STD Other Projects my b@$t@rd coupe project.

my b@$t@rd coupe project.

my b@$t@rd coupe project.

• 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average

Pages (2): 1 2 Next
1911diesel
GT2256V

08-20-2013, 09:50 AM #1
ok, flame me, hate me, help me, whatever. this is my project and i will post my results as i have new ones.

list of goals, these are just random order as i think of them
1 large fmic this requires alot of cutting removal of front bumper and cut the crap out of the grill. and non arv turbo and clocked turbo, almost off the teal sd and will be clocked and put on the coupe
2 cool air intake thru pass hi beam.
3 get cut DVs back from machinist. ( my buddy who is machining them measured the collars and said they are 14 thousands wide and he will be taking 8 thousands off of them. he also said they are bhn of 62, which is hard as f**k! he is worried about them jumping out of the jig he made when he puts tool to steel!)
4 boost and egt gauges
5 lowered and kyb gas shocks
6 newer factory amg or benz rims
7 painted black
8 play with stock pump
9 fender dump exhaust
10 10mm plungers and barrels in an mw pump. i have talked to scheid diesel and they said they will put the plungers and barrels in a pump and flow bench it and calibrate for me for 1500. they sounded pretty sure they could do what ever i wanted to the pump. heck they said they would build a billet pump if i wanted to spend the cash! lol
11 lower geared rear end i think the coupe is running either 2.88 or 3.07s i have found conflicting info on what the 81 300d runs... so im not sure but if its 2.88s ill take the 3.07s out of the sd and swap them out.
12 4 spd swap out of a 240d n/a and hopefully the 3.69s? rear end

thats all i can think of for right now, i will update list as more comes to mind. i have already started mounting the intercooler, and was trying to have the ic mounted and the cut DVs in by scheid diesel fest but im having troubles finding 2.5 inch intercooler boots instock in town and will have to order the last 3 i need and it wont be functional by this weekend... the DVs were gonna be done by wensday but by buddies boss dumped some stuff that needs done asap and he may not get to them til next week...i really wanted to get a dyno run on just stock pump with cut DVs and ic... but i dont think it will happen by this weekend...

i have contacted the company that makes all the plungers and barrels but have not received an email back from them as of yet.

well here is a pic of the fmic mounted and the cooler piping started, i cant finish it until i have the other turbo clocked and mounted and have the rest of the boots to put everything together. so im kind of at a stand still... sniff sniff...
[Image: DSC_03131_zps7849d320.jpg]

well thats really all i have for now, i hope to have it painted in a couple days, and if i can manage to fine some 2.5 intercooler boots ill finish the ic project. i will have dyno numbers to show what the stock DVs do and what the cut DVs will do, i will also have him do some full cuts and see if how it does. i have a few spare sets laying around so im not scared to lose a set over trial and error. i have less then 1k in the car, and less then 1500 in the car and all the mods i plan to do less the large pump. so cry that i cut up a nice coupe or not its my d@mn car ill do what i want to it. and i will try n post as much info as i can. i know the om617 is gaining more popularity and im not the only person looking for more power. the tech at scheid said that properly cut DVs should flow 10-20 more cc's of fuel and the 8 thousands im cutting off the first set should do something, he said he doesnt know how much more but it should flow a little more. I WILL find out.

82 300SD-this engine may go in the 78...-Mary Jane
78 300CD-may be getting a new engine and rear end...-Brunhilde
82 300CD-uhhh race car project???-Gerda
85 300SD- the womans daily ITS F**KING PINK!-Tsybil
92 F350 CC LB dually-back up/tow pig/long haul land yacht.-Betsey

[Image: PicMonkeyCollage_zpsc1d9cd5f.jpg]
1911diesel
08-20-2013, 09:50 AM #1

ok, flame me, hate me, help me, whatever. this is my project and i will post my results as i have new ones.

list of goals, these are just random order as i think of them
1 large fmic this requires alot of cutting removal of front bumper and cut the crap out of the grill. and non arv turbo and clocked turbo, almost off the teal sd and will be clocked and put on the coupe
2 cool air intake thru pass hi beam.
3 get cut DVs back from machinist. ( my buddy who is machining them measured the collars and said they are 14 thousands wide and he will be taking 8 thousands off of them. he also said they are bhn of 62, which is hard as f**k! he is worried about them jumping out of the jig he made when he puts tool to steel!)
4 boost and egt gauges
5 lowered and kyb gas shocks
6 newer factory amg or benz rims
7 painted black
8 play with stock pump
9 fender dump exhaust
10 10mm plungers and barrels in an mw pump. i have talked to scheid diesel and they said they will put the plungers and barrels in a pump and flow bench it and calibrate for me for 1500. they sounded pretty sure they could do what ever i wanted to the pump. heck they said they would build a billet pump if i wanted to spend the cash! lol
11 lower geared rear end i think the coupe is running either 2.88 or 3.07s i have found conflicting info on what the 81 300d runs... so im not sure but if its 2.88s ill take the 3.07s out of the sd and swap them out.
12 4 spd swap out of a 240d n/a and hopefully the 3.69s? rear end

thats all i can think of for right now, i will update list as more comes to mind. i have already started mounting the intercooler, and was trying to have the ic mounted and the cut DVs in by scheid diesel fest but im having troubles finding 2.5 inch intercooler boots instock in town and will have to order the last 3 i need and it wont be functional by this weekend... the DVs were gonna be done by wensday but by buddies boss dumped some stuff that needs done asap and he may not get to them til next week...i really wanted to get a dyno run on just stock pump with cut DVs and ic... but i dont think it will happen by this weekend...

i have contacted the company that makes all the plungers and barrels but have not received an email back from them as of yet.

well here is a pic of the fmic mounted and the cooler piping started, i cant finish it until i have the other turbo clocked and mounted and have the rest of the boots to put everything together. so im kind of at a stand still... sniff sniff...
[Image: DSC_03131_zps7849d320.jpg]

well thats really all i have for now, i hope to have it painted in a couple days, and if i can manage to fine some 2.5 intercooler boots ill finish the ic project. i will have dyno numbers to show what the stock DVs do and what the cut DVs will do, i will also have him do some full cuts and see if how it does. i have a few spare sets laying around so im not scared to lose a set over trial and error. i have less then 1k in the car, and less then 1500 in the car and all the mods i plan to do less the large pump. so cry that i cut up a nice coupe or not its my d@mn car ill do what i want to it. and i will try n post as much info as i can. i know the om617 is gaining more popularity and im not the only person looking for more power. the tech at scheid said that properly cut DVs should flow 10-20 more cc's of fuel and the 8 thousands im cutting off the first set should do something, he said he doesnt know how much more but it should flow a little more. I WILL find out.

lgreeley83
Mr. Rumbles

08-20-2013, 11:12 AM #2
lol intercooler!!! Keep us posted. waiting for more

" straighten up that star on the grill, assholes."

lgreeley83
08-20-2013, 11:12 AM #2

lol intercooler!!! Keep us posted. waiting for more

Simpler=Better
PORTED HEAD

08-20-2013, 11:52 AM #3
For temp boots just get rubber elbows from home depot. They won't last very long but they whould be OK in a pinch.

You're not going to get flamed here, we like to blow shit up.

I think 8 thou is a little aggressive-I'd only knock off 4 thou from the DV's and see what happens

Can the diesel shop down there bore your injectors at all? If you're runing a huge pump but little teeny injectors will it be able to swueeze all the fuel through?

It's looking straigh Mad Max, sun Smile
This post was last modified: 08-20-2013, 11:54 AM by Simpler=Better.

Newbie-read this: Cheap Tricks
617.952-220k-Getting built up
larsalan I guess I need to look at this stupid ass drip shit. What you have to like mess with those elements on the pump? What a fucking hassle. then use some wire to hold the throttle open or some shit?
Simpler=Better
08-20-2013, 11:52 AM #3

For temp boots just get rubber elbows from home depot. They won't last very long but they whould be OK in a pinch.

You're not going to get flamed here, we like to blow shit up.

I think 8 thou is a little aggressive-I'd only knock off 4 thou from the DV's and see what happens

Can the diesel shop down there bore your injectors at all? If you're runing a huge pump but little teeny injectors will it be able to swueeze all the fuel through?

larsalan I guess I need to look at this stupid ass drip shit. What you have to like mess with those elements on the pump? What a fucking hassle. then use some wire to hold the throttle open or some shit?

JB3
Superturbo

08-20-2013, 12:25 PM #4
(08-20-2013, 09:50 AM)1911diesel ok, flame me, hate me, help me, whatever. this is my project and i will post my results as i have new ones.

LOL, I just got off the phone with the classic center, and they are pissed that your 300CD has a painted on star on a non stock component, and wanted me to check to see if you altered the tire size or installed anything other than a factory radio.
I said you took the bumper off and I think the guy dropped dead right then.

Big Grin

People are receptive to any and all awesome diesel project here, great project! looking forward to engine pics as you get it figured out!

1974 240D 617 turbo swap, W201 5-speed, in the works project
1983 240D 616 stock, DD
1989 Chevy Astro, 617 turbo swap, T5 5-speed, 4.56 diff, work van

JB3
08-20-2013, 12:25 PM #4

(08-20-2013, 09:50 AM)1911diesel ok, flame me, hate me, help me, whatever. this is my project and i will post my results as i have new ones.

LOL, I just got off the phone with the classic center, and they are pissed that your 300CD has a painted on star on a non stock component, and wanted me to check to see if you altered the tire size or installed anything other than a factory radio.

Big Grin

People are receptive to any and all awesome diesel project here, great project! looking forward to engine pics as you get it figured out!

1983 240D 616 stock, DD

DeliveryValve
Superturbo

08-20-2013, 02:28 PM #5
Awesome stuff!

(08-20-2013, 09:50 AM)1911diesel ...

If you want a modded MW IP for way under a $1000.00 provided you supply the 10mm plungers and barrels, call these guys in California. They should be able to help you out.

BECS Pacific Bakersfield
Kris Wolfenstein
Address: 600 Enterprise Way, Bakersfield, CA 93307
Telephone: (661) 397-9400

Or

Diesel Injection Systems
John Kady
1021 Tama Lane Suite 101
Santa Maria, CA 93455
(805) 925-1599

This post was last modified: 08-20-2013, 02:30 PM by DeliveryValve.

Gota love Mercedes Diesels!

DeliveryValve
08-20-2013, 02:28 PM #5

Awesome stuff!

(08-20-2013, 09:50 AM)1911diesel ...

If you want a modded MW IP for way under a $1000.00 provided you supply the 10mm plungers and barrels, call these guys in California. They should be able to help you out.

BECS Pacific Bakersfield
Kris Wolfenstein
Address: 600 Enterprise Way, Bakersfield, CA 93307
Telephone: (661) 397-9400

Or

Diesel Injection Systems
John Kady
1021 Tama Lane Suite 101
Santa Maria, CA 93455
(805) 925-1599

1911diesel
GT2256V

08-20-2013, 03:45 PM #6
hummm well its all black, ill post a pic later when the camera is charged. as for the pump, well schied is known for building HI HP diesel engines, if they say they can build me a pump to do what i want i trust them. people come from hundreds of miles to have schied build their pumps injectors and engines. it may cost more but i bet i get a good pump done right. not saying that who ever you are suggesting isnt good at what they do. just i know schied knows their $h*t. i was told to use rubber rad line for temp but i dunno if i wanna do that either. i think i will wait for the boots and just leave it up for visual pleasure for now. maybe this weekend do the cool air intake thru the head light door and fender dump exhaust. i would really like to have it slammed before this weekend, but i couldnt figure out how to get the rear springs out with a spring compressor... there isnt enough room to get it in there to compress the dang spring! some help please???

oh and btw i LOVE blowing $h*t up! thats why i keep spare engines for anything i like! lol blow it up swap a new one in and dont do that again! lol
This post was last modified: 08-20-2013, 03:49 PM by 1911diesel.

1911diesel
08-20-2013, 03:45 PM #6

hummm well its all black, ill post a pic later when the camera is charged. as for the pump, well schied is known for building HI HP diesel engines, if they say they can build me a pump to do what i want i trust them. people come from hundreds of miles to have schied build their pumps injectors and engines. it may cost more but i bet i get a good pump done right. not saying that who ever you are suggesting isnt good at what they do. just i know schied knows their $h*t. i was told to use rubber rad line for temp but i dunno if i wanna do that either. i think i will wait for the boots and just leave it up for visual pleasure for now. maybe this weekend do the cool air intake thru the head light door and fender dump exhaust. i would really like to have it slammed before this weekend, but i couldnt figure out how to get the rear springs out with a spring compressor... there isnt enough room to get it in there to compress the dang spring! some help please???

oh and btw i LOVE blowing $h*t up! thats why i keep spare engines for anything i like! lol blow it up swap a new one in and dont do that again! lol

JB3
Superturbo

08-20-2013, 04:03 PM #7
(08-20-2013, 03:45 PM)1911diesel . i would really like to have it slammed before this weekend, but i couldnt figure out how to get the rear springs out with a spring compressor... there isnt enough room to get it in there to compress the dang spring! some help please???

Im pretty sure you can drop the whole rear subframe as a unit and make both springs loose at the same time if you don't have a compressor for the individuals.

Someone will have to verify, but I think a number of people have done it, definitely something to put in the search function here and over on PP. I remember reading it documented

1983 240D 616 stock, DD

JB3
08-20-2013, 04:03 PM #7

(08-20-2013, 03:45 PM)1911diesel . i would really like to have it slammed before this weekend, but i couldnt figure out how to get the rear springs out with a spring compressor... there isnt enough room to get it in there to compress the dang spring! some help please???

Im pretty sure you can drop the whole rear subframe as a unit and make both springs loose at the same time if you don't have a compressor for the individuals.

Someone will have to verify, but I think a number of people have done it, definitely something to put in the search function here and over on PP. I remember reading it documented

1983 240D 616 stock, DD

1911diesel
GT2256V

08-20-2013, 04:11 PM #8
new pics! all black, BTW it was rattle caned, i normally wouldnt do this, i have been known to borrow a booth and paint it proper before but time constraints and all that, and most of all i wasnt sure how much longer i could handle that ugly a$$ brown/tan/gold color. i thought i was gonna puke if i had to look at it again.

[Image: DSC_0321_zps7eb09017.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0319_zpsb8552aba.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0318_zpsa028cd19.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0317_zpsfd0bacf9.jpg]

oh and BTW i took both bumpers off! lol if he is still alive tell him that and see if he dies then...lol

oh and while im still thinking about it, has anyone else tried to have their DVs machined? i know he who shall not be named cut the collars completely off with an air drill and a dremel tool... but thats not gonna give you the quality i would think these engines would need to run right... and i have read that cutting the collars will give late injections, but wouldnt raising the pop pressure on the injectors and advancing the timing help correct this? i dunno ive only just started playing with diesels (last 2 or 3 years), i have built plenty of projects but this is the first HI HP diesel project i have ever attempted. not planned, i wanted to build the truck up but it seems cheaper and easier to start on the benz. then move on to bigger engines...lol
This post was last modified: 08-20-2013, 04:35 PM by 1911diesel.

1911diesel
08-20-2013, 04:11 PM #8

new pics! all black, BTW it was rattle caned, i normally wouldnt do this, i have been known to borrow a booth and paint it proper before but time constraints and all that, and most of all i wasnt sure how much longer i could handle that ugly a$$ brown/tan/gold color. i thought i was gonna puke if i had to look at it again.

[Image: DSC_0321_zps7eb09017.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0319_zpsb8552aba.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0318_zpsa028cd19.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0317_zpsfd0bacf9.jpg]

oh and BTW i took both bumpers off! lol if he is still alive tell him that and see if he dies then...lol

oh and while im still thinking about it, has anyone else tried to have their DVs machined? i know he who shall not be named cut the collars completely off with an air drill and a dremel tool... but thats not gonna give you the quality i would think these engines would need to run right... and i have read that cutting the collars will give late injections, but wouldnt raising the pop pressure on the injectors and advancing the timing help correct this? i dunno ive only just started playing with diesels (last 2 or 3 years), i have built plenty of projects but this is the first HI HP diesel project i have ever attempted. not planned, i wanted to build the truck up but it seems cheaper and easier to start on the benz. then move on to bigger engines...lol

1911diesel
GT2256V

08-20-2013, 08:44 PM #9
ya know, for all this talk about the cut DVs and the rough idle, i have only found a few threads about it... every one seems to have the same general statement. rough idle high egts. i promise i have searched, and searched, and searched, google and here STD and have only found 5 threads that even mention cut DVs what am i missing? i know sometimes im r-tarded but please help this r-tard find some helpful info.

1911diesel
08-20-2013, 08:44 PM #9

ya know, for all this talk about the cut DVs and the rough idle, i have only found a few threads about it... every one seems to have the same general statement. rough idle high egts. i promise i have searched, and searched, and searched, google and here STD and have only found 5 threads that even mention cut DVs what am i missing? i know sometimes im r-tarded but please help this r-tard find some helpful info.

Ksteen2
Holset

08-21-2013, 02:42 AM #10
I know I would'nt care, but what does the police and shit say about that mounting in the front?
If you did that in norway, where I live, they probably would have suspended your driving license and give you a huge ticket :o
about a 1000$ or something :o

1#
Volvo 940 estate 1995
Originaly a d24tic
Changed to OM606.962 From the old 81 Benz
4" dp, 3,5" stainless from DP out.
8mm dieselmeken pump att 180cc
BW kkk K29 turbo, 15cm hot side
home made flywheel with sachs 765PP and original mercedes 240mm organic disc  
6speed cdi box
4,5" humongus cooler
Please wait, loading boost
Ksteen2
08-21-2013, 02:42 AM #10

I know I would'nt care, but what does the police and shit say about that mounting in the front?
If you did that in norway, where I live, they probably would have suspended your driving license and give you a huge ticket :o

1#
Volvo 940 estate 1995
Originaly a d24tic
6speed cdi box
4,5" humongus cooler

MFSuper90
Budget Builder

08-21-2013, 07:18 AM #11
He's from the US, we don't give a sh*t! Big Grin

'82 300D -3" straight pipe, ALDA deleted, 3in1 glowshift gauge, HX30, egr-less manifold, A/W intercooler Big Grin
'14 Ram 6.7l cummins -G56 handshaker, wishing it was deleted         
MFSuper90
08-21-2013, 07:18 AM #11

He's from the US, we don't give a sh*t! Big Grin

'82 300D -3" straight pipe, ALDA deleted, 3in1 glowshift gauge, HX30, egr-less manifold, A/W intercooler Big Grin

1911diesel
GT2256V

08-21-2013, 07:37 AM #12
better then that i live in indiana, where the cops only care about meth... cars... ha! we dont even run emissions here! lol i plan on running the fender dump exhaust and i bet i never get pulled over for it. we run hood stacks and bumperless all the time round here!

BTW did a search for cut DVs instead of cut delivery valves and found a post from one guy who put the DVs in a lathe and did it right and he had lower egts but still a "lope idle"? is that the ruff idle every one is complaining about? you people know guys pay big money to have their trucks do that right? of course its not my daily, so i guess i wouldnt have to worry about it all the time...i think i could live with a lope, and if i had to, i could always make some poly engine mounts if it caused undue stress on engine mounts...i guess ill see when i get them back. someone also mentioned playing with the timing and pop pressure to correct some of the problems he was having. well im uber cheap, so until tax time and i have a stack or two to drop on a bigger pump i will make cut DVs work. i just wanna eat a honda or two!... or three....or four...

1911diesel
08-21-2013, 07:37 AM #12

better then that i live in indiana, where the cops only care about meth... cars... ha! we dont even run emissions here! lol i plan on running the fender dump exhaust and i bet i never get pulled over for it. we run hood stacks and bumperless all the time round here!

BTW did a search for cut DVs instead of cut delivery valves and found a post from one guy who put the DVs in a lathe and did it right and he had lower egts but still a "lope idle"? is that the ruff idle every one is complaining about? you people know guys pay big money to have their trucks do that right? of course its not my daily, so i guess i wouldnt have to worry about it all the time...i think i could live with a lope, and if i had to, i could always make some poly engine mounts if it caused undue stress on engine mounts...i guess ill see when i get them back. someone also mentioned playing with the timing and pop pressure to correct some of the problems he was having. well im uber cheap, so until tax time and i have a stack or two to drop on a bigger pump i will make cut DVs work. i just wanna eat a honda or two!... or three....or four...

JB3
Superturbo

08-21-2013, 07:57 AM #13
(08-21-2013, 02:42 AM)Ksteen2 I know I would'nt care, but what does the police and shit say about that mounting in the front?

Each state is entirely different with regards motor vehicle safety and emissions compliance. Most states though, the older the car, the more of a blind eye is turned. Sounds like Indiana not a problem, You'd probably get a suspicious look in Rhode Island while they were ticketing you for speeding, and you would certainly be shot on sight in New York.

Though the New York cops pull their pistols for stickers in the window, so he might get off with just a severe beating

1983 240D 616 stock, DD

JB3
08-21-2013, 07:57 AM #13

(08-21-2013, 02:42 AM)Ksteen2 I know I would'nt care, but what does the police and shit say about that mounting in the front?

Each state is entirely different with regards motor vehicle safety and emissions compliance. Most states though, the older the car, the more of a blind eye is turned. Sounds like Indiana not a problem, You'd probably get a suspicious look in Rhode Island while they were ticketing you for speeding, and you would certainly be shot on sight in New York.

Though the New York cops pull their pistols for stickers in the window, so he might get off with just a severe beating

1983 240D 616 stock, DD

Simpler=Better
PORTED HEAD

08-21-2013, 08:26 AM #14
(08-20-2013, 04:03 PM)JB3 Im pretty sure you can drop the whole rear subframe as a unit and make both springs loose at the same time if you don't have a compressor for the individuals.

Spot on, you just unbolt the whole subframe and put it on jack stands. I added lift blocks in a parking lot (man was that a long night)

For the cut DVs you should get a spare set and play with them. If you have a pyrometer and watch your temps I don't see too much risk

Simpler=Better
08-21-2013, 08:26 AM #14

(08-20-2013, 04:03 PM)JB3 Im pretty sure you can drop the whole rear subframe as a unit and make both springs loose at the same time if you don't have a compressor for the individuals.

Spot on, you just unbolt the whole subframe and put it on jack stands. I added lift blocks in a parking lot (man was that a long night)

For the cut DVs you should get a spare set and play with them. If you have a pyrometer and watch your temps I don't see too much risk

DeliveryValve
Superturbo

08-21-2013, 10:44 AM #15
(08-20-2013, 03:45 PM)1911diesel ... as for the pump, well schied is known for building HI HP diesel engines, if they say they can build me a pump to do what i want i trust them. people come from hundreds of miles to have schied build their pumps injectors and engines. it may cost more but i bet i get a good pump done right. not saying that who ever you are suggesting isnt good at what they do. just i know schied knows their $h*t. ....

(08-21-2013, 07:37 AM)1911diesel ...... well im uber cheap, so until tax time and i have a stack or two to drop on a bigger pump i will make cut DVs work. ...

I was suggesting those excellent shops in California to give you options because I was thinking you might be uber cheap.... and well you said it yourself.Big Grin But always go with what you are comfortable with.

(08-21-2013, 08:26 AM)Simpler=Better

All you really have to do is remove the diff mount and the shocks while lowering it down with a jack. ( at the wrecking yards, I don't use a jack, just let it pop after removing the upper shock mount) You can than pry the springs out.
Then when you install the shorter springs, plop them in (it should be able to place them in without the use of prying) raise the control arm with a floor jack, and reinstall the shock. Do the other side and then raise the diff to install the diff mount.
Done!
This post was last modified: 08-21-2013, 10:55 AM by DeliveryValve.

DeliveryValve
08-21-2013, 10:44 AM #15

(08-20-2013, 03:45 PM)1911diesel ... as for the pump, well schied is known for building HI HP diesel engines, if they say they can build me a pump to do what i want i trust them. people come from hundreds of miles to have schied build their pumps injectors and engines. it may cost more but i bet i get a good pump done right. not saying that who ever you are suggesting isnt good at what they do. just i know schied knows their $h*t. ....

(08-21-2013, 07:37 AM)1911diesel ...... well im uber cheap, so until tax time and i have a stack or two to drop on a bigger pump i will make cut DVs work. ...

I was suggesting those excellent shops in California to give you options because I was thinking you might be uber cheap.... and well you said it yourself.Big Grin But always go with what you are comfortable with.

(08-21-2013, 08:26 AM)Simpler=Better

All you really have to do is remove the diff mount and the shocks while lowering it down with a jack. ( at the wrecking yards, I don't use a jack, just let it pop after removing the upper shock mount) You can than pry the springs out.
Then when you install the shorter springs, plop them in (it should be able to place them in without the use of prying) raise the control arm with a floor jack, and reinstall the shock. Do the other side and then raise the diff to install the diff mount.
Done!

MFSuper90
Budget Builder

08-21-2013, 04:18 PM #16
A lope really isn't good for an engine, but its really not bad either. People pay big bucks to make their truck sound like they are "loping" because all pulling trucks or tractors with giant pumps lope. A lope is combination between a big cam in the pump, big cam in the engine, and big injection lines.

It sounds cool, but its a pain for a daily driver.

And as far as DV's go, I would just make sure each one is super close to one another, like .001" at least. I could be wrong, but I would think it would mess up calibration of each cylinder. (make fueling to each cylinder different.)

MFSuper90
08-21-2013, 04:18 PM #16

A lope really isn't good for an engine, but its really not bad either. People pay big bucks to make their truck sound like they are "loping" because all pulling trucks or tractors with giant pumps lope. A lope is combination between a big cam in the pump, big cam in the engine, and big injection lines.

And as far as DV's go, I would just make sure each one is super close to one another, like .001" at least. I could be wrong, but I would think it would mess up calibration of each cylinder. (make fueling to each cylinder different.)

1911diesel
GT2256V

08-21-2013, 04:33 PM #17
well the guy i have doing the work is used to working in the half thou .0005 and i stressed how important it was that they were as close to the same as humanly possible. its basically a hi precision hi pressure fuel measuring and delivery device. he rebuilds hi precision hi flow roots blowers built for all kinds of applications. i have every faith in the man that he can preform the task at hand. I think it will be more on my end if it works out like i hope or not...

oh and not real worried about a daily, that is what the truck is for. the car has become all about fun. i have had a thing against hondas since high school (the fast and frustrated came out) and the honda boom got big, real big around here. gag.... ever since i have looked for obscure cars to have fun with.
This post was last modified: 08-21-2013, 04:46 PM by 1911diesel.

1911diesel
08-21-2013, 04:33 PM #17

well the guy i have doing the work is used to working in the half thou .0005 and i stressed how important it was that they were as close to the same as humanly possible. its basically a hi precision hi pressure fuel measuring and delivery device. he rebuilds hi precision hi flow roots blowers built for all kinds of applications. i have every faith in the man that he can preform the task at hand. I think it will be more on my end if it works out like i hope or not...

oh and not real worried about a daily, that is what the truck is for. the car has become all about fun. i have had a thing against hondas since high school (the fast and frustrated came out) and the honda boom got big, real big around here. gag.... ever since i have looked for obscure cars to have fun with.

Ksteen2
Holset

08-22-2013, 02:56 AM #18
then, the new york cops without guns are the cops i norway, you know, here you can drive 50cc "motor bikes" from you are 16, and we use too tune them back in the day, but now, you almost get court order for tuning, and they go 45 km/h original, thats desturbingly slow :o
little off topic Smile

you car looks cool tho, unusual look :p
but cool Wink
This post was last modified: 08-22-2013, 02:57 AM by Ksteen2.

1#
Volvo 940 estate 1995
Originaly a d24tic
6speed cdi box
4,5" humongus cooler
Ksteen2
08-22-2013, 02:56 AM #18

then, the new york cops without guns are the cops i norway, you know, here you can drive 50cc "motor bikes" from you are 16, and we use too tune them back in the day, but now, you almost get court order for tuning, and they go 45 km/h original, thats desturbingly slow :o
little off topic Smile

but cool Wink

1#
Volvo 940 estate 1995
Originaly a d24tic
6speed cdi box
4,5" humongus cooler

Simpler=Better
PORTED HEAD

08-22-2013, 08:45 AM #19
1911diesel well the guy i have doing the work is used to working in the half thou .0005 and i stressed how important it was that they were as close to the same as humanly possible. its basically a hi precision hi pressure fuel measuring and delivery device. he rebuilds hi precision hi flow roots blowers built for all kinds of applications. i have every faith in the man that he can preform the task at hand. I think it will be more on my end if it works out like i hope or not...

If we cna hold 0.0005" on a craptastic abused old lathe you guys should be able to hold .0002" on a decend machine. It's more important that they're all the same-it will definitely effect balancing. If his tooling is having trouble with accuracy I'd suggestrunning some 1000# abrasive paper on flat bar to take the last little bit off.

(08-22-2013, 02:56 AM)Ksteen2 then, the new york cops without guns are the cops i norway, you know, here you can drive 50cc "motor bikes" from you are 16, and we use too tune them back in the day, but now, you almost get court order for tuning, and they go 45 km/h original, thats desturbingly slow :o
little off topic Smile

but cool Wink

'MURICA RANT:
As long as you keep a muffler on the car, and don't do anything blantantly stupid, you can get away with pretty much anything vehicle wise around here. Until about 6 months ago, 50cc scooters DID NOT require registration, helmets, or insurance in Baltimore. It was awesome, like the damn wild west. Full motorcycles can get away with anything in MD, there is a no chase rule-so if the bike is going 90 in a 55 the cops turn on their lights but aren't allowed to chase. A buddy of mine was (supposedly) doing 140 in a 55, and actually stopped. The cop was so surprised he let him off with a warning. People also expect a bike to be loud, so straight pipes are fairly common on both 2cyl cruisers and 4cyl literbikes.

Simpler=Better
08-22-2013, 08:45 AM #19

1911diesel well the guy i have doing the work is used to working in the half thou .0005 and i stressed how important it was that they were as close to the same as humanly possible. its basically a hi precision hi pressure fuel measuring and delivery device. he rebuilds hi precision hi flow roots blowers built for all kinds of applications. i have every faith in the man that he can preform the task at hand. I think it will be more on my end if it works out like i hope or not...

If we cna hold 0.0005" on a craptastic abused old lathe you guys should be able to hold .0002" on a decend machine. It's more important that they're all the same-it will definitely effect balancing. If his tooling is having trouble with accuracy I'd suggestrunning some 1000# abrasive paper on flat bar to take the last little bit off.

(08-22-2013, 02:56 AM)Ksteen2 then, the new york cops without guns are the cops i norway, you know, here you can drive 50cc "motor bikes" from you are 16, and we use too tune them back in the day, but now, you almost get court order for tuning, and they go 45 km/h original, thats desturbingly slow :o
little off topic Smile

but cool Wink

'MURICA RANT:
As long as you keep a muffler on the car, and don't do anything blantantly stupid, you can get away with pretty much anything vehicle wise around here. Until about 6 months ago, 50cc scooters DID NOT require registration, helmets, or insurance in Baltimore. It was awesome, like the damn wild west. Full motorcycles can get away with anything in MD, there is a no chase rule-so if the bike is going 90 in a 55 the cops turn on their lights but aren't allowed to chase. A buddy of mine was (supposedly) doing 140 in a 55, and actually stopped. The cop was so surprised he let him off with a warning. People also expect a bike to be loud, so straight pipes are fairly common on both 2cyl cruisers and 4cyl literbikes.

1911diesel
GT2256V

08-22-2013, 12:44 PM #20
i honestly think he could keep it within .0002 as well he has been machining for 30+ years. the only problem i see is i didnt keep their barrels matched. uh oh. but i think i have a way to fix that anyways. seeing as how there will be .008 of virgin steel at the bottom of the valve barrel that will never have had steel to it and the collars will have virgin steel as well i think im going to have him lap the valves into the barrels to "match" them to the new barrels. maybe even hit the out side of the barrels with some emery cloth. they were sitting in an old injection pump and they have some rust spots.i hope lapping the valves in to the barrels will create a good seal and i wont have to worry about fuel seeping by and causing off time injections.

1911diesel
08-22-2013, 12:44 PM #20

i honestly think he could keep it within .0002 as well he has been machining for 30+ years. the only problem i see is i didnt keep their barrels matched. uh oh. but i think i have a way to fix that anyways. seeing as how there will be .008 of virgin steel at the bottom of the valve barrel that will never have had steel to it and the collars will have virgin steel as well i think im going to have him lap the valves into the barrels to "match" them to the new barrels. maybe even hit the out side of the barrels with some emery cloth. they were sitting in an old injection pump and they have some rust spots.i hope lapping the valves in to the barrels will create a good seal and i wont have to worry about fuel seeping by and causing off time injections.

Simpler=Better
PORTED HEAD

08-22-2013, 01:12 PM #21
(08-22-2013, 12:44 PM)1911diesel i honestly think he could keep it within .0002 as well he has been machining for 30+ years. the only problem i see is i didnt keep their barrels matched. uh oh. but i think i have a way to fix that anyways. seeing as how there will be .008 of virgin steel at the bottom of the valve barrel that will never have had steel to it and the collars will have virgin steel as well i think im going to have him lap the valves into the barrels to "match" them to the new barrels. maybe even hit the out side of the barrels with some emery cloth. they were sitting in an old injection pump and they have some rust spots.i hope lapping the valves in to the barrels will create a good seal and i wont have to worry about fuel seeping by and causing off time injections.

Bosch sure as hell didn't match them when they assembled the pump. Grab one fomr the bin, and put it in the pump.
Just clean them up with some mild scotchbrite and keep them oiled.

Simpler=Better
08-22-2013, 01:12 PM #21

(08-22-2013, 12:44 PM)1911diesel i honestly think he could keep it within .0002 as well he has been machining for 30+ years. the only problem i see is i didnt keep their barrels matched. uh oh. but i think i have a way to fix that anyways. seeing as how there will be .008 of virgin steel at the bottom of the valve barrel that will never have had steel to it and the collars will have virgin steel as well i think im going to have him lap the valves into the barrels to "match" them to the new barrels. maybe even hit the out side of the barrels with some emery cloth. they were sitting in an old injection pump and they have some rust spots.i hope lapping the valves in to the barrels will create a good seal and i wont have to worry about fuel seeping by and causing off time injections.

Bosch sure as hell didn't match them when they assembled the pump. Grab one fomr the bin, and put it in the pump.

1911diesel
GT2256V

08-22-2013, 01:21 PM #22
[/quote]

are you sure? i thought they should be kept together? i coulda swore i just read that somewhere yesterday, scared the piss outta me too and made me glad i hadnt pulled the ones out of the running car yet!lol... anyways maybe it will help, maybe not. i dont think it can hurt. just lapping compound and spinning them in the barrels with light pressure to seat them. they are i think he said 62 on the brinell hardness tester so i dont think it will take any material away.

(08-22-2013, 08:45 AM)Simpler=Better 'MURICA RANT:

well the muffler thing, a turbo is considered a muffler around here. and there is no law in indiana saying you have to have the exhaust exiting behind the passenger cabin of the vehicle. the bumpers... well i will just say the intercooler mounting setup is the new bumper, its made out of angle iron... and ill go all mini trucker on the rear end and have a roll pan cut and put it on the back and tell the cop its under the roll pan and goes from "rail mount" to "rail mount" and he just cant see it because i welded the roll pan on... lol but as i said before, cops around here have bigger fish to fry then a bumper less fender dumped exhaust old a$$ benz.
This post was last modified: 08-22-2013, 01:34 PM by 1911diesel.

1911diesel
08-22-2013, 01:21 PM #22

[/quote]

are you sure? i thought they should be kept together? i coulda swore i just read that somewhere yesterday, scared the piss outta me too and made me glad i hadnt pulled the ones out of the running car yet!lol... anyways maybe it will help, maybe not. i dont think it can hurt. just lapping compound and spinning them in the barrels with light pressure to seat them. they are i think he said 62 on the brinell hardness tester so i dont think it will take any material away.

(08-22-2013, 08:45 AM)Simpler=Better 'MURICA RANT:

well the muffler thing, a turbo is considered a muffler around here. and there is no law in indiana saying you have to have the exhaust exiting behind the passenger cabin of the vehicle. the bumpers... well i will just say the intercooler mounting setup is the new bumper, its made out of angle iron... and ill go all mini trucker on the rear end and have a roll pan cut and put it on the back and tell the cop its under the roll pan and goes from "rail mount" to "rail mount" and he just cant see it because i welded the roll pan on... lol but as i said before, cops around here have bigger fish to fry then a bumper less fender dumped exhaust old a$$ benz.

1911diesel
GT2256V

08-22-2013, 05:33 PM #23
well i got the cut DVs back! i slapped them in, and guess what! after i blew the air out it idled great! no problems! not much on the butt dyno but they have no problems!

here is a vid of the car running with the cut DVs and some black smoke. i didnt have any black smoke during driving, just during free rev. ill get to play with the car some more tomorrow but today i have to catch a nap and work tonight.

[Image: th_VIDEO0030_zps37ba4c1a.jpg]

here is one with more idle. i tried to get some pics of the DVs before i put them in... but i used the wrong setting on the camera and the wrong lense and they didnt turn out real great... like not worth posting bad...so here is some idle and my gf about to get ran over cause she is standing in the middle of the road.
just click the img and it will take you to photobucket to watch the vid.

[Image: th_VIDEO0029_zpse091650b.jpg]

Edit: i was kinda hoping for a lope idle... oh well i guess i should be glad it went as smooth as it did...lol 15mins lines off ends off swapped valves with stock barrels replaced n torqued ends and lines bled air started right up and idled! god its nice when things go right!
This post was last modified: 08-22-2013, 06:12 PM by 1911diesel.

1911diesel
08-22-2013, 05:33 PM #23

well i got the cut DVs back! i slapped them in, and guess what! after i blew the air out it idled great! no problems! not much on the butt dyno but they have no problems!

here is a vid of the car running with the cut DVs and some black smoke. i didnt have any black smoke during driving, just during free rev. ill get to play with the car some more tomorrow but today i have to catch a nap and work tonight.

[Image: th_VIDEO0030_zps37ba4c1a.jpg]

here is one with more idle. i tried to get some pics of the DVs before i put them in... but i used the wrong setting on the camera and the wrong lense and they didnt turn out real great... like not worth posting bad...so here is some idle and my gf about to get ran over cause she is standing in the middle of the road.
just click the img and it will take you to photobucket to watch the vid.

[Image: th_VIDEO0029_zpse091650b.jpg]

Edit: i was kinda hoping for a lope idle... oh well i guess i should be glad it went as smooth as it did...lol 15mins lines off ends off swapped valves with stock barrels replaced n torqued ends and lines bled air started right up and idled! god its nice when things go right!

Simpler=Better
PORTED HEAD

08-22-2013, 07:23 PM #24
Glad to hear you got good results Smile

What depth did you cut to?

Simpler=Better
08-22-2013, 07:23 PM #24

Glad to hear you got good results Smile

What depth did you cut to?

1911diesel
GT2256V

08-22-2013, 07:32 PM #25
he removed .008 from the collar going from bottom to top. he also told me if he never sees them again it will be too soon...lol but he gave me the jig he used to chuck them in the lathe. he said he gave me the tool he made to cut them as well but i dont see it... maybe he left it at work and thought he put it in the bag.

1911diesel
08-22-2013, 07:32 PM #25

he removed .008 from the collar going from bottom to top. he also told me if he never sees them again it will be too soon...lol but he gave me the jig he used to chuck them in the lathe. he said he gave me the tool he made to cut them as well but i dont see it... maybe he left it at work and thought he put it in the bag.

DeliveryValve
Superturbo

08-22-2013, 10:08 PM #26
Great job. Sounds pretty good. Looking forward to hearing about the driving characteristics.

DeliveryValve
08-22-2013, 10:08 PM #26

Great job. Sounds pretty good. Looking forward to hearing about the driving characteristics.

MFSuper90
Budget Builder

08-22-2013, 11:18 PM #27
I am also wondering about how the performance end of it went for driving. I can't see why It wouldn't help! Smile

MFSuper90
08-22-2013, 11:18 PM #27

I am also wondering about how the performance end of it went for driving. I can't see why It wouldn't help! Smile

1911diesel
GT2256V

08-23-2013, 03:35 AM #28
well driving is pretty much stock, the first test around the block to blow out the air in the lines didnt do it justice. i drove it to work tonight didnt get on it too hard on the way there but early morning on the way home... damn... it pulls harder thats for sure. ill try n get a vid of it pulling 0-60. still proly not enough to smoke a boosted B series swapped honda... but it might be with some more playing. I must say i am fairly impressed. may not be worth a couple hundred bucks if i had to pay another shop to do the work. but if i could get them cut for 100 bucks or less they may be worth dropping in the couple that we drive on a daily. idle was a little shaky in gear with the break depressed. but not much. not enough to bother me. it almost sounds like its pulsing at cruse around 30. no feeling of pulsing just a faint sound maybe turbo pulse. i dunno ill have to do some more driving with them to find out. i know it will bark the tire just mashing the go peddle from a stop. and before it didnt wanna break the rear tire loose with out letting up off the break some, now once it gets to about 2k and the turbo kicks in the back tire breaks loose instantly. long story short, they were worth every penny i have in them...lol

1911diesel
08-23-2013, 03:35 AM #28

well driving is pretty much stock, the first test around the block to blow out the air in the lines didnt do it justice. i drove it to work tonight didnt get on it too hard on the way there but early morning on the way home... damn... it pulls harder thats for sure. ill try n get a vid of it pulling 0-60. still proly not enough to smoke a boosted B series swapped honda... but it might be with some more playing. I must say i am fairly impressed. may not be worth a couple hundred bucks if i had to pay another shop to do the work. but if i could get them cut for 100 bucks or less they may be worth dropping in the couple that we drive on a daily. idle was a little shaky in gear with the break depressed. but not much. not enough to bother me. it almost sounds like its pulsing at cruse around 30. no feeling of pulsing just a faint sound maybe turbo pulse. i dunno ill have to do some more driving with them to find out. i know it will bark the tire just mashing the go peddle from a stop. and before it didnt wanna break the rear tire loose with out letting up off the break some, now once it gets to about 2k and the turbo kicks in the back tire breaks loose instantly. long story short, they were worth every penny i have in them...lol

Ksteen2
Holset

08-23-2013, 04:44 AM #29
how big elements have you got put in?
and what turbo?

1#
Volvo 940 estate 1995
Originaly a d24tic
6speed cdi box
4,5" humongus cooler
Ksteen2
08-23-2013, 04:44 AM #29

how big elements have you got put in?
and what turbo?

1#
Volvo 940 estate 1995
Originaly a d24tic
6speed cdi box
4,5" humongus cooler

MFSuper90
Budget Builder

08-23-2013, 09:07 AM #30
Hmmm. Maybe my extra pump needs to be molested...
Does anyone know if N/A delivery valves are the same?

MFSuper90
08-23-2013, 09:07 AM #30

Hmmm. Maybe my extra pump needs to be molested...
Does anyone know if N/A delivery valves are the same?

1911diesel
GT2256V

08-23-2013, 09:46 AM #31
all stock, just cut DVs. i just wanted to see what cut DVs would to on a completely stock car.

1911diesel
08-23-2013, 09:46 AM #31

all stock, just cut DVs. i just wanted to see what cut DVs would to on a completely stock car.

1911diesel
GT2256V

08-23-2013, 02:09 PM #32
man, i really, reeeeaaaaallllllyyyyyy wish i could get my machinist buddy to cut some more of these DVs. i would have him cut the other two stock sets i have so i could send them off to a couple of you guys for stock cores so you could try them and see what you think. but he wont touch another set. i have another buddy who is a machinist but he hasnt been doing it as long as Mark i guess all he can do is try. and the damn shake at idle is air in the damn lines again... the fuel lines going from the lift pump to the filter and the filter to the IP have been replaced 10 times now with every different kind and size of line i can find, hell i even used line inside line so i could clamp the out side hose with out cutting the hose thats holding pressure... and it still leaks after a day... it always stops for a day or two then it leaks after i get on it for a while. im tired of leaking diesel and chasing vacuum leaks... i just want the b*tch to shift without flaring, and stop wasting fuel... unless its in the form of black smoke... i will take some advice on what you guys think for fuel lines but if i cant get it to stop leaking soon, ill delete the IP mounted lift pump buy an electric fuel pump, new fuel filter setup and see if i cant get the b*tch to stop some other way... besides i think i read some where the stock lift pump doesnt have much pressure anyways what 10 psi or something anemic. i wonder if more fuel pressure pre IP would help as well.
This post was last modified: 08-23-2013, 02:27 PM by 1911diesel.

1911diesel
08-23-2013, 02:09 PM #32

man, i really, reeeeaaaaallllllyyyyyy wish i could get my machinist buddy to cut some more of these DVs. i would have him cut the other two stock sets i have so i could send them off to a couple of you guys for stock cores so you could try them and see what you think. but he wont touch another set. i have another buddy who is a machinist but he hasnt been doing it as long as Mark i guess all he can do is try. and the damn shake at idle is air in the damn lines again... the fuel lines going from the lift pump to the filter and the filter to the IP have been replaced 10 times now with every different kind and size of line i can find, hell i even used line inside line so i could clamp the out side hose with out cutting the hose thats holding pressure... and it still leaks after a day... it always stops for a day or two then it leaks after i get on it for a while. im tired of leaking diesel and chasing vacuum leaks... i just want the b*tch to shift without flaring, and stop wasting fuel... unless its in the form of black smoke... i will take some advice on what you guys think for fuel lines but if i cant get it to stop leaking soon, ill delete the IP mounted lift pump buy an electric fuel pump, new fuel filter setup and see if i cant get the b*tch to stop some other way... besides i think i read some where the stock lift pump doesnt have much pressure anyways what 10 psi or something anemic. i wonder if more fuel pressure pre IP would help as well.

lgreeley83
Mr. Rumbles

08-23-2013, 09:23 PM #33
(08-23-2013, 02:09 PM)1911diesel i just want the b*tch to shift without flaring

Manual trans Tongue

lgreeley83
08-23-2013, 09:23 PM #33

Manual trans Tongue

1911diesel
GT2256V

08-24-2013, 05:16 AM #34
(08-23-2013, 09:23 PM)lgreeley83

Manual trans Tongue

you got one laying around for sale? or is there one close for sale? i been looking for a while and no dice. the first diesel benz we bought was a 4 cylinder 4spd and i have kicked myself for getting rid of it ever since.

1911diesel
08-24-2013, 05:16 AM #34

(08-23-2013, 09:23 PM)lgreeley83

Manual trans Tongue

you got one laying around for sale? or is there one close for sale? i been looking for a while and no dice. the first diesel benz we bought was a 4 cylinder 4spd and i have kicked myself for getting rid of it ever since.

lgreeley83
Mr. Rumbles

08-24-2013, 01:05 PM #35
No extra trans for sale. I know someone has one I forget who. I bought an extra about to months ago. Had more than one person reply having one for sale. Put a want to buy out there.

lgreeley83
08-24-2013, 01:05 PM #35

No extra trans for sale. I know someone has one I forget who. I bought an extra about to months ago. Had more than one person reply having one for sale. Put a want to buy out there.

1911diesel
GT2256V

08-24-2013, 01:54 PM #36
actually, i started looking after i said something about not being able to find one, and found a 75 240d 4spd i am looking at buying as of now! i will have the 3.69s i want and the 4spd and all the stuff for the swap! i hope i get it.
This post was last modified: 08-24-2013, 01:57 PM by 1911diesel.

1911diesel
08-24-2013, 01:54 PM #36

actually, i started looking after i said something about not being able to find one, and found a 75 240d 4spd i am looking at buying as of now! i will have the 3.69s i want and the 4spd and all the stuff for the swap! i hope i get it.

1911diesel
GT2256V

08-25-2013, 04:43 PM #37
well cheap boost gauge, slime gauge. dunno where its gonna go permanent but its hooked up. i cant seem to get more then 10 psi with the mbc but with the wastgate unhooked its almost 20... dont do that anymore...lol not til i got an egt gauge anyways. ill be hooking that up as soon as i get the turbo off the other car. ill do manifold and turbo swap. tap and wrap the manifold with the probe. egr delete, wrap the turbo, and dump exhaust out of the fender with wrap... oh part of my fuel leak is fixed new o rings on the banjo bolt for the fuel filter. i kept trying to find the darn crush washer... but i guess its new style.. fuel lines from lift pump to filter still weep... but the line from filter to ip is good...i will figure this out. if not... i been looking into what cummins guys do. i guess 10-12 psi is good for even a cummins ip so if i do go electric fuel pump it wont take much. i kinda like the idea of an electric fuel pump anyways, no priming, and can be ran to a switch so if a run away occurs i can cut fuel off manually. well if i could just get the darn exhaust apart from the turbo on the teal SD i would be clocking the turbo and pulling the turbo off the coupe and finishing the intercooler set up. but alas it is still being a pain in my a$$... oh well break over back to work on something...

1911diesel
08-25-2013, 04:43 PM #37

well cheap boost gauge, slime gauge. dunno where its gonna go permanent but its hooked up. i cant seem to get more then 10 psi with the mbc but with the wastgate unhooked its almost 20... dont do that anymore...lol not til i got an egt gauge anyways. ill be hooking that up as soon as i get the turbo off the other car. ill do manifold and turbo swap. tap and wrap the manifold with the probe. egr delete, wrap the turbo, and dump exhaust out of the fender with wrap... oh part of my fuel leak is fixed new o rings on the banjo bolt for the fuel filter. i kept trying to find the darn crush washer... but i guess its new style.. fuel lines from lift pump to filter still weep... but the line from filter to ip is good...i will figure this out. if not... i been looking into what cummins guys do. i guess 10-12 psi is good for even a cummins ip so if i do go electric fuel pump it wont take much. i kinda like the idea of an electric fuel pump anyways, no priming, and can be ran to a switch so if a run away occurs i can cut fuel off manually. well if i could just get the darn exhaust apart from the turbo on the teal SD i would be clocking the turbo and pulling the turbo off the coupe and finishing the intercooler set up. but alas it is still being a pain in my a$$... oh well break over back to work on something...

Simpler=Better
PORTED HEAD

08-25-2013, 06:11 PM #38
The "dream" fuel pump if from an F350, I don't know which model. I think forced ran one.

People have also had luck with the cheap inline 30psi pumps, just make sure there'a filter before the pump or you'll kill it.

Glad to hear of another cheapass boost gauge user Smile

Simpler=Better
08-25-2013, 06:11 PM #38

The "dream" fuel pump if from an F350, I don't know which model. I think forced ran one.

People have also had luck with the cheap inline 30psi pumps, just make sure there'a filter before the pump or you'll kill it.

Glad to hear of another cheapass boost gauge user Smile

1911diesel
GT2256V

08-25-2013, 07:05 PM #39
thanks do i need a block off plate for an electric fuel pump? or can i just run a line back to the lift pump itself? and thanks for the tip on the cheap a$$ boost gauge it works. makes me want a real one but this one is better then nothing and i have 10 bucks in it. oh and finally got the other turbo off, only to find it has way too much shaft play... oh well ill just use the non arv housing.ill order some intercooler boots this week along with an egt gauge/probe some oil filter gaskets for playing with the pump, and some fuel line. any one know the part # on PP for the fuel line that runs to the fuel filter from the lift pump?
This post was last modified: 08-25-2013, 07:06 PM by 1911diesel.

1911diesel
08-25-2013, 07:05 PM #39

thanks do i need a block off plate for an electric fuel pump? or can i just run a line back to the lift pump itself? and thanks for the tip on the cheap a$$ boost gauge it works. makes me want a real one but this one is better then nothing and i have 10 bucks in it. oh and finally got the other turbo off, only to find it has way too much shaft play... oh well ill just use the non arv housing.ill order some intercooler boots this week along with an egt gauge/probe some oil filter gaskets for playing with the pump, and some fuel line. any one know the part # on PP for the fuel line that runs to the fuel filter from the lift pump?

Simpler=Better
PORTED HEAD

08-25-2013, 09:04 PM #40
First check the return fuel spring, it should be something like 22mm long or 27mm long-search for the spec that helps with fuel pressure issues.

Just use home depot nylon line, or regular fuel line for any of the connections. You can remove the old clear lines by heating them with a bic then pulling. DO NOT cut them, you will nick the banjo bolt and make a new leak.

Crush washers can be re-tempered with a small butane torch (or a propane torch). Or you can get an assorted box of copper crush washers from harbor freight and a "stepless" drill bit to make your own on the cheap. They're not that expensive from Mercedes/PP to begin with though.

For the electric pump you can plumb it through the lift pump or bypass it entirely with a blockoff plate, your preference.

Simpler=Better
08-25-2013, 09:04 PM #40

First check the return fuel spring, it should be something like 22mm long or 27mm long-search for the spec that helps with fuel pressure issues.

Just use home depot nylon line, or regular fuel line for any of the connections. You can remove the old clear lines by heating them with a bic then pulling. DO NOT cut them, you will nick the banjo bolt and make a new leak.

Crush washers can be re-tempered with a small butane torch (or a propane torch). Or you can get an assorted box of copper crush washers from harbor freight and a "stepless" drill bit to make your own on the cheap. They're not that expensive from Mercedes/PP to begin with though.

For the electric pump you can plumb it through the lift pump or bypass it entirely with a blockoff plate, your preference.

1911diesel
GT2256V

08-26-2013, 04:11 AM #41
(08-25-2013, 09:04 PM)Simpler=Better First check the return fuel spring, it should be something like 22mm long or 27mm long-search for the spec that helps with fuel pressure issues.

hummm dont cut them...well now i know why they are leaking...lol i didnt think those big cut lines were helping any. so i guess i need to replace the banjo fitting comming off the filter and the fitting comming off the lift pump, and see if that takes care of my problem thanks buddy!

1911diesel
08-26-2013, 04:11 AM #41

(08-25-2013, 09:04 PM)Simpler=Better First check the return fuel spring, it should be something like 22mm long or 27mm long-search for the spec that helps with fuel pressure issues.

hummm dont cut them...well now i know why they are leaking...lol i didnt think those big cut lines were helping any. so i guess i need to replace the banjo fitting comming off the filter and the fitting comming off the lift pump, and see if that takes care of my problem thanks buddy!

larsalan
Superturbo

08-26-2013, 05:31 AM #42
If you'e fucking around with all that spin on filter anyway you might look at a more in depth upgrade.
There's a thread on how to modify an oem filter housing to accept a bigger/cheaper filter from baldwin.
I've run some shady fuel and I can say that the upgrade has helped my fuel flow situation.

http://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/thread-176.html

Rusted out beat down 300d turbo 82' -- RIP
Nice body, tons of ridiculous mechanical issues - 300d turbo 82' /motor 85'
larsalan
08-26-2013, 05:31 AM #42

If you'e fucking around with all that spin on filter anyway you might look at a more in depth upgrade.
There's a thread on how to modify an oem filter housing to accept a bigger/cheaper filter from baldwin.
I've run some shady fuel and I can say that the upgrade has helped my fuel flow situation.

http://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/thread-176.html

Rusted out beat down 300d turbo 82' -- RIP
Nice body, tons of ridiculous mechanical issues - 300d turbo 82' /motor 85'

MFSuper90
Budget Builder

08-26-2013, 02:39 PM #43
Stretching the fuel return spring definitely helped my car, for sure. I'd recommend it to even people not looking for pure performance

MFSuper90
08-26-2013, 02:39 PM #43

Stretching the fuel return spring definitely helped my car, for sure. I'd recommend it to even people not looking for pure performance

1911diesel
GT2256V

08-26-2013, 04:53 PM #44
well i think i found another leaking line... the rubber lines on the bottom of the tank look to be leaking as well... i get my truck back tonight, ill leave the coupe down put it under the knife for a while. need to replace some fuel lines change the compressor housing finish the intercooler play with the pump finish the exhaust change the breaks. but ill start on that tomorrow. im wore smooth the f*ck out today...

1911diesel
08-26-2013, 04:53 PM #44

well i think i found another leaking line... the rubber lines on the bottom of the tank look to be leaking as well... i get my truck back tonight, ill leave the coupe down put it under the knife for a while. need to replace some fuel lines change the compressor housing finish the intercooler play with the pump finish the exhaust change the breaks. but ill start on that tomorrow. im wore smooth the f*ck out today...

mbz123
GT2256V

09-03-2013, 08:53 AM #45
(08-20-2013, 11:52 AM)Simpler=Better You're not going to get flamed here, we like to blow shit up.

x2 I see where this is goin lol

(08-20-2013, 12:25 PM)JB3 LOL, I just got off the phone with the classic center, and they are pissed that your 300CD has a painted on star on a non stock component, and wanted me to check to see if you altered the tire size or installed anything other than a factory radio.

I thought he had yanked the star from one of those velveeter grilles. BUT the painted three-pointer is BOSS kiddo. Nice touch. Leave it n go pay frequent visits to the classic center(just drive-bys for now tho)

(08-20-2013, 03:45 PM)1911diesel hummm well its all black, ill post a pic later

First time doing this heh? You in Jersey or you take that pic right after spraying it? massage that badboy with some 1200 wet. Chuy specials out here in the dry and sunny come out pretty decent. Even earl scheib cant beat a 20buck paint job. My Ferd's sportin a sweeeet dark grey motif

(08-20-2013, 03:45 PM)1911diesel i would really like to have it slammed before this weekend, but i couldnt figure out how to get the rear springs out with a spring compressor... there isnt enough room to get it in there to compress the dang spring! some help please???

Use seat belts with hd bolts/washers in a cross pattern if the noise scares you. Works great for fronts, but u really don't need anything for the rears besides jacks at rear jack pts. Then raise/lower subframe with floor jack.

Wow I thought we had it bad in Kommiefornia. Some states you might get a raised brow for no bumpers, fixit ticket at worst.

(08-21-2013, 07:18 AM)MFSuper90 He's from the US, we don't give a sh*t! Big Grin

x2 word

(08-21-2013, 07:37 AM)1911diesel i think i could live with a lope, and if i had to, i could always make some poly engine mounts if it caused undue stress on engine mounts...i guess ill see when i get them back. someone also mentioned playing with the timing and pop pressure to correct some of the problems he was having. well im uber cheap, so until tax time and i have a stack or two to drop on a bigger pump i will make cut DVs work.

Now you see were this is going right? If someone said you were holding a perfectly sealed can of worms would you toss it in the trunk or whip out your knife? <---rhetorical

(08-21-2013, 07:37 AM)1911diesel i will make cut DVs work.

Precision has been mentioned ad nasueam already. The closer you get to perfectly matching each dv the less strife you'll deal with post facto. Think weighing/balancing components of the reciprocating mass in a v engine. Rotating mass/HP fluid transfer...different but similar ;-D

(08-21-2013, 04:18 PM)MFSuper90 A lope really isn't good for an engine, but its really not bad either. People pay big bucks to make their truck sound like they are "loping" because all pulling trucks or tractors with giant pumps lope. A lope is combination between a big cam in the pump, big cam in the engine, and big injection lines.

x2

What was that DM song? "Get the balance riiiiiiight" Calibration is already borged. Alright, adjusted. It's balance that's crucial. Not sure what the draw to "lope" is, then again i don't get the coffee can exhaust tip either. Not a purist just the OCD in me. Errant noises kill me! Easier ways to cheap power gains exist. If you choose this as your start point tho you better focus on precise machining.

Also, understand those tractors run wide open, top of the band for short durations of time and are built for that. Loping is by design. If thats what you want out of your one-time luxury passenger vehicle, by all means go for it. Not trying to dissuade anyone, only point out the colossal pile of grief youre heading into. Besides, lope is easy to ignore. Ever driven a Y-block? hahaha

(08-22-2013, 08:45 AM)Simpler=Better

x3 or is it 4?

(08-25-2013, 04:43 PM)1911diesel well cheap boost gauge, slime gauge. dunno where its gonna go permanent but its hooked up. i cant seem to get more then 10 psi with the mbc but with the wastgate unhooked its almost 20... dont do that anymore...lol not til i got an egt gauge anyways. ill be hooking that up as soon as i get the turbo off the other car. ill do manifold and turbo swap. tap and wrap the manifold with the probe. egr delete, wrap the turbo, and dump exhaust out of the fender with wrap... oh part of my fuel leak is fixed new o rings on the banjo bolt for the fuel filter. i kept trying to find the darn crush washer... but i guess its new style.. fuel lines from lift pump to filter still weep... but the line from filter to ip is good...i will figure this out. if not... i been looking into what cummins guys do. i guess 10-12 psi is good for even a cummins ip so if i do go electric fuel pump it wont take much. i kinda like the idea of an electric fuel pump anyways, no priming, and can be ran to a switch so if a run away occurs i can cut fuel off manually. well if i could just get the darn exhaust apart from the turbo on the teal SD i would be clocking the turbo and pulling the turbo off the coupe and finishing the intercooler set up. but alas it is still being a pain in my a$$... oh well break over back to work on something...

Your best starting point is a car performing to spec. Then mod away. Choose your path wisely. Good luck on your journey.

MBZ123

PS - 1911, cool tag. Hidden compartment, under the seat/dash or u lucky enough to live in a free state?
mbz123
09-03-2013, 08:53 AM #45

(08-20-2013, 11:52 AM)Simpler=Better You're not going to get flamed here, we like to blow shit up.

x2 I see where this is goin lol

(08-20-2013, 12:25 PM)JB3 LOL, I just got off the phone with the classic center, and they are pissed that your 300CD has a painted on star on a non stock component, and wanted me to check to see if you altered the tire size or installed anything other than a factory radio.

I thought he had yanked the star from one of those velveeter grilles. BUT the painted three-pointer is BOSS kiddo. Nice touch. Leave it n go pay frequent visits to the classic center(just drive-bys for now tho)

(08-20-2013, 03:45 PM)1911diesel hummm well its all black, ill post a pic later

First time doing this heh? You in Jersey or you take that pic right after spraying it? massage that badboy with some 1200 wet. Chuy specials out here in the dry and sunny come out pretty decent. Even earl scheib cant beat a 20buck paint job. My Ferd's sportin a sweeeet dark grey motif

(08-20-2013, 03:45 PM)1911diesel i would really like to have it slammed before this weekend, but i couldnt figure out how to get the rear springs out with a spring compressor... there isnt enough room to get it in there to compress the dang spring! some help please???

Use seat belts with hd bolts/washers in a cross pattern if the noise scares you. Works great for fronts, but u really don't need anything for the rears besides jacks at rear jack pts. Then raise/lower subframe with floor jack.

Wow I thought we had it bad in Kommiefornia. Some states you might get a raised brow for no bumpers, fixit ticket at worst.

(08-21-2013, 07:18 AM)MFSuper90 He's from the US, we don't give a sh*t! Big Grin

x2 word

(08-21-2013, 07:37 AM)1911diesel i think i could live with a lope, and if i had to, i could always make some poly engine mounts if it caused undue stress on engine mounts...i guess ill see when i get them back. someone also mentioned playing with the timing and pop pressure to correct some of the problems he was having. well im uber cheap, so until tax time and i have a stack or two to drop on a bigger pump i will make cut DVs work.

Now you see were this is going right? If someone said you were holding a perfectly sealed can of worms would you toss it in the trunk or whip out your knife? <---rhetorical

(08-21-2013, 07:37 AM)1911diesel i will make cut DVs work.

Precision has been mentioned ad nasueam already. The closer you get to perfectly matching each dv the less strife you'll deal with post facto. Think weighing/balancing components of the reciprocating mass in a v engine. Rotating mass/HP fluid transfer...different but similar ;-D

(08-21-2013, 04:18 PM)MFSuper90 A lope really isn't good for an engine, but its really not bad either. People pay big bucks to make their truck sound like they are "loping" because all pulling trucks or tractors with giant pumps lope. A lope is combination between a big cam in the pump, big cam in the engine, and big injection lines.

x2

What was that DM song? "Get the balance riiiiiiight" Calibration is already borged. Alright, adjusted. It's balance that's crucial. Not sure what the draw to "lope" is, then again i don't get the coffee can exhaust tip either. Not a purist just the OCD in me. Errant noises kill me! Easier ways to cheap power gains exist. If you choose this as your start point tho you better focus on precise machining.

Also, understand those tractors run wide open, top of the band for short durations of time and are built for that. Loping is by design. If thats what you want out of your one-time luxury passenger vehicle, by all means go for it. Not trying to dissuade anyone, only point out the colossal pile of grief youre heading into. Besides, lope is easy to ignore. Ever driven a Y-block? hahaha

(08-22-2013, 08:45 AM)Simpler=Better

x3 or is it 4?

(08-25-2013, 04:43 PM)1911diesel well cheap boost gauge, slime gauge. dunno where its gonna go permanent but its hooked up. i cant seem to get more then 10 psi with the mbc but with the wastgate unhooked its almost 20... dont do that anymore...lol not til i got an egt gauge anyways. ill be hooking that up as soon as i get the turbo off the other car. ill do manifold and turbo swap. tap and wrap the manifold with the probe. egr delete, wrap the turbo, and dump exhaust out of the fender with wrap... oh part of my fuel leak is fixed new o rings on the banjo bolt for the fuel filter. i kept trying to find the darn crush washer... but i guess its new style.. fuel lines from lift pump to filter still weep... but the line from filter to ip is good...i will figure this out. if not... i been looking into what cummins guys do. i guess 10-12 psi is good for even a cummins ip so if i do go electric fuel pump it wont take much. i kinda like the idea of an electric fuel pump anyways, no priming, and can be ran to a switch so if a run away occurs i can cut fuel off manually. well if i could just get the darn exhaust apart from the turbo on the teal SD i would be clocking the turbo and pulling the turbo off the coupe and finishing the intercooler set up. but alas it is still being a pain in my a$$... oh well break over back to work on something...

Your best starting point is a car performing to spec. Then mod away. Choose your path wisely. Good luck on your journey.

MBZ123

PS - 1911, cool tag. Hidden compartment, under the seat/dash or u lucky enough to live in a free state?

Simpler=Better
PORTED HEAD

09-03-2013, 09:43 AM #46
Side note-a loping engine is usually setup for high RPM power. The idle lope is a side effect because the engine's timing is tuned so much for the high side that it can barely stay alive down low. They let it lope at idle because running in a smooth rpm would cause it to overheat and would be louad as shit. No one likes a 3,500rpm idle Smile

Simpler=Better
09-03-2013, 09:43 AM #46

Side note-a loping engine is usually setup for high RPM power. The idle lope is a side effect because the engine's timing is tuned so much for the high side that it can barely stay alive down low. They let it lope at idle because running in a smooth rpm would cause it to overheat and would be louad as shit. No one likes a 3,500rpm idle Smile

1911diesel
GT2256V

09-05-2013, 07:11 PM #47
well i was just trying to make it different for the diesel after party... and it stood out. besides that, i have been waiting on some parts i ordered, gaskets, seals, tranny filter and gasket, shifter bushings, and some other things. hopefully they will be in tomorrow. even still i just ordered a pop tester it should be here in a couple weeks. and sunday... well sunday i have a trip north to pick up another coupe. hopefully. fingers crossed... its not running, but i hope that this one like the last few non running diesel benzs i have acquired were owned by "non diesel mechanics" and were fairly simple fixes. if that proves to be the case again, ill drive it daily and leave the other coupe under the knife. but its a 78 non turbo, i dont know how long it will stay with a n/a engine im already thinking about pulling the engine out of the sd and i dont even have the car home!
This post was last modified: 09-05-2013, 07:12 PM by 1911diesel.

1911diesel
09-05-2013, 07:11 PM #47

well i was just trying to make it different for the diesel after party... and it stood out. besides that, i have been waiting on some parts i ordered, gaskets, seals, tranny filter and gasket, shifter bushings, and some other things. hopefully they will be in tomorrow. even still i just ordered a pop tester it should be here in a couple weeks. and sunday... well sunday i have a trip north to pick up another coupe. hopefully. fingers crossed... its not running, but i hope that this one like the last few non running diesel benzs i have acquired were owned by "non diesel mechanics" and were fairly simple fixes. if that proves to be the case again, ill drive it daily and leave the other coupe under the knife. but its a 78 non turbo, i dont know how long it will stay with a n/a engine im already thinking about pulling the engine out of the sd and i dont even have the car home!

Simpler=Better
PORTED HEAD

09-06-2013, 08:31 AM #48
(09-05-2013, 07:11 PM)1911diesel well i was just trying to make it different for the diesel after party... and it stood out. besides that, i have been waiting on some parts i ordered, gaskets, seals, tranny filter and gasket, shifter bushings, and some other things. hopefully they will be in tomorrow. even still i just ordered a pop tester it should be here in a couple weeks. and sunday... well sunday i have a trip north to pick up another coupe. hopefully. fingers crossed... its not running, but i hope that this one like the last few non running diesel benzs i have acquired were owned by "non diesel mechanics" and were fairly simple fixes. if that proves to be the case again, ill drive it daily and leave the other coupe under the knife. but its a 78 non turbo, i dont know how long it will stay with a n/a engine im already thinking about pulling the engine out of the sd and i dont even have the car home!

sweet Smile.

I'd look it over, and tow it home. If you slap in a new battery and filters, then start it up before the sale the owner will want more Smile

Simpler=Better
09-06-2013, 08:31 AM #48

(09-05-2013, 07:11 PM)1911diesel well i was just trying to make it different for the diesel after party... and it stood out. besides that, i have been waiting on some parts i ordered, gaskets, seals, tranny filter and gasket, shifter bushings, and some other things. hopefully they will be in tomorrow. even still i just ordered a pop tester it should be here in a couple weeks. and sunday... well sunday i have a trip north to pick up another coupe. hopefully. fingers crossed... its not running, but i hope that this one like the last few non running diesel benzs i have acquired were owned by "non diesel mechanics" and were fairly simple fixes. if that proves to be the case again, ill drive it daily and leave the other coupe under the knife. but its a 78 non turbo, i dont know how long it will stay with a n/a engine im already thinking about pulling the engine out of the sd and i dont even have the car home!

sweet Smile.

I'd look it over, and tow it home. If you slap in a new battery and filters, then start it up before the sale the owner will want more Smile

1911diesel
GT2256V

09-06-2013, 03:20 PM #49
(09-06-2013, 08:31 AM)Simpler=Better

sweet Smile.

i know how that goes. i always wait til i get them home before i mess with them. i dont mind ratcheting them onto the trailer then driving them off when i get home after playing with them for a few... my parts came in today! yay! now to find time to work on it... lol oh and after more emails with the china company that does the big elements, they want 2.20USD pr nozzle and no minimum order on nozzles! so i guess ill be ordering elements and nozzles at the same time to save some cash on shipping.

1911diesel
09-06-2013, 03:20 PM #49

sweet Smile.

i know how that goes. i always wait til i get them home before i mess with them. i dont mind ratcheting them onto the trailer then driving them off when i get home after playing with them for a few... my parts came in today! yay! now to find time to work on it... lol oh and after more emails with the china company that does the big elements, they want 2.20USD pr nozzle and no minimum order on nozzles! so i guess ill be ordering elements and nozzles at the same time to save some cash on shipping.

Simpler=Better
PORTED HEAD

09-06-2013, 06:05 PM #50
(09-06-2013, 03:20 PM)1911diesel

sweet Smile.

Sweeet! Order at least twice as many as you need for testing, that way you can toss the crappy ones

Simpler=Better
09-06-2013, 06:05 PM #50

(09-06-2013, 03:20 PM)1911diesel

sweet Smile.

Sweeet! Order at least twice as many as you need for testing, that way you can toss the crappy ones

Pages (2): 1 2 Next

• 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average