STD Maintenance General how much is a 240d with a 617 in it worth?

how much is a 240d with a 617 in it worth?

how much is a 240d with a 617 in it worth?

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

jenyus
GT2256V

08-04-2013, 10:57 PM #1
my 83 240d threw a rod and i think im going to put a 617 in it, but im not sure how long i want to hold on to it. is it worth more with the 5 cyl turbo diesel and the 4spd manual? or should i just put another 616 in it? ive done a lot of engine swaps and custom fabrication (built 4 rock crawlers) so i know my way around swaps and the fab required.
jenyus
08-04-2013, 10:57 PM #1

my 83 240d threw a rod and i think im going to put a 617 in it, but im not sure how long i want to hold on to it. is it worth more with the 5 cyl turbo diesel and the 4spd manual? or should i just put another 616 in it? ive done a lot of engine swaps and custom fabrication (built 4 rock crawlers) so i know my way around swaps and the fab required.

larsalan
Superturbo

08-05-2013, 07:16 AM #2
I think it would probably be a matter of a opinion if om616 or om617 is worth more.
The manual is probably better than auto no matter what.
I don't know how much fab is needed for that swap.
Maybe beefier front springs, bigger radiator, and new badges for the trunk lid Wink

For what the cars are actually worth i think from $500-$5000 depending on condition.
And then there's people trying to sell for more but that's nuts.
This post was last modified: 08-05-2013, 07:17 AM by larsalan.

Rusted out beat down 300d turbo 82' -- RIP
Nice body, tons of ridiculous mechanical issues - 300d turbo 82' /motor 85'
larsalan
08-05-2013, 07:16 AM #2

I think it would probably be a matter of a opinion if om616 or om617 is worth more.
Maybe beefier front springs, bigger radiator, and new badges for the trunk lid Wink

For what the cars are actually worth i think from $500-$5000 depending on condition.

Rusted out beat down 300d turbo 82' -- RIP
Nice body, tons of ridiculous mechanical issues - 300d turbo 82' /motor 85'

Simpler=Better
PORTED HEAD

08-05-2013, 10:05 AM #3
From what I've read in other people's swaps:

You need a 240D auto transmission crossmember (it's set farther back)
Custom shortened driveshaft (after the install is done)
A bigger radiator for the turbo 5cyl motor
Modify the shifter linkage (I have no idea how, it's detailed on PP though)

Other than that it's just regular motor swap stuff. Everything else should swap in "easy"

Newbie-read this: Cheap Tricks
617.952-220k-Getting built up
larsalan I guess I need to look at this stupid ass drip shit. What you have to like mess with those elements on the pump? What a fucking hassle. then use some wire to hold the throttle open or some shit?
Simpler=Better
08-05-2013, 10:05 AM #3

From what I've read in other people's swaps:

Other than that it's just regular motor swap stuff. Everything else should swap in "easy"

larsalan I guess I need to look at this stupid ass drip shit. What you have to like mess with those elements on the pump? What a fucking hassle. then use some wire to hold the throttle open or some shit?

jenyus
GT2256V

08-05-2013, 12:20 PM #4
(08-05-2013, 07:16 AM)larsalan I think it would probably be a matter of a opinion if om616 or om617 is worth more.

from what ive read, the suspension is okay and they use the same radiator. and definitely new badges!

mines in excellent condition, except for the thrown rod and a couple interior pieces. its just hard to find the right buyer who appreciates the value but doesnt already own one

(08-05-2013, 10:05 AM)Simpler=Better From what I've read in other people's swaps:

okay i didn't know about the crossmember, ill have to poke around under there, maybe i can make one, i have a plasma table good for 1"-1/2" steel

yeah the driveshaft needs to be chopped down 4", local driveline shop can do that for $75 for a cut and balance
i think the radiator is fine, but either way, ill have the one out of the 300sd im buying for the swap (bad transmission)
shifter linkage just needs to have 4" cut out of it.
jenyus
08-05-2013, 12:20 PM #4

(08-05-2013, 07:16 AM)larsalan I think it would probably be a matter of a opinion if om616 or om617 is worth more.

from what ive read, the suspension is okay and they use the same radiator. and definitely new badges!

mines in excellent condition, except for the thrown rod and a couple interior pieces. its just hard to find the right buyer who appreciates the value but doesnt already own one

(08-05-2013, 10:05 AM)Simpler=Better From what I've read in other people's swaps:

okay i didn't know about the crossmember, ill have to poke around under there, maybe i can make one, i have a plasma table good for 1"-1/2" steel

yeah the driveshaft needs to be chopped down 4", local driveline shop can do that for $75 for a cut and balance
i think the radiator is fine, but either way, ill have the one out of the 300sd im buying for the swap (bad transmission)

Simpler=Better
PORTED HEAD

08-05-2013, 12:27 PM #5
(08-05-2013, 12:20 PM)jenyus

Yeah, you will have no trouble fabricating what you need. The auto crossmember is a bolt in, and you can probably find one being in cali. But if you want to go home made just bolt everything together except for the tranny mount and start cutting/welding.

Simpler=Better
08-05-2013, 12:27 PM #5

(08-05-2013, 12:20 PM)jenyus

Yeah, you will have no trouble fabricating what you need. The auto crossmember is a bolt in, and you can probably find one being in cali. But if you want to go home made just bolt everything together except for the tranny mount and start cutting/welding.

JB3
Superturbo

08-06-2013, 01:45 PM #6
If you want to slap it together, an automatic crossmember from a 300D will work reversed. It will line up with two holes, but the offset will be wrong, so you will have to drill a pair of new trans mount holes in the crossmember to correct the offset.

I only mention this as it works as a good temp solution while you are looking for a 240 auto cross member or modifying something to work. It will work, but its a bit crude. I did it for 20k though without even the offset corrected. Ultimately I corrected the offset issue and welded a couple ears onto it to get the other two bolt holes.

1974 240D 617 turbo swap, W201 5-speed, in the works project
1983 240D 616 stock, DD
1989 Chevy Astro, 617 turbo swap, T5 5-speed, 4.56 diff, work van

JB3
08-06-2013, 01:45 PM #6

If you want to slap it together, an automatic crossmember from a 300D will work reversed. It will line up with two holes, but the offset will be wrong, so you will have to drill a pair of new trans mount holes in the crossmember to correct the offset.

I only mention this as it works as a good temp solution while you are looking for a 240 auto cross member or modifying something to work. It will work, but its a bit crude. I did it for 20k though without even the offset corrected. Ultimately I corrected the offset issue and welded a couple ears onto it to get the other two bolt holes.

1974 240D 617 turbo swap, W201 5-speed, in the works project
1983 240D 616 stock, DD
1989 Chevy Astro, 617 turbo swap, T5 5-speed, 4.56 diff, work van

willbhere4u
Six in a row make her go!

08-06-2013, 02:24 PM #7
The radiators are different 240d have a radiator cap and are much smaller the 300d has a bottle with the cap on it and are about 2-3 inches wider also the 300d turbos have a much bigger oil cooler

1987 300SDL 6spd manual om606.962 swap project
1985 300td euro 5spd wagon running
willbhere4u
08-06-2013, 02:24 PM #7

The radiators are different 240d have a radiator cap and are much smaller the 300d has a bottle with the cap on it and are about 2-3 inches wider also the 300d turbos have a much bigger oil cooler

1987 300SDL 6spd manual om606.962 swap project
1985 300td euro 5spd wagon running

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average