STD Maintenance General Not getting enough fuel!!

Not getting enough fuel!!

Not getting enough fuel!!

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Franko
Naturally-aspirated

07-15-2013, 03:29 PM #1
Has anyone on here had any issues with the lift pump not delivering enough fuel? Did you use any sort of inline fuel pump etc. I have a Om617 in a land rover and it seems to be having this issue under heavy loads.

Like when a go up a steep grade and the RPM's are up there. All of a sudden it just cuts out on me like its starving for fuel,but the tank is full.Angry
Franko
07-15-2013, 03:29 PM #1

Has anyone on here had any issues with the lift pump not delivering enough fuel? Did you use any sort of inline fuel pump etc. I have a Om617 in a land rover and it seems to be having this issue under heavy loads.

Like when a go up a steep grade and the RPM's are up there. All of a sudden it just cuts out on me like its starving for fuel,but the tank is full.Angry

larsalan
Superturbo

07-15-2013, 05:05 PM #2
We always check for clean filters first. And a clean tank screen. But I guess you have your own tank setup, not the original from a 300d/sd
Past that, some people do use electric pumps to assist.
Also, could check for air leaks in the plumbing. Maybe under lower loads the air leaks aren't a hazard but then under high loads plumbing leaks become detrimental.
You could try a test with a small 1 gallon jug rigged up in the engine bay if that would help isolate the problem to somewhere else in the fuel loop/circuit.
Does your lift pump have a white or a black manual pump button?

Rusted out beat down 300d turbo 82' -- RIP
Nice body, tons of ridiculous mechanical issues - 300d turbo 82' /motor 85'
larsalan
07-15-2013, 05:05 PM #2

We always check for clean filters first. And a clean tank screen. But I guess you have your own tank setup, not the original from a 300d/sd
Also, could check for air leaks in the plumbing. Maybe under lower loads the air leaks aren't a hazard but then under high loads plumbing leaks become detrimental.
You could try a test with a small 1 gallon jug rigged up in the engine bay if that would help isolate the problem to somewhere else in the fuel loop/circuit.

Franko
Naturally-aspirated

07-15-2013, 05:12 PM #3
(07-15-2013, 05:05 PM)larsalan We always check for clean filters first. And a clean tank screen. But I guess you have your own tank setup, not the original from a 300d/sd

Yes I believe the lift pump has a white manual pump button. Yes will be doing a diesel purge and then all new filters. And yeah wondering about air getting into the lines. But how would I find that air leak ?
Franko
07-15-2013, 05:12 PM #3

(07-15-2013, 05:05 PM)larsalan We always check for clean filters first. And a clean tank screen. But I guess you have your own tank setup, not the original from a 300d/sd

Yes I believe the lift pump has a white manual pump button. Yes will be doing a diesel purge and then all new filters. And yeah wondering about air getting into the lines. But how would I find that air leak ?

larsalan
Superturbo

07-15-2013, 05:21 PM #4
idk, just double check any hose clamps or compression fittings. Btw the white pump is the one people say is shittier compared to the black.

larsalan
07-15-2013, 05:21 PM #4

idk, just double check any hose clamps or compression fittings. Btw the white pump is the one people say is shittier compared to the black.

Simpler=Better
PORTED HEAD

07-15-2013, 09:17 PM #5
I've read that too small of a supply line can cause a restriction. A properly sized fuel pump certainly won't hurt.

Have you checked the fuel pressure return spring? It can wear over time

Newbie-read this: Cheap Tricks
617.952-220k-Getting built up
larsalan I guess I need to look at this stupid ass drip shit. What you have to like mess with those elements on the pump? What a fucking hassle. then use some wire to hold the throttle open or some shit?
Simpler=Better
07-15-2013, 09:17 PM #5

I've read that too small of a supply line can cause a restriction. A properly sized fuel pump certainly won't hurt.

Have you checked the fuel pressure return spring? It can wear over time

larsalan I guess I need to look at this stupid ass drip shit. What you have to like mess with those elements on the pump? What a fucking hassle. then use some wire to hold the throttle open or some shit?

barrote
Superturbo

07-16-2013, 10:49 AM #6
hy there, had the same problem some time ago, but my engine is a 605 and a M pump. was the O rings that lead air inside the system especially at the prefilter stage. my solution was removing the lift pump to the bin , installed a electrical one in series and after i found that my pump did not need lifting. when i need the max power i switch the electrical pump momentarlly and thats it.
problem solved.
by the way i bought one BMW after market pump, the bastard puts to much pressure , can go above 5 bar with engine stoped or at idle, is too much , it brakes the pipes.
regards

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel
barrote
07-16-2013, 10:49 AM #6

hy there, had the same problem some time ago, but my engine is a 605 and a M pump. was the O rings that lead air inside the system especially at the prefilter stage. my solution was removing the lift pump to the bin , installed a electrical one in series and after i found that my pump did not need lifting. when i need the max power i switch the electrical pump momentarlly and thats it.
problem solved.
by the way i bought one BMW after market pump, the bastard puts to much pressure , can go above 5 bar with engine stoped or at idle, is too much , it brakes the pipes.
regards

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel

Franko
Naturally-aspirated

07-17-2013, 11:19 AM #7
So not wanting to start a new thread,my question is: My Land Rover (that this motor is in) has an inline fuel filter right after the tank in front of the right rear wheel. I need to replace this filter as I believe its clogged and restricting the flow. Question being can I just remove this inline filter altogether and throw it in the bin,as these motors already have a fuel filter up on the motor. And have been told that this "gas filter" will not work well for diesel fuel.
Franko
07-17-2013, 11:19 AM #7

So not wanting to start a new thread,my question is: My Land Rover (that this motor is in) has an inline fuel filter right after the tank in front of the right rear wheel. I need to replace this filter as I believe its clogged and restricting the flow. Question being can I just remove this inline filter altogether and throw it in the bin,as these motors already have a fuel filter up on the motor. And have been told that this "gas filter" will not work well for diesel fuel.

Simpler=Better
PORTED HEAD

07-17-2013, 11:29 AM #8
(07-17-2013, 11:19 AM)Franko So not wanting to start a new thread,my question is: My Land Rover (that this motor is in) has an inline fuel filter right after the tank in front of the right rear wheel. I need to replace this filter as I believe its clogged and restricting the flow. Question being can I just remove this inline filter altogether and throw it in the bin,as these motors already have a fuel filter up on the motor. And have been told that this "gas filter" will not work well for diesel fuel.

As long as you have the big spin-on mercedes filter up near the engine, and the small clear merc prefilter as well, you don't need anything beyond that.

Simpler=Better
07-17-2013, 11:29 AM #8

(07-17-2013, 11:19 AM)Franko So not wanting to start a new thread,my question is: My Land Rover (that this motor is in) has an inline fuel filter right after the tank in front of the right rear wheel. I need to replace this filter as I believe its clogged and restricting the flow. Question being can I just remove this inline filter altogether and throw it in the bin,as these motors already have a fuel filter up on the motor. And have been told that this "gas filter" will not work well for diesel fuel.

As long as you have the big spin-on mercedes filter up near the engine, and the small clear merc prefilter as well, you don't need anything beyond that.

Franko
Naturally-aspirated

07-17-2013, 11:50 AM #9
(07-17-2013, 11:29 AM)Simpler=Better

Awesome those are the words I wanted to hear,THANKS!
I just think that inline filter is REALLY restricting my fuel flow.
This post was last modified: 07-17-2013, 12:07 PM by Franko.
Franko
07-17-2013, 11:50 AM #9

(07-17-2013, 11:29 AM)Simpler=Better

Awesome those are the words I wanted to hear,THANKS!
I just think that inline filter is REALLY restricting my fuel flow.

winmutt
bitbanger

07-18-2013, 08:18 AM #10
There is a rebuild kit for the lift pump and get the black hand pump. The white one has an oring that will age and suck air in. The rebuild kit is pretty straight forward.

1987 300D Sturmmachine
1991 300D Nearly Perfect
1985 300D Weekend/Camping/Dog car
1974 L508D Motoroam Monarch "NightMare"
OBK #42
winmutt
07-18-2013, 08:18 AM #10

There is a rebuild kit for the lift pump and get the black hand pump. The white one has an oring that will age and suck air in. The rebuild kit is pretty straight forward.

1987 300D Sturmmachine
1991 300D Nearly Perfect
1985 300D Weekend/Camping/Dog car
1974 L508D Motoroam Monarch "NightMare"
OBK #42

AlanMcR
mind - blown

07-18-2013, 01:54 PM #11
(07-15-2013, 03:29 PM)Franko Has anyone on here had any issues with the lift pump not delivering enough fuel? Did you use any sort of inline fuel pump etc. I have a Om617 in a land rover and it seems to be having this issue under heavy loads.

This problem is somewhat built into the lift pump design. I've got a Mercedes G with the factory OM606 turbo setup. It also suffers from reduced flow when climbing steeply, especially with a low tank. The problem is that the lift pump was designed for vehicles where there was essentially no "lift" between the tank and the engine. In a 4x4 there is at least an extra foot of actual lift that the pump has to accomplish, add another two-three feet when climbing steeply. The end result is that on the suction stroke the lift pump pulls sufficient suction to cause the vapor bubbles in the fuel. These don't fully recombine before getting to the IP causing reduced fuel delivery.

I think the only real solution to this is an electric lift pump mounted near the tank. I'm considering a low pressure pump (4psi) in conjunction with the standard pump, or a replacement with a higher pressure pump >15psi.
AlanMcR
07-18-2013, 01:54 PM #11

(07-15-2013, 03:29 PM)Franko Has anyone on here had any issues with the lift pump not delivering enough fuel? Did you use any sort of inline fuel pump etc. I have a Om617 in a land rover and it seems to be having this issue under heavy loads.

This problem is somewhat built into the lift pump design. I've got a Mercedes G with the factory OM606 turbo setup. It also suffers from reduced flow when climbing steeply, especially with a low tank. The problem is that the lift pump was designed for vehicles where there was essentially no "lift" between the tank and the engine. In a 4x4 there is at least an extra foot of actual lift that the pump has to accomplish, add another two-three feet when climbing steeply. The end result is that on the suction stroke the lift pump pulls sufficient suction to cause the vapor bubbles in the fuel. These don't fully recombine before getting to the IP causing reduced fuel delivery.

I think the only real solution to this is an electric lift pump mounted near the tank. I'm considering a low pressure pump (4psi) in conjunction with the standard pump, or a replacement with a higher pressure pump >15psi.

Franko
Naturally-aspirated

07-19-2013, 12:30 PM #12
Hmm good to know,guess I should get a new lift pump or just rebuilt that one that I have. And then get the black hand pump.
Thanks all,I'll work on this and see how it goes.
Oh and just have to say that this forum has been great,lots of knowledge on here that I couldn't find on some of the other diesel sites :-)
This post was last modified: 07-19-2013, 12:31 PM by Franko.
Franko
07-19-2013, 12:30 PM #12

Hmm good to know,guess I should get a new lift pump or just rebuilt that one that I have. And then get the black hand pump.
Thanks all,I'll work on this and see how it goes.
Oh and just have to say that this forum has been great,lots of knowledge on here that I couldn't find on some of the other diesel sites :-)

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average