STD Tuning Engine aftermarket tach question

aftermarket tach question

aftermarket tach question

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

jenyus
GT2256V

03-25-2013, 02:12 PM #1
hey, i know this has been covered before but i didn't find any real solutions when i searched, but i definitely could have missed something.

has anyone done a successful aftermarket tach?

im wondering, why couldnt i put in a different alternator and use the w terminal from that to run the tach? most aftermarket tachs seem to run from the alternator. am i missing something?
jenyus
03-25-2013, 02:12 PM #1

hey, i know this has been covered before but i didn't find any real solutions when i searched, but i definitely could have missed something.

im wondering, why couldnt i put in a different alternator and use the w terminal from that to run the tach? most aftermarket tachs seem to run from the alternator. am i missing something?

Torkey
Dirty Diesel

03-25-2013, 02:29 PM #2
(03-25-2013, 02:12 PM)jenyus hey, i know this has been covered before but i didn't find any real solutions when i searched, but i definitely could have missed something.

I've used a couple different ones. Autometer and Depoe racing. They both use the alternator for a signal. The Autometer goes on the outside of the alternator. The Depoe racing requires a wire from inside the alternator but it has a shift indicator.
This post was last modified: 03-25-2013, 03:43 PM by Torkey.
Torkey
03-25-2013, 02:29 PM #2

(03-25-2013, 02:12 PM)jenyus hey, i know this has been covered before but i didn't find any real solutions when i searched, but i definitely could have missed something.

I've used a couple different ones. Autometer and Depoe racing. They both use the alternator for a signal. The Autometer goes on the outside of the alternator. The Depoe racing requires a wire from inside the alternator but it has a shift indicator.

Simpler=Better
PORTED HEAD

03-25-2013, 02:59 PM #3
It's really not that complicated, but I can't walk you through it because I haven't done it.

The stock trigger is a hall effect sensor. What that means, in a pin on the crank passes a sensor. The output from this is basically a switch that closes once every crank revolution.

So, you need a tach that will take a closing switch as the input signal, and outputs to a needle gauge.

Newbie-read this: Cheap Tricks
617.952-220k-Getting built up
larsalan I guess I need to look at this stupid ass drip shit. What you have to like mess with those elements on the pump? What a fucking hassle. then use some wire to hold the throttle open or some shit?
Simpler=Better
03-25-2013, 02:59 PM #3

It's really not that complicated, but I can't walk you through it because I haven't done it.

The stock trigger is a hall effect sensor. What that means, in a pin on the crank passes a sensor. The output from this is basically a switch that closes once every crank revolution.

So, you need a tach that will take a closing switch as the input signal, and outputs to a needle gauge.

larsalan I guess I need to look at this stupid ass drip shit. What you have to like mess with those elements on the pump? What a fucking hassle. then use some wire to hold the throttle open or some shit?

raysorenson
Superturbo

03-25-2013, 09:22 PM #4
I thought it was a VR sensor. Just 2 wires right? IDK if it would still work, I'm not a tach expert, but it's the difference between a square wave and a sine wave.
raysorenson
03-25-2013, 09:22 PM #4

I thought it was a VR sensor. Just 2 wires right? IDK if it would still work, I'm not a tach expert, but it's the difference between a square wave and a sine wave.

Simpler=Better
PORTED HEAD

03-26-2013, 09:06 AM #5
It might be something else then, I always thought it was hall effect. Okay maybe I don't know so much :p

Simpler=Better
03-26-2013, 09:06 AM #5

It might be something else then, I always thought it was hall effect. Okay maybe I don't know so much :p

jenyus
GT2256V

03-27-2013, 02:48 PM #6
Just talked to Dakota digital and they said that this will work on our 5cyl diesels with a gas aftermarket tach. I think I'll order one in the next month or two and see
http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.cfm/p...prd129.htm
jenyus
03-27-2013, 02:48 PM #6

Just talked to Dakota digital and they said that this will work on our 5cyl diesels with a gas aftermarket tach. I think I'll order one in the next month or two and see
http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.cfm/p...prd129.htm

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average