STD Tuning Engine I need to trick the fuel gauge, and the guys at the ship yard

I need to trick the fuel gauge, and the guys at the ship yard

I need to trick the fuel gauge, and the guys at the ship yard

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

poleshady
GTA2056V

08-05-2013, 10:42 PM #1
Im shipping my car next week, but they only want you to have 1/4 tank, but why pay for diesel when i get it there, when I have free veggie oil at home.
So i want to make the gauge below 1/4 and or have the low fuel light on. Can i unplug the wires at the sending unit and run jumpers around in that plug until i get the effect i want, or is that gonna screw up the gauge, i have to imagine those things are pretty sensitive.
i guess i could zip tie the floats down to the bottom of the sending unit or something too.
poleshady
08-05-2013, 10:42 PM #1

Im shipping my car next week, but they only want you to have 1/4 tank, but why pay for diesel when i get it there, when I have free veggie oil at home.
So i want to make the gauge below 1/4 and or have the low fuel light on. Can i unplug the wires at the sending unit and run jumpers around in that plug until i get the effect i want, or is that gonna screw up the gauge, i have to imagine those things are pretty sensitive.
i guess i could zip tie the floats down to the bottom of the sending unit or something too.

AlanMcR
mind - blown

08-05-2013, 11:46 PM #2
(08-05-2013, 10:42 PM)poleshady Im shipping my car next week, but they only want you to have 1/4 tank, but why pay for diesel when i get it there, when I have free veggie oil at home.

Doesn't seem worth it. However, if you insist, run the fuel down to the level you want to show. Then remove the wires from the tank sender. Measure the resistance of the tank sender and install a resistor of that value across the wires.
AlanMcR
08-05-2013, 11:46 PM #2

(08-05-2013, 10:42 PM)poleshady Im shipping my car next week, but they only want you to have 1/4 tank, but why pay for diesel when i get it there, when I have free veggie oil at home.

Doesn't seem worth it. However, if you insist, run the fuel down to the level you want to show. Then remove the wires from the tank sender. Measure the resistance of the tank sender and install a resistor of that value across the wires.

larsalan
Superturbo

08-06-2013, 07:00 AM #3
That sounds like if you had a variable resistor you could just dial it up or down whenever you wanted Wink

Rusted out beat down 300d turbo 82' -- RIP
Nice body, tons of ridiculous mechanical issues - 300d turbo 82' /motor 85'
larsalan
08-06-2013, 07:00 AM #3

That sounds like if you had a variable resistor you could just dial it up or down whenever you wanted Wink

Rusted out beat down 300d turbo 82' -- RIP
Nice body, tons of ridiculous mechanical issues - 300d turbo 82' /motor 85'

yankneck696
Build it so strong & blow it up good !!!

08-06-2013, 07:39 AM #4
200 ohm to 4000 ohm potentiometr from Radio Shack should give you any reading you want. It will cover all sending units.
Ed
yankneck696
08-06-2013, 07:39 AM #4

200 ohm to 4000 ohm potentiometr from Radio Shack should give you any reading you want. It will cover all sending units.
Ed

poleshady
GTA2056V

08-07-2013, 03:56 AM #5
ok, but just randmly connecting pins till i find what works should do it, without damaging the gauge? or should i look at a wiring diagram
poleshady
08-07-2013, 03:56 AM #5

ok, but just randmly connecting pins till i find what works should do it, without damaging the gauge? or should i look at a wiring diagram

yankneck696
Build it so strong & blow it up good !!!

08-07-2013, 07:32 AM #6
Should go from the fuel sender wire to ground. Couple alligator clip leads & you are all good.

Ed
yankneck696
08-07-2013, 07:32 AM #6

Should go from the fuel sender wire to ground. Couple alligator clip leads & you are all good.

Ed

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average