STD Other Projects om617.952 turbo into a 1976 240D w115 ???

om617.952 turbo into a 1976 240D w115 ???

om617.952 turbo into a 1976 240D w115 ???

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Gina-300DT
Unregistered

06-17-2013, 09:20 PM #1
So ... been an interesting year with my daily driver Gina. Long story short, too many little issues all broke at once has me very tempted to just swap the engine into another car all together. It's been biodiesel prepped with Viton lines and has a VeggieBenz WVO summer system in place already.

Initially this spring, I located an '82 240d manual parts car to swap in the transmission and interior into my '84 300DT. I am still planning to buy the retired beast next week to part out. The om616 in the '82 might be fine, but it's sat for 3 years due to a bad transmission in the car (it includes a replacement 4spd that was never put in) and is unknown.

Just this week, though, a pristine 1976 240d popped up for sale with a blown engine. The price is right, and I'm planning to look at the car Wednesday and decide if I want it. Manual windows, manual sunroof, almost no MB electrics to fail.

The goal car:
1976 W115 240D 4spd manual, and otherwise just like any other factory 1976 240D, with 1984 om617.952 turbo and W123 brakes . Add in a tach, updated stereo, EGT and boost gauges and have a super sweet ride.

In considering costs (mostly time at this point) to swap the 4spd manual, interior, and miscellaneous into the '84 300, it makes more sense to swap the engine from the '84 into the '76 240D since, short of the engine, the W115 is ready to roll.

I would also swap over the rear differential from the '84 (maybe put in one from an '85 if my local Benz doctor has one in his parts yard), keep the '76's 4spd manual, the new brake calipers and pads, and rear tires that just went onto the '84.

The question is, can the om617.952 be swapped into a W115.114 since it was the first chassis to offer a om617?

If so, what needs to be modded on the W115.114 and the om617.952 to make them get along?

Project would be:
- Donor '84 that's currently drivable and has all of the engine related parts available to swap.
- W115 1976 240D 4spd manual with dead engine but otherwise ready to roll.
- Desiring to straight pipe the exhaust in place of either system.
- Upgrade the W115 brakes to the W123 brakes.

I'm guessing that the front springs from the '84 would have to get swapped over to support the extra engine weight.

In reading below, it looks like the oil filter will have to be shifted a slight bit and the intake / exhaust adjusted to account for the frame.

Does it make sense to swap in a new / different turbo in place of the factory one with almost 300k miles and reduce the intake mods?

http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/dies...-w115.html

http://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/thread-1234.html

Anything else?

Also, what kind of cost would be involved for the machining needed?

I realize the front driveshaft needs to be shortened because of the extra cylinder but as far as manifolds, etc., what should be expected?

Thanks!
Gina-300DT
06-17-2013, 09:20 PM #1

So ... been an interesting year with my daily driver Gina. Long story short, too many little issues all broke at once has me very tempted to just swap the engine into another car all together. It's been biodiesel prepped with Viton lines and has a VeggieBenz WVO summer system in place already.

Initially this spring, I located an '82 240d manual parts car to swap in the transmission and interior into my '84 300DT. I am still planning to buy the retired beast next week to part out. The om616 in the '82 might be fine, but it's sat for 3 years due to a bad transmission in the car (it includes a replacement 4spd that was never put in) and is unknown.

Just this week, though, a pristine 1976 240d popped up for sale with a blown engine. The price is right, and I'm planning to look at the car Wednesday and decide if I want it. Manual windows, manual sunroof, almost no MB electrics to fail.

The goal car:
1976 W115 240D 4spd manual, and otherwise just like any other factory 1976 240D, with 1984 om617.952 turbo and W123 brakes . Add in a tach, updated stereo, EGT and boost gauges and have a super sweet ride.

In considering costs (mostly time at this point) to swap the 4spd manual, interior, and miscellaneous into the '84 300, it makes more sense to swap the engine from the '84 into the '76 240D since, short of the engine, the W115 is ready to roll.

I would also swap over the rear differential from the '84 (maybe put in one from an '85 if my local Benz doctor has one in his parts yard), keep the '76's 4spd manual, the new brake calipers and pads, and rear tires that just went onto the '84.

The question is, can the om617.952 be swapped into a W115.114 since it was the first chassis to offer a om617?

If so, what needs to be modded on the W115.114 and the om617.952 to make them get along?

Project would be:
- Donor '84 that's currently drivable and has all of the engine related parts available to swap.
- W115 1976 240D 4spd manual with dead engine but otherwise ready to roll.
- Desiring to straight pipe the exhaust in place of either system.
- Upgrade the W115 brakes to the W123 brakes.

I'm guessing that the front springs from the '84 would have to get swapped over to support the extra engine weight.

In reading below, it looks like the oil filter will have to be shifted a slight bit and the intake / exhaust adjusted to account for the frame.

Does it make sense to swap in a new / different turbo in place of the factory one with almost 300k miles and reduce the intake mods?

http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/dies...-w115.html

http://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/thread-1234.html

Anything else?

Also, what kind of cost would be involved for the machining needed?

I realize the front driveshaft needs to be shortened because of the extra cylinder but as far as manifolds, etc., what should be expected?

Thanks!

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average