STD Tuning Engine 617 remote filter adapter question

617 remote filter adapter question

617 remote filter adapter question

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

NeoAnderson
Who farted???

05-06-2013, 11:24 AM #1
Hey there. Ive put a 617 into my jeep TJ and pluckin away at the smaller stuff to get it runnin.

I made my own remote oil filter adapter plate and want to tap a hole for the turbo like what koch has done but near as i can tell theres no oil flowing where they placed the hole.  Its just a dead cavity behind it in the engine block.Am i missing something? Did they slot the backside of the adapter from one of the 1/2" holes to the turbo feed hole? I think i might do that instead of teeing off a main line.

Opinions?
NeoAnderson
05-06-2013, 11:24 AM #1

Hey there. Ive put a 617 into my jeep TJ and pluckin away at the smaller stuff to get it runnin.

I made my own remote oil filter adapter plate and want to tap a hole for the turbo like what koch has done but near as i can tell theres no oil flowing where they placed the hole.  Its just a dead cavity behind it in the engine block.Am i missing something? Did they slot the backside of the adapter from one of the 1/2" holes to the turbo feed hole? I think i might do that instead of teeing off a main line.

Opinions?

raysorenson
Superturbo

05-06-2013, 01:19 PM #2
I'm doing a similar project myself, but I've opted to cut the top of the oil filter housing off and leave the bottom part with all the goodies in it bolted to the block.

The stock housing sends pressurized oil downstream of the filter to the turbo, so if you want to do it like MB did, I'd tee into the return line from the oil filter.

On your adapter plate, the lower, centered hole will be the supply from the oil pump and the hole to the upper left will be pressurized by oil coming from the filter. You shouldn't expect oil to be coming back out of the block on the upper LH hole. Is that what you're asking?
raysorenson
05-06-2013, 01:19 PM #2

I'm doing a similar project myself, but I've opted to cut the top of the oil filter housing off and leave the bottom part with all the goodies in it bolted to the block.

The stock housing sends pressurized oil downstream of the filter to the turbo, so if you want to do it like MB did, I'd tee into the return line from the oil filter.

On your adapter plate, the lower, centered hole will be the supply from the oil pump and the hole to the upper left will be pressurized by oil coming from the filter. You shouldn't expect oil to be coming back out of the block on the upper LH hole. Is that what you're asking?

NeoAnderson
Who farted???

05-06-2013, 08:59 PM #3
(05-06-2013, 01:19 PM)raysorenson I'm doing a similar project myself, but I've opted to cut the top of the oil filter housing off and leave the bottom part with all the goodies in it bolted to the block.

On my adapter plate i was referring to another hole being drilled and tapped to the right of the upper left hole. The problem i foresee with it is that there is no oil behind it. Its just a small cavern in the block. This is how koch enterprises has there plates and i wondered how they made it work.

I like your idea better anyways and may make that work if its easy enough to adapt a common spin on filter.
NeoAnderson
05-06-2013, 08:59 PM #3

(05-06-2013, 01:19 PM)raysorenson I'm doing a similar project myself, but I've opted to cut the top of the oil filter housing off and leave the bottom part with all the goodies in it bolted to the block.

On my adapter plate i was referring to another hole being drilled and tapped to the right of the upper left hole. The problem i foresee with it is that there is no oil behind it. Its just a small cavern in the block. This is how koch enterprises has there plates and i wondered how they made it work.

I like your idea better anyways and may make that work if its easy enough to adapt a common spin on filter.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average