WTS Feeler manual steering

WTS Feeler manual steering

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

lgreeley83
Mr. Rumbles

04-13-2013, 12:12 PM #1
If i have access to manual steering who wants one? w123 chassis

Cost 170$ shipped.

that would only be for the box, my supplier hasnt got the shaft right yet.
also expect it to need seals, the last one i got was pretty leaky.

" straighten up that star on the grill, assholes."

lgreeley83
04-13-2013, 12:12 PM #1

If i have access to manual steering who wants one? w123 chassis

Cost 170$ shipped.

that would only be for the box, my supplier hasnt got the shaft right yet.
also expect it to need seals, the last one i got was pretty leaky.

Greazzer
Superturbo

04-13-2013, 04:08 PM #2
The lenghth of the lower steering shaft is noted in the FSM if someone had to make one.

Ninth Year Anniversary with STD on 1-9-2020

visit:  www.dieselfuelinjector.guru

Project 2018: Really get the car finished -- Turbo OM617 greater than 175 MPH goal.

RED W123 - left Germany as 240D in 1982.  Full AMG body kit less rear apron, 2:65LSD, five speed Getrag 717.400, manual steering, read leather interior, manual brake conversion, electric water pump (EWP), and a bunch of other goodies ...
Greazzer
04-13-2013, 04:08 PM #2

The lenghth of the lower steering shaft is noted in the FSM if someone had to make one.

Project 2018: Really get the car finished -- Turbo OM617 greater than 175 MPH goal.

RED W123 - left Germany as 240D in 1982.  Full AMG body kit less rear apron, 2:65LSD, five speed Getrag 717.400, manual steering, read leather interior, manual brake conversion, electric water pump (EWP), and a bunch of other goodies ...

lgreeley83
Mr. Rumbles

04-13-2013, 05:12 PM #3
That is right, Greazzer being the only other non power steering box owner I know, also only with it in a car, (mine is not in my car yet) he is the pro. There is a lower shaft length difference. I will probably have one modified for the application.

This is a short term offer. After 1 May i no longer have access. hahahahahahahahaha bye egypt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I digress, I know a rare and specific application. I ask you as a fellow hunter of stupid rare parts, internalize, question, tear your mind apart now, as to why you might want this. This isn't for me to make money, this is to get essential parts from Egypt to the US while im here. I don't want to buy ten of them if nobody wants them.

lgreeley83
04-13-2013, 05:12 PM #3

That is right, Greazzer being the only other non power steering box owner I know, also only with it in a car, (mine is not in my car yet) he is the pro. There is a lower shaft length difference. I will probably have one modified for the application.

This is a short term offer. After 1 May i no longer have access. hahahahahahahahaha bye egypt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I digress, I know a rare and specific application. I ask you as a fellow hunter of stupid rare parts, internalize, question, tear your mind apart now, as to why you might want this. This isn't for me to make money, this is to get essential parts from Egypt to the US while im here. I don't want to buy ten of them if nobody wants them.

Greazzer
Superturbo

04-13-2013, 07:35 PM #4
L-Man is 100% correct. Perhaps the rarest of the rare for the W123. Rarer than the AMG chin/air dam, rarer than Euro Headrests, Euro Bumpers, and the list goes on ...

Greazzer
04-13-2013, 07:35 PM #4

L-Man is 100% correct. Perhaps the rarest of the rare for the W123. Rarer than the AMG chin/air dam, rarer than Euro Headrests, Euro Bumpers, and the list goes on ...

lgreeley83
Mr. Rumbles

04-24-2013, 12:17 PM #5
Lol. I own 4 of them now.

lgreeley83
04-24-2013, 12:17 PM #5

Lol. I own 4 of them now.

Greazzer
Superturbo

04-24-2013, 12:22 PM #6
Did you get the shaft (LOL)? I just crack myself up sometimes ...

If so, I am game for a trade maybe ???

Greazzer
04-24-2013, 12:22 PM #6

Did you get the shaft (LOL)? I just crack myself up sometimes ...

If so, I am game for a trade maybe ???

lgreeley83
Mr. Rumbles

04-24-2013, 12:57 PM #7
Lol you already have one.

I got 4 shafts (what a party) but I think only one is correct. I will measure tomorrow. Did yours have any numbers on it that you remember? Anyhow I likely keep the shaft if correct. The extra shafts I will see if any machinists will have anything to do with them. That shaft is a pretty wobbly piece of metal. The wobbly good for an accident like you said but I don't think adding a little section would compromise the safety factor enough for concern. All that provided a good amount can still compress in the event of collision.

The 601 box seems a bit more robust than the 301. I have 2 of each. Only one seemed to have bad seals but than again, they could all be void of lubrication in the innards.

There are 2 on eBay right now in Europe going for over 400$ i'd hunt for it but am on my phone

I wonder where I could find seals.
This post was last modified: 04-24-2013, 01:00 PM by lgreeley83.

lgreeley83
04-24-2013, 12:57 PM #7

Lol you already have one.

I got 4 shafts (what a party) but I think only one is correct. I will measure tomorrow. Did yours have any numbers on it that you remember? Anyhow I likely keep the shaft if correct. The extra shafts I will see if any machinists will have anything to do with them. That shaft is a pretty wobbly piece of metal. The wobbly good for an accident like you said but I don't think adding a little section would compromise the safety factor enough for concern. All that provided a good amount can still compress in the event of collision.

The 601 box seems a bit more robust than the 301. I have 2 of each. Only one seemed to have bad seals but than again, they could all be void of lubrication in the innards.

There are 2 on eBay right now in Europe going for over 400$ i'd hunt for it but am on my phone

Greazzer
Superturbo

04-24-2013, 01:33 PM #8
There are only 2 lower steering shaft possibilities: the long and short of it ... so to speak. The longer one is for the manual box. The shorter one goes to a power steering set up.

I understood there were 2 boxes, one which had a tighter or more responsive steering geared ratio and the other not so much. I really don't know which one I got, but I am pretty sure it was made in 1979. Can you post some snappies of the two different boxes you got ?

Greazzer
04-24-2013, 01:33 PM #8

There are only 2 lower steering shaft possibilities: the long and short of it ... so to speak. The longer one is for the manual box. The shorter one goes to a power steering set up.

I understood there were 2 boxes, one which had a tighter or more responsive steering geared ratio and the other not so much. I really don't know which one I got, but I am pretty sure it was made in 1979. Can you post some snappies of the two different boxes you got ?

martureo
GTA2056V

04-25-2013, 11:28 AM #9
(04-24-2013, 12:57 PM)lgreeley83 Lol you already have one.

Seals for the manual box could be interesting. Many of them appear to be the same for the power steering box. But a few of them I couldn't find any information on and there is at least one I know that you'll need to make yourself. I've already checked the dealers, the Classic Center in California, the parts guys in Germany and all the old MB techs I know.

No luck.

You'll also need a special tool or two.

1983 300TD
1984 300D
1995 E300 (sold)
martureo
04-25-2013, 11:28 AM #9

(04-24-2013, 12:57 PM)lgreeley83 Lol you already have one.

Seals for the manual box could be interesting. Many of them appear to be the same for the power steering box. But a few of them I couldn't find any information on and there is at least one I know that you'll need to make yourself. I've already checked the dealers, the Classic Center in California, the parts guys in Germany and all the old MB techs I know.

No luck.

1983 300TD
1984 300D
1995 E300 (sold)

lgreeley83
Mr. Rumbles

04-25-2013, 11:55 AM #10
(04-25-2013, 11:28 AM)martureo Seals for the manual box could be interesting. Many of them appear to be the same for the power steering box. But a few of them I couldn't find any information on and there is at least one I know that you'll need to make yourself. I've already checked the dealers, the Classic Center in California, the parts guys in Germany and all the old MB techs I know.

No luck.

What about a whole rebuild kit? It would be nice to be able to completely refresh it for a from the factory feel. Bushings, seals, whatever else? I figure at a very minimum, taken apart and regreased.

What did you do to your greazzer?

lgreeley83
04-25-2013, 11:55 AM #10

(04-25-2013, 11:28 AM)martureo Seals for the manual box could be interesting. Many of them appear to be the same for the power steering box. But a few of them I couldn't find any information on and there is at least one I know that you'll need to make yourself. I've already checked the dealers, the Classic Center in California, the parts guys in Germany and all the old MB techs I know.

No luck.

What about a whole rebuild kit? It would be nice to be able to completely refresh it for a from the factory feel. Bushings, seals, whatever else? I figure at a very minimum, taken apart and regreased.

Greazzer
Superturbo

04-25-2013, 01:13 PM #11
I just cleaned up mine -- exterior -- got a good chassis black paint. Then, I drained out the oil which looked like new. Then, I just added Mobil 1 ATF synthetic. What a mess maker that was. The hole is tiny, but I filled it up to the point where I could not see any of the internals. I did not fill it all the way up, however. Steers incredibly nice. As I indicated somewhere on the forums, once you hit 20 or 30 miles per hour, it is just like the power steering. Even sitting absolutely still is not that horrible as some proclaimed ! Once you are over 30-ish, I actually like it much better than power steering. I learned from my mistakes that I would fill it up with ATF while on the bench. If you need to add more, use a big syringe !

Greazzer
04-25-2013, 01:13 PM #11

I just cleaned up mine -- exterior -- got a good chassis black paint. Then, I drained out the oil which looked like new. Then, I just added Mobil 1 ATF synthetic. What a mess maker that was. The hole is tiny, but I filled it up to the point where I could not see any of the internals. I did not fill it all the way up, however. Steers incredibly nice. As I indicated somewhere on the forums, once you hit 20 or 30 miles per hour, it is just like the power steering. Even sitting absolutely still is not that horrible as some proclaimed ! Once you are over 30-ish, I actually like it much better than power steering. I learned from my mistakes that I would fill it up with ATF while on the bench. If you need to add more, use a big syringe !

martureo
GTA2056V

04-26-2013, 09:14 AM #12
(04-25-2013, 11:55 AM)lgreeley83 What about a whole rebuild kit? It would be nice to be able to completely refresh it for a from the factory feel. Bushings, seals, whatever else? I figure at a very minimum, taken apart and regreased.

I rebuild and sell p/s boxes. Greazzer came to me with the idea of rebuilding/resealing his manual awhile back.

I hunted everywhere for seals and the special tools. I couldn't get more than a few seals from MB. Everything else I was going to have to buy individually or make.

You're going to need an ~45mm (IIRC) recessed center octagonal socket and a ~35mm (IIRC) socket to disassemble and adjust it.

If you do end up getting it apart, even just partially, would you mind taking pictures for me?

1983 300TD
1984 300D
1995 E300 (sold)
martureo
04-26-2013, 09:14 AM #12

(04-25-2013, 11:55 AM)lgreeley83 What about a whole rebuild kit? It would be nice to be able to completely refresh it for a from the factory feel. Bushings, seals, whatever else? I figure at a very minimum, taken apart and regreased.

I rebuild and sell p/s boxes. Greazzer came to me with the idea of rebuilding/resealing his manual awhile back.

I hunted everywhere for seals and the special tools. I couldn't get more than a few seals from MB. Everything else I was going to have to buy individually or make.

You're going to need an ~45mm (IIRC) recessed center octagonal socket and a ~35mm (IIRC) socket to disassemble and adjust it.

If you do end up getting it apart, even just partially, would you mind taking pictures for me?

1983 300TD
1984 300D
1995 E300 (sold)

lgreeley83
Mr. Rumbles

04-26-2013, 10:41 AM #13
I imagine I will take at least one of them apart for kicks and giggles. Moving the pitman arm on them they all seem to have the same amount of resistance. They seem to be all ok aside from the obvious need for seals on one of them.

I will most definitely take pictures.

lgreeley83
04-26-2013, 10:41 AM #13

I imagine I will take at least one of them apart for kicks and giggles. Moving the pitman arm on them they all seem to have the same amount of resistance. They seem to be all ok aside from the obvious need for seals on one of them.

I will most definitely take pictures.

lgreeley83
Mr. Rumbles

06-08-2013, 06:54 PM #14
I'll take more pics again later, here is one. Oddly enough after refilling all four non of them seem to be leaking, hmm? I think they were all the same gear ratio but will do a more professional check on it later.

lgreeley83
06-08-2013, 06:54 PM #14

I'll take more pics again later, here is one. Oddly enough after refilling all four non of them seem to be leaking, hmm? I think they were all the same gear ratio but will do a more professional check on it later.

bricktron
'77 240D

06-23-2013, 01:56 AM #15
congrats on your haul lgreeley, very interesting!@ have you driven with one of these yet?

english red rat rod 1977 240D, OM617.952 burning B99.9, iron 4-speed & 2.88 diff, 195/60/R14 on alloys, 5mph bumpers, battery in the trunk, 25mm swaybar, 4x ECE H4 lamps, double brake lamps, deleted sunroof, export zoll & california blue plates

bricktron
06-23-2013, 01:56 AM #15

congrats on your haul lgreeley, very interesting!@ have you driven with one of these yet?

english red rat rod 1977 240D, OM617.952 burning B99.9, iron 4-speed & 2.88 diff, 195/60/R14 on alloys, 5mph bumpers, battery in the trunk, 25mm swaybar, 4x ECE H4 lamps, double brake lamps, deleted sunroof, export zoll & california blue plates

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average