STD Maintenance General W123 One wire alternator

W123 One wire alternator

W123 One wire alternator

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

MFSuper90
Budget Builder

06-17-2013, 07:48 AM #1
My alternator always gives me fits, back feeding, not charging, etc...
So my plan is to do away with it and put a one wire alternator on it. I saw a thread were someone did it, but I cant seem to find it again.
I figure I will have to tweek some brackets or maybe even make some, thats no big deal. But what about wiring? Does the stock alternator control anything else?
And what size alternator do yall think I should run?

'82 300D -3" straight pipe, ALDA deleted, 3in1 glowshift gauge, HX30, egr-less manifold, A/W intercooler Big Grin
'14 Ram 6.7l cummins -G56 handshaker, wishing it was deleted         
MFSuper90
06-17-2013, 07:48 AM #1

My alternator always gives me fits, back feeding, not charging, etc...
So my plan is to do away with it and put a one wire alternator on it. I saw a thread were someone did it, but I cant seem to find it again.
I figure I will have to tweek some brackets or maybe even make some, thats no big deal. But what about wiring? Does the stock alternator control anything else?
And what size alternator do yall think I should run?

'82 300D -3" straight pipe, ALDA deleted, 3in1 glowshift gauge, HX30, egr-less manifold, A/W intercooler Big Grin

MFSuper90
Budget Builder

06-19-2013, 10:13 PM #2
Guess ill be the first to try it out!
Not sure how soon ill get it done, but I will keep y'all updated

MFSuper90
06-19-2013, 10:13 PM #2

Guess ill be the first to try it out!
Not sure how soon ill get it done, but I will keep y'all updated

mxfrank
K26-2

06-24-2013, 08:42 PM #3
There are "one wire" alternators that self energize, I think the only brand is Delco. They have a big disadvantage: They don't begin to charge until you rev the alternator above 3000 rpm, because they use residual magnetism in the rotor to bootstrap.

Pretty much all the alternators you will find on production cars have a second wire, usually labeled D+ or I, to provide a trickle of current to bootstrap the alternator as soon as it starts turning. The voltage to the D+ connection actually filters through the indicator light in the dash. The light goes out because the alternator itself suppplies the D+ terminal with 12v+ once the alternator starts turning.

The sensible thing to do is to figure out why your alternator isn't charging, as there really is no better alternator than an old Bosch. Why wouldn't it charge? Is your dash indicator light ok? It often surprises people that a blown indicator bulb will keep the alternator from bootstrapping. The other possible causes would be a faulty regulator, bad wiring, worn brushes, or carbon'd slip rings.

1987 Mercedes 190TD
mxfrank
06-24-2013, 08:42 PM #3

There are "one wire" alternators that self energize, I think the only brand is Delco. They have a big disadvantage: They don't begin to charge until you rev the alternator above 3000 rpm, because they use residual magnetism in the rotor to bootstrap.

Pretty much all the alternators you will find on production cars have a second wire, usually labeled D+ or I, to provide a trickle of current to bootstrap the alternator as soon as it starts turning. The voltage to the D+ connection actually filters through the indicator light in the dash. The light goes out because the alternator itself suppplies the D+ terminal with 12v+ once the alternator starts turning.

The sensible thing to do is to figure out why your alternator isn't charging, as there really is no better alternator than an old Bosch. Why wouldn't it charge? Is your dash indicator light ok? It often surprises people that a blown indicator bulb will keep the alternator from bootstrapping. The other possible causes would be a faulty regulator, bad wiring, worn brushes, or carbon'd slip rings.

1987 Mercedes 190TD

MFSuper90
Budget Builder

06-24-2013, 09:51 PM #4
Indicator does work, and I've tried two different alternators and regulators.
Honestly, I am tired of fooling with it. Plus I like fabricating stuff to make it fit and work properly. As for it not energizing til 3k, why can't I just put a little smaller pulley on it? I have done it on tractors before to make them energize sooner and it seemed to work great.
Another reason I am turned towards a one wire is they we have several laying around our shop that we could use

MFSuper90
06-24-2013, 09:51 PM #4

Indicator does work, and I've tried two different alternators and regulators.
Honestly, I am tired of fooling with it. Plus I like fabricating stuff to make it fit and work properly. As for it not energizing til 3k, why can't I just put a little smaller pulley on it? I have done it on tractors before to make them energize sooner and it seemed to work great.
Another reason I am turned towards a one wire is they we have several laying around our shop that we could use

Captain America
Boostin' & Roostin'

09-04-2013, 01:47 AM #5
I just put a 150amp CS-144 Delco from a GM truck on mine, had to use longer belts and mod the top bracket but it went good. Now just to figure out where the Batt wire from the alternator go.... Looks like they go through the firewall to somewhere inside the car

1982 300D Turbo ... 3,6xxlbs, No fan, No AC, Hood Stack, No ALDA, No rear bumper and stuffed front, A/W Intercooled, Injectors by Greezer and HUGE Pre-Chambers with help from OM616 & Simpler=Better, Fuel Cranked up, 60 Trim Compressor wheel, EGT, EMP, Boost 50" Rigid Radius bar on roof Aux tank for a total of 48 Gal Of Diesel! Odyssey PC-1750 Battery in trunk, 27"x8.5"/R14 Maxxis BigHorn Mud Terrains, In June '14 issue of Off Road Mag

AX15 Jeep Trans swap in progress....

Captain America
09-04-2013, 01:47 AM #5

I just put a 150amp CS-144 Delco from a GM truck on mine, had to use longer belts and mod the top bracket but it went good. Now just to figure out where the Batt wire from the alternator go.... Looks like they go through the firewall to somewhere inside the car

1982 300D Turbo ... 3,6xxlbs, No fan, No AC, Hood Stack, No ALDA, No rear bumper and stuffed front, A/W Intercooled, Injectors by Greezer and HUGE Pre-Chambers with help from OM616 & Simpler=Better, Fuel Cranked up, 60 Trim Compressor wheel, EGT, EMP, Boost 50" Rigid Radius bar on roof Aux tank for a total of 48 Gal Of Diesel! Odyssey PC-1750 Battery in trunk, 27"x8.5"/R14 Maxxis BigHorn Mud Terrains, In June '14 issue of Off Road Mag

AX15 Jeep Trans swap in progress....

MFSuper90
Budget Builder

09-05-2013, 05:29 PM #6
Capt, I think the battery wire runs though the indicator. At least I believe that's what I think read somewhere.

Don't hold me to that though. My alternator hasn't acted up for quite awhile now, so I haven't messed with mine. Plus I am at college so I don't have time or a place to fab or even work on stuff

MFSuper90
09-05-2013, 05:29 PM #6

Capt, I think the battery wire runs though the indicator. At least I believe that's what I think read somewhere.

Don't hold me to that though. My alternator hasn't acted up for quite awhile now, so I haven't messed with mine. Plus I am at college so I don't have time or a place to fab or even work on stuff

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average