STD Tuning Engine Basic stuff

Basic stuff

Basic stuff

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

04-30-2013, 01:22 AM #1
Hey,

I'd like to introduce myself as I'm new here. My name is Jake I have an 87 190 om602 and an 85' cosworth non NAM. Most of my money goes to restoring the cossie so my questions for the diesel are simple. I'm a diesel mechanic by trade I'm just unfamiliar with this engine and don't have the money to become familiar with out help lol.

With a stock pump turned up all the way (safely) and a bigger charger(if needed/possible with fuel from pump) how much power would I be looking at. Im not spending 1500-3 grand on pump work I dont have the money for that so all I'm trying to do is make it not so slow. With my Dodge cummins I had it is a common mod to adjust the fuel plate, inectors and DV's(delivery valves) for relativity cheap power mods without opening the pump. Can this be done with a M-pump(the DV's I'm pretty sure from what ive read there is no fuel plate)?

I have found a 5 speed conversion that I'm waiting to hear back from the owner if it is still available so I'm sure that will help with pick up speed seeing as i choose the gears. Any thing else will be a great help.

Thanks
Jacob
This post was last modified: 04-30-2013, 01:24 AM by Sleek~silver602.
Sleek~silver602
04-30-2013, 01:22 AM #1

Hey,

I'd like to introduce myself as I'm new here. My name is Jake I have an 87 190 om602 and an 85' cosworth non NAM. Most of my money goes to restoring the cossie so my questions for the diesel are simple. I'm a diesel mechanic by trade I'm just unfamiliar with this engine and don't have the money to become familiar with out help lol.

With a stock pump turned up all the way (safely) and a bigger charger(if needed/possible with fuel from pump) how much power would I be looking at. Im not spending 1500-3 grand on pump work I dont have the money for that so all I'm trying to do is make it not so slow. With my Dodge cummins I had it is a common mod to adjust the fuel plate, inectors and DV's(delivery valves) for relativity cheap power mods without opening the pump. Can this be done with a M-pump(the DV's I'm pretty sure from what ive read there is no fuel plate)?

I have found a 5 speed conversion that I'm waiting to hear back from the owner if it is still available so I'm sure that will help with pick up speed seeing as i choose the gears. Any thing else will be a great help.

Thanks
Jacob

Simpler=Better
PORTED HEAD

04-30-2013, 08:15 AM #2
The cummins pumps can be cranked up much higher than the M pump (dollar for dollar)

Tweaking the pump (I'm assuming OM616's guide may still apply here) can net you approximately 20%, although that's a rough guesstimate-I've never tweaked one or dyno'd one.

You can get more power/efficiency with the typical hotrodder tricks, although the merc motors are pretty well done from the factory (the 60Xs from what I've heard. There were definite improvements to be made inside my 617)

For the mercs I haven't seen any real bigger injectors, only rumors of extrude honing. If you mess with the DVs you get a longer injection, which sends temps through the roof (but gives you powah!)

I don't want to discourage you, just warn you that not all DI tricks carry over to the IDI world Smile Hopefully someone will chime in that knows more about the 602 to actually help you.
This post was last modified: 04-30-2013, 08:18 AM by Simpler=Better.

Newbie-read this: Cheap Tricks
617.952-220k-Getting built up
larsalan I guess I need to look at this stupid ass drip shit. What you have to like mess with those elements on the pump? What a fucking hassle. then use some wire to hold the throttle open or some shit?
Simpler=Better
04-30-2013, 08:15 AM #2

The cummins pumps can be cranked up much higher than the M pump (dollar for dollar)

Tweaking the pump (I'm assuming OM616's guide may still apply here) can net you approximately 20%, although that's a rough guesstimate-I've never tweaked one or dyno'd one.

You can get more power/efficiency with the typical hotrodder tricks, although the merc motors are pretty well done from the factory (the 60Xs from what I've heard. There were definite improvements to be made inside my 617)

For the mercs I haven't seen any real bigger injectors, only rumors of extrude honing. If you mess with the DVs you get a longer injection, which sends temps through the roof (but gives you powah!)

I don't want to discourage you, just warn you that not all DI tricks carry over to the IDI world Smile Hopefully someone will chime in that knows more about the 602 to actually help you.

Newbie-read this: Cheap Tricks
617.952-220k-Getting built up
larsalan I guess I need to look at this stupid ass drip shit. What you have to like mess with those elements on the pump? What a fucking hassle. then use some wire to hold the throttle open or some shit?

OM616
10mm MW

04-30-2013, 11:11 AM #3
(04-30-2013, 08:15 AM)Simpler=Better Tweaking the pump (I'm assuming OM616's guide may still apply here)

Nope... He has a M pump, My doc is for the MW pump only.
OM616
04-30-2013, 11:11 AM #3

(04-30-2013, 08:15 AM)Simpler=Better Tweaking the pump (I'm assuming OM616's guide may still apply here)

Nope... He has a M pump, My doc is for the MW pump only.

MFSuper90
Budget Builder

05-01-2013, 01:42 PM #4
Cummins are lucky, they came with a oversized 12mm P7100. So fuel was never an issue, but the little mercs are not so lucky. 5.5mm or maybe 6?
Is the 602 turbo'd? I'm not familiar with that engine

'82 300D -3" straight pipe, ALDA deleted, 3in1 glowshift gauge, HX30, egr-less manifold, A/W intercooler Big Grin
'14 Ram 6.7l cummins -G56 handshaker, wishing it was deleted         
MFSuper90
05-01-2013, 01:42 PM #4

Cummins are lucky, they came with a oversized 12mm P7100. So fuel was never an issue, but the little mercs are not so lucky. 5.5mm or maybe 6?
Is the 602 turbo'd? I'm not familiar with that engine

'82 300D -3" straight pipe, ALDA deleted, 3in1 glowshift gauge, HX30, egr-less manifold, A/W intercooler Big Grin
'14 Ram 6.7l cummins -G56 handshaker, wishing it was deleted         

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average