STD Other Open EGT Gauge Issue

EGT Gauge Issue

EGT Gauge Issue

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

SWL300SDL
300SDL Super Turbo / Prius Killer

07-24-2013, 09:40 PM #1
So I picked up a fairly cheap EGT gauge off Ebay. Probably not the best of ideas but I figured it would get me by until I can afford a nicer gauge. The brand is Dragon Gauges. When wiring, it has a red wire that goes to the ignition switch, a yellow wire that goes to the battery, and a black ground wire, and the 2 wires for the probe. Now I have it all installed minus the red wire that goes to the ignition switch. What I am wondering is does anyone else have this gauge? And if so is there another option than taping into the ignition switch wiring. I tried a few other spots and the gauge lite up and flashed 20 over and over. It states the volt light will come on but it has yet to do this from the other areas I have tried to wire it to. Pic is attached. Any info would be helpful.

This post was last modified: 07-24-2013, 09:42 PM by SWL300SDL.

1987 Mercedes 300SDL Super Turbo Restore/Project
SWL300SDL
07-24-2013, 09:40 PM #1

So I picked up a fairly cheap EGT gauge off Ebay. Probably not the best of ideas but I figured it would get me by until I can afford a nicer gauge. The brand is Dragon Gauges. When wiring, it has a red wire that goes to the ignition switch, a yellow wire that goes to the battery, and a black ground wire, and the 2 wires for the probe. Now I have it all installed minus the red wire that goes to the ignition switch. What I am wondering is does anyone else have this gauge? And if so is there another option than taping into the ignition switch wiring. I tried a few other spots and the gauge lite up and flashed 20 over and over. It states the volt light will come on but it has yet to do this from the other areas I have tried to wire it to. Pic is attached. Any info would be helpful.

sassparilla_kid
diesel > all other fuels

07-24-2013, 11:40 PM #2
You could always hook it into one of the ports on the headlight switch if you're just looking for another power source, of course it would only work when the headlights are on

-1982 300D Turbo, 280k miles, ALDA apparently maxxed, fram 8038, 12 lbs boost, non-egr manifolds, W/M injection, 4 brake light mod, Gen II w126 front rotors/calipers, 4-speed swap
In the works: A/W IC, adjust pump, turbo rebuild (w/60 trim comp wheel)
-1980 300SD, 110k, project car. Goal is to get it lookin' like it did on the showroom floor (body and interior wise, not necessarily under the hood )
-1974 240D, FRESH PAINT!!!!!!
sassparilla_kid
07-24-2013, 11:40 PM #2

You could always hook it into one of the ports on the headlight switch if you're just looking for another power source, of course it would only work when the headlights are on

-1982 300D Turbo, 280k miles, ALDA apparently maxxed, fram 8038, 12 lbs boost, non-egr manifolds, W/M injection, 4 brake light mod, Gen II w126 front rotors/calipers, 4-speed swap
In the works: A/W IC, adjust pump, turbo rebuild (w/60 trim comp wheel)
-1980 300SD, 110k, project car. Goal is to get it lookin' like it did on the showroom floor (body and interior wise, not necessarily under the hood )
-1974 240D, FRESH PAINT!!!!!!

SWL300SDL

07-25-2013, 03:34 AM #3
I got the power thing figured out but the damn thing keeps blinking the number 20 and the volt light isn't coming on. I tried driving around to see if it would give me a reading for the EGT's but all it did was blink 20. Starting to think it could be a bad gauge or probe. Guess you get what you pay for....

SWL300SDL
07-25-2013, 03:34 AM #3

I got the power thing figured out but the damn thing keeps blinking the number 20 and the volt light isn't coming on. I tried driving around to see if it would give me a reading for the EGT's but all it did was blink 20. Starting to think it could be a bad gauge or probe. Guess you get what you pay for....

lgreeley83
Mr. Rumbles

07-25-2013, 07:34 AM #4
I'm sure ignition just means any source that is only supplied power when key is in on position. I like using radios or CIG lighter power supply.

Ie red to battery constant supply and the yellow to the radio or any other powered only when key is on.

I don't know your guage requirements but my isspro has an amp or something between the probe and gauge as well.
This post was last modified: 07-25-2013, 08:23 AM by lgreeley83.

" straighten up that star on the grill, assholes."

lgreeley83
07-25-2013, 07:34 AM #4

I'm sure ignition just means any source that is only supplied power when key is in on position. I like using radios or CIG lighter power supply.

Ie red to battery constant supply and the yellow to the radio or any other powered only when key is on.

I don't know your guage requirements but my isspro has an amp or something between the probe and gauge as well.

" straighten up that star on the grill, assholes."

Simpler=Better
PORTED HEAD

07-25-2013, 10:15 AM #5
You will need 2 wires from the sensor, then gauge power, and gauge ground. There may be a dimmer line but I doubt it.

A digital EGT gauge should show the temp even when the car isn't running-mine would show the cold engine temp in the morning (fun to see 12° on your EGT readout in the winter)

Newbie-read this: Cheap Tricks
617.952-220k-Getting built up
larsalan I guess I need to look at this stupid ass drip shit. What you have to like mess with those elements on the pump? What a fucking hassle. then use some wire to hold the throttle open or some shit?
Simpler=Better
07-25-2013, 10:15 AM #5

You will need 2 wires from the sensor, then gauge power, and gauge ground. There may be a dimmer line but I doubt it.

A digital EGT gauge should show the temp even when the car isn't running-mine would show the cold engine temp in the morning (fun to see 12° on your EGT readout in the winter)

Newbie-read this: Cheap Tricks
617.952-220k-Getting built up
larsalan I guess I need to look at this stupid ass drip shit. What you have to like mess with those elements on the pump? What a fucking hassle. then use some wire to hold the throttle open or some shit?

SWL300SDL

08-01-2013, 12:42 AM #6
I was able to wire it in and finally got it working. The only drawback is it reads in Celsius. It also doesn't read temps below 200c. So not the best of gauges for a Merc diesel. Once I hit 300c it works but that rarely happens unless I drive like a dick or roll coal on a prius haha.

SWL300SDL
08-01-2013, 12:42 AM #6

I was able to wire it in and finally got it working. The only drawback is it reads in Celsius. It also doesn't read temps below 200c. So not the best of gauges for a Merc diesel. Once I hit 300c it works but that rarely happens unless I drive like a dick or roll coal on a prius haha.

rudygetz
Naturally-aspirated

09-12-2013, 08:50 PM #7
(08-01-2013, 12:42 AM)SWL300SDL I was able to wire it in and finally got it working. The only drawback is it reads in Celsius. It also doesn't read temps below 200c. So not the best of gauges for a Merc diesel. Once I hit 300c it works but that rarely happens unless I drive like a dick or roll coal on a prius haha.

I sent you an email, and a PM..I was hoping you could elaborate on how you fixed the flashing 20 issue on your Dragon Gauge. I'm facing the same problem and not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks
rudygetz
09-12-2013, 08:50 PM #7

(08-01-2013, 12:42 AM)SWL300SDL I was able to wire it in and finally got it working. The only drawback is it reads in Celsius. It also doesn't read temps below 200c. So not the best of gauges for a Merc diesel. Once I hit 300c it works but that rarely happens unless I drive like a dick or roll coal on a prius haha.

I sent you an email, and a PM..I was hoping you could elaborate on how you fixed the flashing 20 issue on your Dragon Gauge. I'm facing the same problem and not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks

SWL300SDL

09-14-2013, 02:26 AM #8
(09-12-2013, 08:50 PM)rudygetz

Thanks

Video of how it works in a Merc is here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJoBnaBuC...9PxZj7VHpw

It will always flash if it reads under 300 Celsius. I have learned to ignore the flashing. But it does read accurately for what it is. I wired it as follows: Red wire ties into the power supply to the stereo, yellow wire is ran to the positive battery terminal with a fuse, and the black is a ground ran to the negative battery terminal.

SWL300SDL
09-14-2013, 02:26 AM #8

(09-12-2013, 08:50 PM)rudygetz

Thanks

Video of how it works in a Merc is here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJoBnaBuC...9PxZj7VHpw

It will always flash if it reads under 300 Celsius. I have learned to ignore the flashing. But it does read accurately for what it is. I wired it as follows: Red wire ties into the power supply to the stereo, yellow wire is ran to the positive battery terminal with a fuse, and the black is a ground ran to the negative battery terminal.

rudygetz
Naturally-aspirated

09-14-2013, 09:41 AM #9
Thanks so much. I've been waiting the whole week to drive my damn car in fear the gauge wasn't working and i'd blow something
rudygetz
09-14-2013, 09:41 AM #9

Thanks so much. I've been waiting the whole week to drive my damn car in fear the gauge wasn't working and i'd blow something

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average