STD Tuning Engine Om 606 Top Mounted Intercooler

Om 606 Top Mounted Intercooler

Om 606 Top Mounted Intercooler

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

zeeman
Holset

07-24-2021, 02:35 PM #1
Any suggestions on a top mounted intercooler on a OM 606 ? Any one done one with an electric fan ?
zeeman
07-24-2021, 02:35 PM #1

Any suggestions on a top mounted intercooler on a OM 606 ? Any one done one with an electric fan ?

vica153
GT2256V

07-27-2021, 03:45 PM #2
Don't. That would be my suggestion.  As a lifelong Subaru addict, I am quite familiar with top mounted intercoolers (TMIC) and I would never use one instead of a front mounted intercooler (FMIC). At speeds under 45mph, or any sort of stop & go traffic, a TMIC is heating the air instead of cooling. That is the case even with a hood scoop, good ducting, and heat shields. Cruising down the highway at 70mph the TMIC will be doing some cooling, but a FMIC would be doing more cooling. Even at highway speeds, on a long uphill grade a TMIC is going to be struggling to keep up with a few minutes of boost.

A FMIC is going to be superior to a TMIC in all situations. People like to say the added piping adds turbo lag, but that difference isn't actually perceptible and the improved cooling from the FMIC more than compensates for any increase in pressure drop.

If you don't have room for a FMIC, then there is always the air to water intercooler (AWIC) option. Good intercooling, probably shorter piping than a FMIC, and the front heat exchanger can be pretty thin. Though some OEM truck FMIC that are quite thin too.  Obviously an AWIC has the added hassle of wiring up a water pump, but that is probably easier than fitting a hood scoop, ducting, and heatshielding.
This post was last modified: 07-28-2021, 12:21 PM by vica153.
vica153
07-27-2021, 03:45 PM #2

Don't. That would be my suggestion.  As a lifelong Subaru addict, I am quite familiar with top mounted intercoolers (TMIC) and I would never use one instead of a front mounted intercooler (FMIC). At speeds under 45mph, or any sort of stop & go traffic, a TMIC is heating the air instead of cooling. That is the case even with a hood scoop, good ducting, and heat shields. Cruising down the highway at 70mph the TMIC will be doing some cooling, but a FMIC would be doing more cooling. Even at highway speeds, on a long uphill grade a TMIC is going to be struggling to keep up with a few minutes of boost.

A FMIC is going to be superior to a TMIC in all situations. People like to say the added piping adds turbo lag, but that difference isn't actually perceptible and the improved cooling from the FMIC more than compensates for any increase in pressure drop.

If you don't have room for a FMIC, then there is always the air to water intercooler (AWIC) option. Good intercooling, probably shorter piping than a FMIC, and the front heat exchanger can be pretty thin. Though some OEM truck FMIC that are quite thin too.  Obviously an AWIC has the added hassle of wiring up a water pump, but that is probably easier than fitting a hood scoop, ducting, and heatshielding.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average