STD Tuning Drivetrain 617 -> 606A (in a Gelandewagen)

617 -> 606A (in a Gelandewagen)

617 -> 606A (in a Gelandewagen)

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Suppatime
Naturally-aspirated

04-30-2013, 08:54 PM #1
Hello all,

I've been lurking for a bit and the search button hasn't done me as much good as I'd hoped.

Though I'm going off the assumption most of your conversions are in sedans or wagons, I was wondering if you could help me troubleshoot my project:

I recently purchased a 1980 Mercedes 300GD short wheelbase, complete with the infamous N/A 617 and 4-speed manual transmission.

The engine is a workhorse, but not quite doing what I want. Hills, even on the street, are a bit of a challenge unless it's screaming or I'm in 4WD low. 88 hp, 125 ft-lbs and 18.9 mpg isn't cutting it for me.

So before the rest of my restoration commences, I've picked up the 606A with the 603 injection pump retrofitted and a W463 G-wagen-specific Getrag 5-speed manual. My next step is to acquire a 5-speed shifter from the 190E to bolt in and have custom shifter linkages made (I'll be selling my 617/4-speed as a package for any other G owners who want to convert from gas.

But where I'm stuck is the flywheel, bolts and clutch. As we never got a manual transmission in the E-class 300D in the US, I have no way of sourcing the proper parts. And I've read horror stories of 601, 603 and Sprinter clutches and flywheels not working well.

I'm aware the flywheel needs to be 240mm and am considering getting one custom made. But this still leaves me clueless as to a single-disc clutch that will match to my driveshaft.

Any input here is greatly appreciated... if you have EPC numbers or links to any of the German or UK eBay sites, that would be awesome.

Pictures of the swap to come in the next month or so!

1980 Mercedes Benz 300GD (Gelandewagen)

OM617 n/a
4-speed manual
Front/Rear hydraulic lockers
Suppatime
04-30-2013, 08:54 PM #1

Hello all,

I've been lurking for a bit and the search button hasn't done me as much good as I'd hoped.

Though I'm going off the assumption most of your conversions are in sedans or wagons, I was wondering if you could help me troubleshoot my project:

I recently purchased a 1980 Mercedes 300GD short wheelbase, complete with the infamous N/A 617 and 4-speed manual transmission.

The engine is a workhorse, but not quite doing what I want. Hills, even on the street, are a bit of a challenge unless it's screaming or I'm in 4WD low. 88 hp, 125 ft-lbs and 18.9 mpg isn't cutting it for me.

So before the rest of my restoration commences, I've picked up the 606A with the 603 injection pump retrofitted and a W463 G-wagen-specific Getrag 5-speed manual. My next step is to acquire a 5-speed shifter from the 190E to bolt in and have custom shifter linkages made (I'll be selling my 617/4-speed as a package for any other G owners who want to convert from gas.

But where I'm stuck is the flywheel, bolts and clutch. As we never got a manual transmission in the E-class 300D in the US, I have no way of sourcing the proper parts. And I've read horror stories of 601, 603 and Sprinter clutches and flywheels not working well.

I'm aware the flywheel needs to be 240mm and am considering getting one custom made. But this still leaves me clueless as to a single-disc clutch that will match to my driveshaft.

Any input here is greatly appreciated... if you have EPC numbers or links to any of the German or UK eBay sites, that would be awesome.

Pictures of the swap to come in the next month or so!

OM617 n/a
4-speed manual

fcp
GTA2056V

05-01-2013, 11:38 AM #2
I don't think there were many solid flywheel evhicles in the UK/ EU either - most were dual mass rubbish.

You should be able to get a solid flywheel conversion from a sprinter OK though - 240mm, Vario among others make them; there's not really much to go wrong. The correct clutch plate for that gearbox should be easy to find if you know the # of the gearbox.

"Moderation is a fatal thing. Nothing succeeds like excess." Oscar Wilde
fcp
05-01-2013, 11:38 AM #2

I don't think there were many solid flywheel evhicles in the UK/ EU either - most were dual mass rubbish.

You should be able to get a solid flywheel conversion from a sprinter OK though - 240mm, Vario among others make them; there's not really much to go wrong. The correct clutch plate for that gearbox should be easy to find if you know the # of the gearbox.

"Moderation is a fatal thing. Nothing succeeds like excess." Oscar Wilde

willbhere4u
Six in a row make her go!

05-01-2013, 04:05 PM #3
I got a flywheel/clutch kit off ebay.co.uk for a sprinter 2.2 cdi it has a 9.5in disc. and is a single mass flywheel to replace the original dual mass fly wheel so it has the pilot bearing in it. here are some photos on my build page
http://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/thre...age-2.html

You get the benefit of using a single mass flywheel with a dual mass transmission I will be running a 6spd manual

1987 300SDL 6spd manual om606.962 swap project
1985 300td euro 5spd wagon running
willbhere4u
05-01-2013, 04:05 PM #3

I got a flywheel/clutch kit off ebay.co.uk for a sprinter 2.2 cdi it has a 9.5in disc. and is a single mass flywheel to replace the original dual mass fly wheel so it has the pilot bearing in it. here are some photos on my build page

You get the benefit of using a single mass flywheel with a dual mass transmission I will be running a 6spd manual

1987 300SDL 6spd manual om606.962 swap project
1985 300td euro 5spd wagon running

Suppatime
Naturally-aspirated

05-03-2013, 02:19 PM #4
(05-01-2013, 11:38 AM)fcp I don't think there were many solid flywheel evhicles in the UK/ EU either - most were dual mass rubbish.

This is the issue I seem to be running into.

(05-01-2013, 11:38 AM)fcp You should be able to get a solid flywheel conversion from a sprinter OK though - 240mm, Vario among others make them; there's not really much to go wrong. The correct clutch plate for that gearbox should be easy to find if you know the # of the gearbox.

I don't yet have the number of the gearbox, other than: A 463 260 03 00 80

It's a Getrag for the Gelandewagen. Specifically the W463, but as we share chassis, it will bolt up to the W460 with minimal issues.

All I know at this point is that it likely has the .799 5th gear and has the following shift pattern:

* * 1 3 5
* R 2 4

Getting this to matte to a 606A that came with an auto trans is where I'm struggling at the moment.

(05-01-2013, 04:05 PM)willbhere4u I got a flywheel/clutch kit off ebay.co.uk for a sprinter 2.2 cdi it has a 9.5in disc. and is a single mass flywheel to replace the original dual mass fly wheel so it has the pilot bearing in it. here are some photos on my build page

Thank you for this. I've been checking eBay UK more for this than eBay Germany. Less of a language barrier.

How does the 9.5" disc hold up against the torque of the 606A? I've read that there aren't any issues through the 603, but I haven't seen much about the 606A (specifically, I don't think there's many people doing my specific swap).

What is the benefit of the single-mass flywheel and dual-mass transmission? Forgive my novice... everything I've ever known transmission wise comes from my Dad, and back in his day, everything was single-mass.
This post was last modified: 05-03-2013, 02:27 PM by Suppatime.

OM617 n/a
4-speed manual
Suppatime
05-03-2013, 02:19 PM #4

(05-01-2013, 11:38 AM)fcp I don't think there were many solid flywheel evhicles in the UK/ EU either - most were dual mass rubbish.

This is the issue I seem to be running into.

(05-01-2013, 11:38 AM)fcp You should be able to get a solid flywheel conversion from a sprinter OK though - 240mm, Vario among others make them; there's not really much to go wrong. The correct clutch plate for that gearbox should be easy to find if you know the # of the gearbox.

I don't yet have the number of the gearbox, other than: A 463 260 03 00 80

It's a Getrag for the Gelandewagen. Specifically the W463, but as we share chassis, it will bolt up to the W460 with minimal issues.

All I know at this point is that it likely has the .799 5th gear and has the following shift pattern:

* * 1 3 5
* R 2 4

Getting this to matte to a 606A that came with an auto trans is where I'm struggling at the moment.

(05-01-2013, 04:05 PM)willbhere4u I got a flywheel/clutch kit off ebay.co.uk for a sprinter 2.2 cdi it has a 9.5in disc. and is a single mass flywheel to replace the original dual mass fly wheel so it has the pilot bearing in it. here are some photos on my build page

Thank you for this. I've been checking eBay UK more for this than eBay Germany. Less of a language barrier.

How does the 9.5" disc hold up against the torque of the 606A? I've read that there aren't any issues through the 603, but I haven't seen much about the 606A (specifically, I don't think there's many people doing my specific swap).

What is the benefit of the single-mass flywheel and dual-mass transmission? Forgive my novice... everything I've ever known transmission wise comes from my Dad, and back in his day, everything was single-mass.

OM617 n/a
4-speed manual

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average