STD Tuning Engine post-accident repair ... what should i look for?

post-accident repair ... what should i look for?

post-accident repair ... what should i look for?

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

300SD_KY
super turbo diesel

05-24-2013, 02:06 PM #1
Back in January 2013, a nice granny in a white 90s Buick caused a front-end collision ... she pulled in front of me ... I was doing 30ish at the time.

4 months, 2 donor cars later ...

I got the call that my car, a 1979 300SD is ready to go.

New radiator, AC, hood & hardware, grill, bumper, etc ...

The one thing that they missed was a cracked driver side door handle ... found out b/c I couldn't lock the doors

They're fixing that now ...

When I went for a test drive, the brakes were shuddering a little bit (4 months of no use?), and the steering seemed slushier than I remember ...

Anything else that I should look for or ask about?
300SD_KY
05-24-2013, 02:06 PM #1

Back in January 2013, a nice granny in a white 90s Buick caused a front-end collision ... she pulled in front of me ... I was doing 30ish at the time.

4 months, 2 donor cars later ...

I got the call that my car, a 1979 300SD is ready to go.

New radiator, AC, hood & hardware, grill, bumper, etc ...

The one thing that they missed was a cracked driver side door handle ... found out b/c I couldn't lock the doors

They're fixing that now ...

When I went for a test drive, the brakes were shuddering a little bit (4 months of no use?), and the steering seemed slushier than I remember ...

Anything else that I should look for or ask about?

bd1308
Naturally-aspirated

05-28-2013, 03:23 PM #2
It more-or-less depends on the amount and where the damage was. You may, depending on replacment of parts, need an alignment or something to correct for slight geometric changes in the body as a whole if damage was that severe.

I sent you a PM too if your local....
bd1308
05-28-2013, 03:23 PM #2

It more-or-less depends on the amount and where the damage was. You may, depending on replacment of parts, need an alignment or something to correct for slight geometric changes in the body as a whole if damage was that severe.

I sent you a PM too if your local....

300SD_KY
super turbo diesel

06-13-2013, 09:22 PM #3
turns out the slight shudder was a worn out steering coupling.

A $150 part + a few hours with the world's kindest & ablest mechanic: Will at TBC Motors in Louisville, behind Clifton Pizza.

The shop that did the 4 months worth of body work couldn't quite locate the shudder. Glad it's gone.
300SD_KY
06-13-2013, 09:22 PM #3

turns out the slight shudder was a worn out steering coupling.

A $150 part + a few hours with the world's kindest & ablest mechanic: Will at TBC Motors in Louisville, behind Clifton Pizza.

The shop that did the 4 months worth of body work couldn't quite locate the shudder. Glad it's gone.

06-15-2013, 01:10 AM #4
I'd think about a good cavity preservation. No doubt the accident caused some microscopic tears in the underseal & seam sealing - which over time will cause rott. Seen it on so many repaired accident cars - including mine.

'88 300CD Turbo Coupé - OM603
DiseaselWeasel
06-15-2013, 01:10 AM #4

I'd think about a good cavity preservation. No doubt the accident caused some microscopic tears in the underseal & seam sealing - which over time will cause rott. Seen it on so many repaired accident cars - including mine.

'88 300CD Turbo Coupé - OM603

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average