STD Other FS / WTB / Buying guides worth buying wrecked 1995 E300 to part out?

worth buying wrecked 1995 E300 to part out?

worth buying wrecked 1995 E300 to part out?

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

bkc
Unregistered

08-29-2013, 10:51 PM #1
So... a car I was looking at buying and fixing just doesn't pencil out for repair, given what the guy wants as a purchase price.

=== The details:
* 1995 E300 diesel (w124)
* 188k miles
* OM606 non-turbo (although allegedly is sturdy enough to just tack on a later turbo?)

=== The damage:
* hit ahead of the front left wheel
* no frame/unibody bending
* apron and fender mangled, bumper minor damage, side light destroyed, hood very slightly rolled
* left strut needs to be replaced

According to owner, A/C system supposedly mostly new, needs evaporator replaced, since everything else already was and still didn't provide cold (or his indie could be clueless and it might be a relay/valve somewhere, especially if the indie isn't expert on the whole Klima thing).

Car is drivable as is, but a little wonky on sharp turns or at high speed (I tied in the left headlight with fishing line to be "street legal" when I drove it to the shop).

$1,500 purchase (originally was talking about a scrap price of around $500, but then it wasn't totaled by insurance)
$3,600 body shop repairs, even with providing parts off my wrecked '93 and doing a fair amount of attach/detach labor myself

Should I get it at the $1,500 to part it out? Anyone here interested in enough parts to make it worth the hassle? I need to decide ASAP.

Thanks for any advice!
-bkc
bkc
08-29-2013, 10:51 PM #1

So... a car I was looking at buying and fixing just doesn't pencil out for repair, given what the guy wants as a purchase price.

=== The details:
* 1995 E300 diesel (w124)
* 188k miles
* OM606 non-turbo (although allegedly is sturdy enough to just tack on a later turbo?)

=== The damage:
* hit ahead of the front left wheel
* no frame/unibody bending
* apron and fender mangled, bumper minor damage, side light destroyed, hood very slightly rolled
* left strut needs to be replaced

According to owner, A/C system supposedly mostly new, needs evaporator replaced, since everything else already was and still didn't provide cold (or his indie could be clueless and it might be a relay/valve somewhere, especially if the indie isn't expert on the whole Klima thing).

Car is drivable as is, but a little wonky on sharp turns or at high speed (I tied in the left headlight with fishing line to be "street legal" when I drove it to the shop).

$1,500 purchase (originally was talking about a scrap price of around $500, but then it wasn't totaled by insurance)
$3,600 body shop repairs, even with providing parts off my wrecked '93 and doing a fair amount of attach/detach labor myself

Should I get it at the $1,500 to part it out? Anyone here interested in enough parts to make it worth the hassle? I need to decide ASAP.

Thanks for any advice!
-bkc

larsalan
Superturbo

08-30-2013, 04:13 AM #2
Some people might think the driveline is worth the $1500. Any other parts you could sell off would just be a bonus. But then some people would only want the turbo motor not the na version.

Rusted out beat down 300d turbo 82' -- RIP
Nice body, tons of ridiculous mechanical issues - 300d turbo 82' /motor 85'
larsalan
08-30-2013, 04:13 AM #2

Some people might think the driveline is worth the $1500. Any other parts you could sell off would just be a bonus. But then some people would only want the turbo motor not the na version.

Rusted out beat down 300d turbo 82' -- RIP
Nice body, tons of ridiculous mechanical issues - 300d turbo 82' /motor 85'

aaa
GT2256V

08-30-2013, 11:21 PM #3
Get it for less.
aaa
08-30-2013, 11:21 PM #3

Get it for less.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average