STD Tuning Engine 1981 300CD - How about some power?

1981 300CD - How about some power?

1981 300CD - How about some power?

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Ghaniba
Naturally-aspirated

06-24-2009, 11:04 AM #1
So, I've found myself a nice 300CD in the past couple of weeks. It's in great condition, just over 180k miles. It's a tad slow for my liking. What would YOU do?

Boost? Understanding the internals aren't MADE for the extra heat, I'd have to keep the pressure low, say, 4-6 pounds -- Would the bits from a turbo motor of similar years bolt up to my 617.912? Would any model stand out as the 'proper donor' ? I'd rather not build my own intake and exhaust manifolds...

If that's veto'd AND a bad idea, what about a swap? Is there a donor motor that would just slide right in with minimal headaches? What about trans? I have the 4spd Auto, shifts very nice but I'd also question it's ability to handle real power, if it was designed for 88hp...

Thoughts?

(Bare with me as I'm new to the M-B world, but intimately understanding of 80's Saab Turbos/BMWs/general boosted applications.)

Thanks for any feedback folks!

--Ghan
Ghaniba
06-24-2009, 11:04 AM #1

So, I've found myself a nice 300CD in the past couple of weeks. It's in great condition, just over 180k miles. It's a tad slow for my liking. What would YOU do?

Boost? Understanding the internals aren't MADE for the extra heat, I'd have to keep the pressure low, say, 4-6 pounds -- Would the bits from a turbo motor of similar years bolt up to my 617.912? Would any model stand out as the 'proper donor' ? I'd rather not build my own intake and exhaust manifolds...

If that's veto'd AND a bad idea, what about a swap? Is there a donor motor that would just slide right in with minimal headaches? What about trans? I have the 4spd Auto, shifts very nice but I'd also question it's ability to handle real power, if it was designed for 88hp...

Thoughts?

(Bare with me as I'm new to the M-B world, but intimately understanding of 80's Saab Turbos/BMWs/general boosted applications.)

Thanks for any feedback folks!

--Ghan

ForcedInduction
Banned

06-24-2009, 03:21 PM #2
Any of the 82-85 300CD's would be a good donor for a swap. The 300D and TD turbo parts will work but the exhaust is too long since the CD has a shorter wheelbase. 78-85 300SD turbo parts will work too.

The best option would be to turn up the screw on the ADA 1/4-CCW and enjoy having a nice car. Smile
ForcedInduction
06-24-2009, 03:21 PM #2

Any of the 82-85 300CD's would be a good donor for a swap. The 300D and TD turbo parts will work but the exhaust is too long since the CD has a shorter wheelbase. 78-85 300SD turbo parts will work too.

The best option would be to turn up the screw on the ADA 1/4-CCW and enjoy having a nice car. Smile

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average