STD Tuning Engine W210 OM606 cluster and mechanical IP

W210 OM606 cluster and mechanical IP

W210 OM606 cluster and mechanical IP

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

syche
Naturally-aspirated

05-14-2013, 05:33 AM #1
Hi All.

I would like to know if some of you managed to get the original MB cluster from the W210 (electronic) to work with an mechanical injection pump conversion.

Since the G350 td are getting harder to find in Europe, i am leaning to a G300 td with OM606 and it has an electronic cluster.
Plan is to switch to stand alone gearbox controller and mechanical IP, but i still want to be able to use the MB cluster.
Do any of you made this work? what does it takes to make it happen? Will the engine and gearbox ECU will throw codes that can't be "bypassed" and light up the cluster Christmas tree?

Else i will have to switch the all dash top to an older version with gear type km counter...that would be shame.

Thanks for your inputsSmile
syche
05-14-2013, 05:33 AM #1

Hi All.

I would like to know if some of you managed to get the original MB cluster from the W210 (electronic) to work with an mechanical injection pump conversion.

Since the G350 td are getting harder to find in Europe, i am leaning to a G300 td with OM606 and it has an electronic cluster.
Plan is to switch to stand alone gearbox controller and mechanical IP, but i still want to be able to use the MB cluster.
Do any of you made this work? what does it takes to make it happen? Will the engine and gearbox ECU will throw codes that can't be "bypassed" and light up the cluster Christmas tree?

Else i will have to switch the all dash top to an older version with gear type km counter...that would be shame.

Eric78
GT2559V

05-14-2013, 06:04 AM #2
(05-14-2013, 05:33 AM)syche Hi All.

Instrument cluster you mean? It takes the speedometer reading from the gearbox, the tachometer signal I'm pretty sure comes off the back of the alternator, I don't think having mechanical injection pump should affect the instrument cluster, you will need a stand alone controller for the gearbox though.
Eric78
05-14-2013, 06:04 AM #2

(05-14-2013, 05:33 AM)syche Hi All.

Instrument cluster you mean? It takes the speedometer reading from the gearbox, the tachometer signal I'm pretty sure comes off the back of the alternator, I don't think having mechanical injection pump should affect the instrument cluster, you will need a stand alone controller for the gearbox though.

syche
Naturally-aspirated

05-14-2013, 07:19 AM #3
Hi Eric,

Yes i was talking about the instrument cluster. I don't know if it get it's signals from the engine/gearbox ECU or if it is kind of in parallel to it.

If in parallel the only thing missing would be the engine check light and other reading from the on board computer, which i don't care as long as the Odo and partial meters work as well as all the gauges.

Gearbox will be managed by one of ole's standalone system of course.
syche
05-14-2013, 07:19 AM #3

Hi Eric,

Yes i was talking about the instrument cluster. I don't know if it get it's signals from the engine/gearbox ECU or if it is kind of in parallel to it.

If in parallel the only thing missing would be the engine check light and other reading from the on board computer, which i don't care as long as the Odo and partial meters work as well as all the gauges.

Gearbox will be managed by one of ole's standalone system of course.

Grecy
GTA2056V

05-14-2013, 04:42 PM #4
Hi Syche,

Sorry to hijack your thread, I hope you don't mind.

I'm looking at the OM606 turbo (mechanical) as a swap candidate for a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited.
The more I think about it, the more obvious it becomes this will be similar to a G300 in terms of aerodynamics, weight, 4x4, etc.

I have a bunch of questions about the G300, and I'm hoping you can point me in the direction of the best G wagon forum online where I might find some answers?

I'm very interested to know things like:
What manual transmissions were available? (have people swapped in others?)
How was the engine geared? (rpm at 100km/h for example)
What kind of economy can be expected from the G300 with a manual?
Has anyone tried re-gearing to get better economy?

Thanks very much, good luck with your project,

-Dan
Grecy
05-14-2013, 04:42 PM #4

Hi Syche,

Sorry to hijack your thread, I hope you don't mind.

I'm looking at the OM606 turbo (mechanical) as a swap candidate for a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited.
The more I think about it, the more obvious it becomes this will be similar to a G300 in terms of aerodynamics, weight, 4x4, etc.

I have a bunch of questions about the G300, and I'm hoping you can point me in the direction of the best G wagon forum online where I might find some answers?

I'm very interested to know things like:
What manual transmissions were available? (have people swapped in others?)
How was the engine geared? (rpm at 100km/h for example)
What kind of economy can be expected from the G300 with a manual?
Has anyone tried re-gearing to get better economy?

Thanks very much, good luck with your project,

-Dan

syche
Naturally-aspirated

05-14-2013, 09:48 PM #5
Hi Dan.

As far as i know the OM606 G300 only came in automatic and had a rather short axle ratio. 4.875:1, while the 350 td had 4.11:1. The reasult is even witht eh 5 gear from the 722.6 on the G300, the fuel consumption is quite high, looking at 14l+/100km, in general in europe.

One guy recently did a 606 conversion in a 350 td but using the 5 speed auto from the 606. With the long axle ratio of the 350, he report a fairly good fuel consumption http://www.clubgwagen.com/forum/viewtopi...=18&t=2821.

I have see threads i think on the UK G forum, of guys using mercedes 220CDI behind the 606 and that was successful. How ever, if you are more in offroad and rockcrawling you can look at the van gearboxes, sprinter vans, the first gears are shorter usually.

As far as gearing, it all depend what cruise speed you want, on my case i want to be able to cruise 120/130km/h with the 5 speed auto. The 4:11 seems ok with factory tires, but with bigger tires, the best would be 4.37:1 for me

I hope this helps
syche
05-14-2013, 09:48 PM #5

Hi Dan.

As far as i know the OM606 G300 only came in automatic and had a rather short axle ratio. 4.875:1, while the 350 td had 4.11:1. The reasult is even witht eh 5 gear from the 722.6 on the G300, the fuel consumption is quite high, looking at 14l+/100km, in general in europe.

One guy recently did a 606 conversion in a 350 td but using the 5 speed auto from the 606. With the long axle ratio of the 350, he report a fairly good fuel consumption http://www.clubgwagen.com/forum/viewtopi...=18&t=2821.

I have see threads i think on the UK G forum, of guys using mercedes 220CDI behind the 606 and that was successful. How ever, if you are more in offroad and rockcrawling you can look at the van gearboxes, sprinter vans, the first gears are shorter usually.

As far as gearing, it all depend what cruise speed you want, on my case i want to be able to cruise 120/130km/h with the 5 speed auto. The 4:11 seems ok with factory tires, but with bigger tires, the best would be 4.37:1 for me

I hope this helps

Grecy
GTA2056V

05-15-2013, 12:34 PM #6
Thanks very much Syche,

I spent a ton of time yesterday and came across some really good information.

This guy put a 6 speed behind a OM606 in a G-Wagon, and gets 25mpg daily, could be 30 if he kept his foot out of it.
It's geared to run around 3000rpm at 70mph, though he thinks it easily has the torque to move the G at those speeds at something like 1800rpm. It would be interesting to change the gearing to make that happen.
http://www.clubgwagen.com/forum/viewtopi...422#p18422

This guy is working on exactly the same thing. He's just bought a 6 speed and is working through which clutch, etc. to buy.
http://www.clubgwagen.com/forum/viewtopi...=18&t=3999

It sounds like if I very carefully buy the right MB 6 speed, it will bolt directly to the OM606 and get me what I need.

Thanks again, I'm going to keep reading around and learning Smile

-Dan
This post was last modified: 05-15-2013, 12:36 PM by Grecy.
Grecy
05-15-2013, 12:34 PM #6

Thanks very much Syche,

I spent a ton of time yesterday and came across some really good information.

This guy put a 6 speed behind a OM606 in a G-Wagon, and gets 25mpg daily, could be 30 if he kept his foot out of it.
It's geared to run around 3000rpm at 70mph, though he thinks it easily has the torque to move the G at those speeds at something like 1800rpm. It would be interesting to change the gearing to make that happen.
http://www.clubgwagen.com/forum/viewtopi...422#p18422

This guy is working on exactly the same thing. He's just bought a 6 speed and is working through which clutch, etc. to buy.
http://www.clubgwagen.com/forum/viewtopi...=18&t=3999

It sounds like if I very carefully buy the right MB 6 speed, it will bolt directly to the OM606 and get me what I need.

Thanks again, I'm going to keep reading around and learning Smile

-Dan

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average