STD Tuning Engine 240d to turbo veggie project

240d to turbo veggie project

240d to turbo veggie project

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

louisyoung
Naturally-aspirated

02-23-2013, 11:48 PM #1
so I'm about 5 years into my to 240d to 5 cylinder normally aspirated project... been running on waste vegetable oil using a Craig Reece Plantdrive system....has been nearly trouble free and allot of fun running a 4 speed car like this....

I found a newly wrecked 300 turbo car today and bought it super cheap...

what would you guys recommend that I do before I put that turbo engine in front of that 4 speed?

what are the standard recommended upgrades I need to do ?

I have really enjoyed reading over this form for the past few weeks.....I appreciate all the good information you guys have given me.....however where do I begin on some simple waste gate modifications?

100 years ago when I use to fool with turbo Mopar front wheel drive cars wastegate modifications was a simple is aquarium valve bleeding off air....

where do you begin on these iron Mercedes engines and how much is safe boost on high mileage and unmodified?
louisyoung
02-23-2013, 11:48 PM #1

so I'm about 5 years into my to 240d to 5 cylinder normally aspirated project... been running on waste vegetable oil using a Craig Reece Plantdrive system....has been nearly trouble free and allot of fun running a 4 speed car like this....

I found a newly wrecked 300 turbo car today and bought it super cheap...

what would you guys recommend that I do before I put that turbo engine in front of that 4 speed?

I have really enjoyed reading over this form for the past few weeks.....I appreciate all the good information you guys have given me.....however where do I begin on some simple waste gate modifications?

100 years ago when I use to fool with turbo Mopar front wheel drive cars wastegate modifications was a simple is aquarium valve bleeding off air....

where do you begin on these iron Mercedes engines and how much is safe boost on high mileage and unmodified?

w123love
Stockish

02-24-2013, 01:10 AM #2
I suggest reading a bit more, all those questions have been answered many times over.

if it don’t blow black...take it back.

1982 300TDT 4 Speed 196K Standard Beige “VEGEWGN”. 300GD FW. Walbro FRC-8 Fuel Pump. ZadaTech LCD Boost, EGT, & Fuel Pressure gauge. Non-EGR Exhaust and Intake Manifold. 3/2 Valves gone. Soon to have Elsbett WVO conversion
1981 300D 314K Midnight Blue “The Blue Car”, Lovecrap system, owned 25 years+
1985 300TD White 198K “Betty White” Pure beauty

The VEGEWGN
w123love
02-24-2013, 01:10 AM #2

I suggest reading a bit more, all those questions have been answered many times over.

if it don’t blow black...take it back.

1982 300TDT 4 Speed 196K Standard Beige “VEGEWGN”. 300GD FW. Walbro FRC-8 Fuel Pump. ZadaTech LCD Boost, EGT, & Fuel Pressure gauge. Non-EGR Exhaust and Intake Manifold. 3/2 Valves gone. Soon to have Elsbett WVO conversion
1981 300D 314K Midnight Blue “The Blue Car”, Lovecrap system, owned 25 years+
1985 300TD White 198K “Betty White” Pure beauty

The VEGEWGN

Volker407
naturally aspirated

02-24-2013, 03:46 AM #3
(02-23-2013, 11:48 PM)louisyoung what would you guys recommend that I do before I put that turbo engine in front of that 4 speed?

How many miles on that engine?
rusty and beat-up or perfect shape?
was it run on WVO or diesel?
knocking and shaking?
.....?

Quote:....however where do I begin on some simple waste gate modifications?
the overload prevention switch will reduce power if you try to make too much boost (limitation starts at 2-3psi above stock setting). However, after all those years you can put the setting back to stock again, it is mostly lower than what Mercedes has set it to.

Quote:100 years ago when I use to fool with turbo Mopar front wheel drive cars....
You must be very old.... Big Grin Wink

Gruß
Volker
Volker407
02-24-2013, 03:46 AM #3

(02-23-2013, 11:48 PM)louisyoung what would you guys recommend that I do before I put that turbo engine in front of that 4 speed?

How many miles on that engine?
rusty and beat-up or perfect shape?
was it run on WVO or diesel?
knocking and shaking?
.....?

Quote:....however where do I begin on some simple waste gate modifications?
the overload prevention switch will reduce power if you try to make too much boost (limitation starts at 2-3psi above stock setting). However, after all those years you can put the setting back to stock again, it is mostly lower than what Mercedes has set it to.

Quote:100 years ago when I use to fool with turbo Mopar front wheel drive cars....
You must be very old.... Big Grin Wink

Gruß
Volker

louisyoung
Naturally-aspirated

02-24-2013, 11:22 AM #4
Chassis shows 222k....Engine starts right up and little to no smoke off a cold start. Run it up half throttle in idle and just a whif of white smoke so I called that water in the muffler.... It clatters a bit at idle and sounds like a touch of injector nailing...I assume from talking to the owner the valves have never been adjusted in the year or so he has owned it....seems to idle in the car w/out any real shake....

It was side swipped in an intersection....the fuel filter (the clear one on the lift pump) looks like it has grapejelly in it...But it right now is running diesel....Does not appear to have any mods for veg...

Could not easily get to the inlet on the turbo....Will try the "finger shake" method to see if the turbine is loosey goosey when cold asap....

This was the first generation MoPar turbos back in the Carrol Shelby days.... Right after the dinosaurs died off.... ; ) Had a 84 Turbo I Daytona..then a Non-Shelby Turbo II Shadow....Fun Fun Fun....!!
louisyoung
02-24-2013, 11:22 AM #4

Chassis shows 222k....Engine starts right up and little to no smoke off a cold start. Run it up half throttle in idle and just a whif of white smoke so I called that water in the muffler.... It clatters a bit at idle and sounds like a touch of injector nailing...I assume from talking to the owner the valves have never been adjusted in the year or so he has owned it....seems to idle in the car w/out any real shake....

It was side swipped in an intersection....the fuel filter (the clear one on the lift pump) looks like it has grapejelly in it...But it right now is running diesel....Does not appear to have any mods for veg...

Could not easily get to the inlet on the turbo....Will try the "finger shake" method to see if the turbine is loosey goosey when cold asap....

This was the first generation MoPar turbos back in the Carrol Shelby days.... Right after the dinosaurs died off.... ; ) Had a 84 Turbo I Daytona..then a Non-Shelby Turbo II Shadow....Fun Fun Fun....!!

Simpler=Better
PORTED HEAD

02-24-2013, 07:39 PM #5
Check my sig for performance stuff.

Before that valves, injector service, chain stretch correction, pump timing.

For the veggie setup you want a two tank system and FPHE

Newbie-read this: Cheap Tricks
617.952-220k-Getting built up
larsalan I guess I need to look at this stupid ass drip shit. What you have to like mess with those elements on the pump? What a fucking hassle. then use some wire to hold the throttle open or some shit?
Simpler=Better
02-24-2013, 07:39 PM #5

Check my sig for performance stuff.

Before that valves, injector service, chain stretch correction, pump timing.

For the veggie setup you want a two tank system and FPHE

Newbie-read this: Cheap Tricks
617.952-220k-Getting built up
larsalan I guess I need to look at this stupid ass drip shit. What you have to like mess with those elements on the pump? What a fucking hassle. then use some wire to hold the throttle open or some shit?

willbhere4u
Six in a row make her go!

02-25-2013, 03:30 PM #6
There should be a touch a tiny amount of play in the turbo shaft because it rides on oil there in so physical contact with a bearing when the engine is off and no oil pressur

1987 300SDL 6spd manual om606.962 swap project
1985 300td euro 5spd wagon running
willbhere4u
02-25-2013, 03:30 PM #6

There should be a touch a tiny amount of play in the turbo shaft because it rides on oil there in so physical contact with a bearing when the engine is off and no oil pressur

1987 300SDL 6spd manual om606.962 swap project
1985 300td euro 5spd wagon running

louisyoung
Naturally-aspirated

02-25-2013, 06:37 PM #7
(02-25-2013, 03:30 PM)willbhere4u There should be a touch a tiny amount of play in the turbo shaft because it rides on oil there in so physical contact with a bearing when the engine is off and no oil pressur

thanks for the reminder it has been quite a few years since I have dealt with turbo chargers
louisyoung
02-25-2013, 06:37 PM #7

(02-25-2013, 03:30 PM)willbhere4u There should be a touch a tiny amount of play in the turbo shaft because it rides on oil there in so physical contact with a bearing when the engine is off and no oil pressur

thanks for the reminder it has been quite a few years since I have dealt with turbo chargers

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average