STD Tuning Engine w210 e300td loss of power?

w210 e300td loss of power?

w210 e300td loss of power?

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

hooblah
Holset

06-23-2013, 02:52 PM #1
Hey guys I bought an e300td last week and it was running fine up until 2 days ago, where it lost all power and became very sluggish. Initial power is fine from a standstill, but theres no torque when it comes on boost. Actually, theres no boost whatsoever. I can hear the turbo but the car just doesnt move!

Im thinking possibly boost leak?
What should I be checking?

Thanks!
hooblah
06-23-2013, 02:52 PM #1

Hey guys I bought an e300td last week and it was running fine up until 2 days ago, where it lost all power and became very sluggish. Initial power is fine from a standstill, but theres no torque when it comes on boost. Actually, theres no boost whatsoever. I can hear the turbo but the car just doesnt move!

Thanks!

AlanMcR
mind - blown

06-23-2013, 09:31 PM #2
(06-23-2013, 02:52 PM)hooblah Hey guys I bought an e300td last week and it was running fine up until 2 days ago, where it lost all power and became very sluggish. Initial power is fine from a standstill, but theres no torque when it comes on boost. Actually, theres no boost whatsoever. I can hear the turbo but the car just doesnt move!

Thanks!

Sounds like it is in limp mode. Check that the wastegate is indeed pulled closed when the engine is running (careful - hot stuff there). Follow the intake system from filter to intake valve. Verify that the boost sense hose didn't fall off. Goes from intake manifold to tiny sensor on firewall. Of course there are a host of fuel leak scenarios (sucking in air).
AlanMcR
06-23-2013, 09:31 PM #2

(06-23-2013, 02:52 PM)hooblah Hey guys I bought an e300td last week and it was running fine up until 2 days ago, where it lost all power and became very sluggish. Initial power is fine from a standstill, but theres no torque when it comes on boost. Actually, theres no boost whatsoever. I can hear the turbo but the car just doesnt move!

Thanks!

Sounds like it is in limp mode. Check that the wastegate is indeed pulled closed when the engine is running (careful - hot stuff there). Follow the intake system from filter to intake valve. Verify that the boost sense hose didn't fall off. Goes from intake manifold to tiny sensor on firewall. Of course there are a host of fuel leak scenarios (sucking in air).

hooblah
Holset

06-24-2013, 11:59 AM #3
Cheers.

I just checked it earlier and found the boost pipe from the turbo had been crushed so the hose to the intercooler had fallen off! Not sure what caused that...
hooblah
06-24-2013, 11:59 AM #3

Cheers.

I just checked it earlier and found the boost pipe from the turbo had been crushed so the hose to the intercooler had fallen off! Not sure what caused that...

AlanMcR
mind - blown

06-24-2013, 01:37 PM #4
If the pipe you are talking about is down low near the radiator, then I probably do know how it happened: The PO ran the lower radiator supports into a parking berm. There is probably much hidden damage down there. All hidden by the underbody covers.

My teen driver pulled that stunt off, and it took several rounds of pulling things back into position and replacing parts before the car was reliable again.
AlanMcR
06-24-2013, 01:37 PM #4

If the pipe you are talking about is down low near the radiator, then I probably do know how it happened: The PO ran the lower radiator supports into a parking berm. There is probably much hidden damage down there. All hidden by the underbody covers.

My teen driver pulled that stunt off, and it took several rounds of pulling things back into position and replacing parts before the car was reliable again.

hooblah
Holset

06-24-2013, 05:00 PM #5
Hmm interesting. Yes that's the one. I had a quick look and nothing else seems damaged bar the pipe.

I did have a small incident last tuesday when I bottomed out the front end over a speed bump. It was fine until friday so im not sure if that caused it or not?
hooblah
06-24-2013, 05:00 PM #5

Hmm interesting. Yes that's the one. I had a quick look and nothing else seems damaged bar the pipe.

I did have a small incident last tuesday when I bottomed out the front end over a speed bump. It was fine until friday so im not sure if that caused it or not?

AlanMcR
mind - blown

06-24-2013, 05:13 PM #6
(06-24-2013, 05:00 PM)hooblah Hmm interesting. Yes that's the one. I had a quick look and nothing else seems damaged bar the pipe.

You might have gotten very lucky. The same sort of incident, cracked the radiator, shattered the fan, flattened the intercooler pipe and started a leak in the transmission piping. All around badness. Check carefully, the problems presented themselves slowly over time (except for the fan).
This post was last modified: 06-24-2013, 05:48 PM by AlanMcR.
AlanMcR
06-24-2013, 05:13 PM #6

(06-24-2013, 05:00 PM)hooblah Hmm interesting. Yes that's the one. I had a quick look and nothing else seems damaged bar the pipe.

You might have gotten very lucky. The same sort of incident, cracked the radiator, shattered the fan, flattened the intercooler pipe and started a leak in the transmission piping. All around badness. Check carefully, the problems presented themselves slowly over time (except for the fan).

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average