STD Other Projects Safari Turbodiesel sedan ja?

Safari Turbodiesel sedan ja?

Safari Turbodiesel sedan ja?

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

amockalypsenow
Naturally-aspirated

06-17-2013, 06:05 PM #1
Howdy,

So I am beefing up my benz- prepping it for onroad/offroad missions long and short. eventually patagonia.

Already hooning it offroad around california and mexico and have lifted it 3-4 inches, added a skidplate and it drives pretty damn nice. Could use some more lift and I want to change the wheels.

I'm looking for advice and parts. Heart

I want to convert to a limited slip differential. Does anybody have one for sale or know where to get one that can be fitted for not too much! Advice?

Looking for 15/16 inch steelies (mine are 14 and the tires are 215/75 and can't corner for shit!)- I can run hub adapters- so if anybody has chevy toyota/ jeep whatever wheels+tires for sale, that would work too

Looking for a radiator skid plate (might just fab this).

Anybody selling Mercedes hubcentric wheel spacers w/bolts for cheap?

Also, I'd love some help/advice fabricating a 2 inch hitch receiver. (I want to take a montesa 315r on a hitch hauler around with me :-)

Anybody got Euro bumpers (particularly for the rear, so I can have the 2 inch receiver closer to the car and have less leverage working against me)

a bullbar, maybe.

A Non-egr intake/exhaust?

Anybody got any lower and better seats for sale?

SuggestionS? Idea

More photos & videos coming soon! Thanks.

P.S. (Suspension work done by friend and amazing independent mercedes master, John in Altadena (jmr000 (at) gmail (dot) com )

Thanks thanks thanks

Excited to learn some stuff from you guys. I live in Santa Monica. If any STD (as long as you wash your hands it's okay Tongue) folk are in the hood, please lets get in touch and let me buy you beers and ask you questions about LSD and other upgrades!!

(-8

amockalypsenow
06-17-2013, 06:05 PM #1

Howdy,

So I am beefing up my benz- prepping it for onroad/offroad missions long and short. eventually patagonia.

Already hooning it offroad around california and mexico and have lifted it 3-4 inches, added a skidplate and it drives pretty damn nice. Could use some more lift and I want to change the wheels.

I'm looking for advice and parts. Heart

I want to convert to a limited slip differential. Does anybody have one for sale or know where to get one that can be fitted for not too much! Advice?

Looking for 15/16 inch steelies (mine are 14 and the tires are 215/75 and can't corner for shit!)- I can run hub adapters- so if anybody has chevy toyota/ jeep whatever wheels+tires for sale, that would work too

Looking for a radiator skid plate (might just fab this).

Anybody selling Mercedes hubcentric wheel spacers w/bolts for cheap?

Also, I'd love some help/advice fabricating a 2 inch hitch receiver. (I want to take a montesa 315r on a hitch hauler around with me :-)

Anybody got Euro bumpers (particularly for the rear, so I can have the 2 inch receiver closer to the car and have less leverage working against me)

a bullbar, maybe.

A Non-egr intake/exhaust?

Anybody got any lower and better seats for sale?

SuggestionS? Idea

More photos & videos coming soon! Thanks.

P.S. (Suspension work done by friend and amazing independent mercedes master, John in Altadena (jmr000 (at) gmail (dot) com )

Thanks thanks thanks

Excited to learn some stuff from you guys. I live in Santa Monica. If any STD (as long as you wash your hands it's okay Tongue) folk are in the hood, please lets get in touch and let me buy you beers and ask you questions about LSD and other upgrades!!

(-8

lgreeley83
Mr. Rumbles

06-17-2013, 07:48 PM #2
Love the lifted look. What's the secret on that? Custom springs? Subframe stuff?

" straighten up that star on the grill, assholes."

lgreeley83
06-17-2013, 07:48 PM #2

Love the lifted look. What's the secret on that? Custom springs? Subframe stuff?

amockalypsenow
Naturally-aspirated

06-17-2013, 08:52 PM #3
Thank you.

Thicker coil pads(cups), longer coils, new subframe/diff mounts.
Smile

(06-17-2013, 07:48 PM)lgreeley83 Love the lifted look. What's the secret on that? Custom springs? Subframe stuff?

P.S. It's not all for looks: the ground clearance is amazing now. Before I lifted it and added the skidplate, I crunched the oil pan. SO I added the skidplate. Then my buddy highcentered it while we were in Baja, crunching the exhaust into the driveshaft- (screeched like hell til I wedged some wood under the exhaust and got it off the driveshaft!) So now it's lifted... much better.

Anybody ever relocate the lower control arms on these?
This post was last modified: 06-17-2013, 09:07 PM by amockalypsenow.
amockalypsenow
06-17-2013, 08:52 PM #3

Thank you.

Thicker coil pads(cups), longer coils, new subframe/diff mounts.
Smile

(06-17-2013, 07:48 PM)lgreeley83 Love the lifted look. What's the secret on that? Custom springs? Subframe stuff?

P.S. It's not all for looks: the ground clearance is amazing now. Before I lifted it and added the skidplate, I crunched the oil pan. SO I added the skidplate. Then my buddy highcentered it while we were in Baja, crunching the exhaust into the driveshaft- (screeched like hell til I wedged some wood under the exhaust and got it off the driveshaft!) So now it's lifted... much better.

Anybody ever relocate the lower control arms on these?

amockalypsenow
Naturally-aspirated

06-17-2013, 09:59 PM #4
Anybody on here have advice on fender rolling? (besides "don't do it") Smile
amockalypsenow
06-17-2013, 09:59 PM #4

Anybody on here have advice on fender rolling? (besides "don't do it") Smile

lgreeley83
Mr. Rumbles

06-17-2013, 10:14 PM #5
http://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/thread-1366.html
There's a link on a bull bar. Same guy fabbed a hitch. I bought it so if you look at my car there are additional pics.

There's a wagon floating around Europe with tougher springs giving it a lift. I always loved that wagon. Me, I understand the usability of lift, skids, and all that. Living near Chicago the worst I've got is pot holes. Love the look though. For non egr stuff Greazzer may have a set left. I forget otherwise just keep your eyes open.

lgreeley83
06-17-2013, 10:14 PM #5

http://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/thread-1366.html
There's a link on a bull bar. Same guy fabbed a hitch. I bought it so if you look at my car there are additional pics.

There's a wagon floating around Europe with tougher springs giving it a lift. I always loved that wagon. Me, I understand the usability of lift, skids, and all that. Living near Chicago the worst I've got is pot holes. Love the look though. For non egr stuff Greazzer may have a set left. I forget otherwise just keep your eyes open.

larsalan
Superturbo

06-18-2013, 06:47 AM #6
I worked with a guy to make a pretty nice hitch. The secret sauce on mine is this 5/32ish square tube. I got it at the scrapyard, it would have been like the size to wrap around a 4x4 post.
Then I ripped that longways at the opposite edges so now we had 2 L-shaped pieces.
One of them was pretty close to the shape of the back bumper.
But the back of the benz is like curved so I would say we 'darted' the L-shape to hug the bumper.
That is cut out little steep triangles and pinched the material back together.
Other than that it was just weld some scrap reese receiver to to the L'shape thing and then the whole shebang to the car. reinstall bumper. That guy was quite the help, we worked for probably 6-7 hrs on it.

Rusted out beat down 300d turbo 82' -- RIP
Nice body, tons of ridiculous mechanical issues - 300d turbo 82' /motor 85'
larsalan
06-18-2013, 06:47 AM #6

I worked with a guy to make a pretty nice hitch. The secret sauce on mine is this 5/32ish square tube. I got it at the scrapyard, it would have been like the size to wrap around a 4x4 post.
Then I ripped that longways at the opposite edges so now we had 2 L-shaped pieces.
One of them was pretty close to the shape of the back bumper.
But the back of the benz is like curved so I would say we 'darted' the L-shape to hug the bumper.
That is cut out little steep triangles and pinched the material back together.
Other than that it was just weld some scrap reese receiver to to the L'shape thing and then the whole shebang to the car. reinstall bumper. That guy was quite the help, we worked for probably 6-7 hrs on it.

Simpler=Better
PORTED HEAD

06-18-2013, 06:45 PM #7
Yeah it's mad easy to make a hitch once you get the bumper off. Larsalan's got it right on

Newbie-read this: Cheap Tricks
617.952-220k-Getting built up
larsalan I guess I need to look at this stupid ass drip shit. What you have to like mess with those elements on the pump? What a fucking hassle. then use some wire to hold the throttle open or some shit?
Simpler=Better
06-18-2013, 06:45 PM #7

Yeah it's mad easy to make a hitch once you get the bumper off. Larsalan's got it right on

Newbie-read this: Cheap Tricks
617.952-220k-Getting built up
larsalan I guess I need to look at this stupid ass drip shit. What you have to like mess with those elements on the pump? What a fucking hassle. then use some wire to hold the throttle open or some shit?

larsalan
Superturbo

06-18-2013, 07:25 PM #8
I use that fucker all the time too. Tied it off to a number of trees to help fell them the right way. Tow some trailers. et cet

larsalan
06-18-2013, 07:25 PM #8

I use that fucker all the time too. Tied it off to a number of trees to help fell them the right way. Tow some trailers. et cet

mcneil
Naturally-aspirated

06-18-2013, 08:45 PM #9
Looks like a cool ride in the works. Next time you go up to Altadena PM me, I may have some cleaned up manifolds, maybe a marker light or two. If you want some hitch welding, I can help out on that too.

1983 300SD - 350k miles, disassembled for a head R&R
2010 Golf TDI - The wife's car
mcneil
06-18-2013, 08:45 PM #9

Looks like a cool ride in the works. Next time you go up to Altadena PM me, I may have some cleaned up manifolds, maybe a marker light or two. If you want some hitch welding, I can help out on that too.

1983 300SD - 350k miles, disassembled for a head R&R
2010 Golf TDI - The wife's car

amockalypsenow
Naturally-aspirated

06-25-2013, 02:18 PM #10
An early design for an aluminum spring spacer, which I may still use for the back...
(damn solidworks license finished so I had to use sketchup)
    (I have a lot of other drawings for this)
Later, I revised the design to use thick wall steel pipe and weld in a disc, instead of a solid design.

Also, I have a folder of inspo pics, this being one of my favourites: a '74 911 built for the NORRA baja 1000:

This post was last modified: 06-25-2013, 02:19 PM by amockalypsenow.
amockalypsenow
06-25-2013, 02:18 PM #10

An early design for an aluminum spring spacer, which I may still use for the back...
(damn solidworks license finished so I had to use sketchup)
    (I have a lot of other drawings for this)
Later, I revised the design to use thick wall steel pipe and weld in a disc, instead of a solid design.

Also, I have a folder of inspo pics, this being one of my favourites: a '74 911 built for the NORRA baja 1000:

lgreeley83
Mr. Rumbles

04-01-2014, 06:48 AM #11
Update?

lgreeley83
04-01-2014, 06:48 AM #11

Update?

sassparilla_kid
diesel > all other fuels

04-07-2014, 08:38 PM #12
Make the bull bar and then have a radiator skid tie it to the oil pan skid. Pretty much all lsd rear ends are ultra expensive. Block the egr ports and cut out the mufflers and weld straight sections in, should get a little better performance. And the euro bumpers look better but don't do anything if you're hit. Just my $.02

-1982 300D Turbo, 280k miles, ALDA apparently maxxed, fram 8038, 12 lbs boost, non-egr manifolds, W/M injection, 4 brake light mod, Gen II w126 front rotors/calipers, 4-speed swap
In the works: A/W IC, adjust pump, turbo rebuild (w/60 trim comp wheel)
-1980 300SD, 110k, project car. Goal is to get it lookin' like it did on the showroom floor (body and interior wise, not necessarily under the hood )
-1974 240D, FRESH PAINT!!!!!!
sassparilla_kid
04-07-2014, 08:38 PM #12

Make the bull bar and then have a radiator skid tie it to the oil pan skid. Pretty much all lsd rear ends are ultra expensive. Block the egr ports and cut out the mufflers and weld straight sections in, should get a little better performance. And the euro bumpers look better but don't do anything if you're hit. Just my $.02

-1982 300D Turbo, 280k miles, ALDA apparently maxxed, fram 8038, 12 lbs boost, non-egr manifolds, W/M injection, 4 brake light mod, Gen II w126 front rotors/calipers, 4-speed swap
In the works: A/W IC, adjust pump, turbo rebuild (w/60 trim comp wheel)
-1980 300SD, 110k, project car. Goal is to get it lookin' like it did on the showroom floor (body and interior wise, not necessarily under the hood )
-1974 240D, FRESH PAINT!!!!!!

tjts1
GT2256V

04-08-2014, 01:04 PM #13
I saw it on LA craigslist about a month ago.

[Image: 208104.png]
tjts1
04-08-2014, 01:04 PM #13

I saw it on LA craigslist about a month ago.

[Image: 208104.png]

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average