013, 08:12 AM #6

(09-09-2013, 12:58 AM)EmJay stock line? I like the sound of that, but the only lines that I can see are the ones that go to the cooler or the one that goes to the turbo. Is there an obvious one that I'm missing? For EGT, that's a good idea but I'm afraid to weld a bung onto cast iron. I don't want to destroy a manifold in the process.

Auber Instruments have a variety of cheap digital electronic gauges, they might be just what you're looking for.

For the oil pressure, Mercedes definitely used some kind of standard thread for the oil pressure pickup-it would be really really weird if they didn't.

raysorenson
Superturbo

09-09-2013, 09:44 AM #7
This page has 2 options for dealing with the metric thread on the oil filter housing.

http://www.mercedesdiesel4x4.com/category_s/1834.htm

Have you considered one of the Innovate dual function wideband gauges that can do pressure or temp too?
raysorenson
09-09-2013, 09:44 AM #7

This page has 2 options for dealing with the metric thread on the oil filter housing.

http://www.mercedesdiesel4x4.com/category_s/1834.htm

Have you considered one of the Innovate dual function wideband gauges that can do pressure or temp too?

EmJay
Holset

09-09-2013, 10:47 PM #8
That adapter might be perfect for what I need there Ray! Any chance that you know if the 617 and the 602 use the same sensor (or at least same thread size?) I'm using a 602 and the adapter is listed as being for a 617.
EmJay
09-09-2013, 10:47 PM #8

That adapter might be perfect for what I need there Ray! Any chance that you know if the 617 and the 602 use the same sensor (or at least same thread size?) I'm using a 602 and the adapter is listed as being for a 617.

bricktron
'77 240D

09-10-2013, 03:47 AM #9
VDO sells gauge sensors for both metric and british fittings. my guess is you just need to seek out the euro sensor with the other threading.

english red rat rod 1977 240D, OM617.952 burning B99.9, iron 4-speed & 2.88 diff, 195/60/R14 on alloys, 5mph bumpers, battery in the trunk, 25mm swaybar, 4x ECE H4 lamps, double brake lamps, deleted sunroof, export zoll & california blue plates

bricktron
09-10-2013, 03:47 AM #9

VDO sells gauge sensors for both metric and british fittings. my guess is you just need to seek out the euro sensor with the other threading.

english red rat rod 1977 240D, OM617.952 burning B99.9, iron 4-speed & 2.88 diff, 195/60/R14 on alloys, 5mph bumpers, battery in the trunk, 25mm swaybar, 4x ECE H4 lamps, double brake lamps, deleted sunroof, export zoll & california blue plates

raysorenson
Superturbo

09-10-2013, 08:50 AM #10
The 617 has an oil line going into the dash, so no sensor. The thread is M12x1.5.
raysorenson
09-10-2013, 08:50 AM #10

The 617 has an oil line going into the dash, so no sensor. The thread is M12x1.5.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average