STD Tuning Engine are there any OM616/617 heads with larger valves?

are there any OM616/617 heads with larger valves?

are there any OM616/617 heads with larger valves?

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

lpumb3
617 300sd

02-10-2013, 07:00 PM #1
if any of the old timers know , were there any differences ever in the size of the valves in these heads? older 4cyl maybe that still had the 10mm shaft with the bevel ?
any options for larger valves out there . ?
lpumb3
02-10-2013, 07:00 PM #1

if any of the old timers know , were there any differences ever in the size of the valves in these heads? older 4cyl maybe that still had the 10mm shaft with the bevel ?
any options for larger valves out there . ?

Simpler=Better
PORTED HEAD

02-10-2013, 10:19 PM #2
You can always get a machine shop to build it bigger. See what LS engine valves are available maybe?

Newbie-read this: Cheap Tricks
617.952-220k-Getting built up
larsalan I guess I need to look at this stupid ass drip shit. What you have to like mess with those elements on the pump? What a fucking hassle. then use some wire to hold the throttle open or some shit?
Simpler=Better
02-10-2013, 10:19 PM #2

You can always get a machine shop to build it bigger. See what LS engine valves are available maybe?

larsalan I guess I need to look at this stupid ass drip shit. What you have to like mess with those elements on the pump? What a fucking hassle. then use some wire to hold the throttle open or some shit?

ronnie
GT2559V

02-11-2013, 07:08 PM #3
Just remember the exhaust vales are sodium filled, so if you have it machined to fit larger you should also get sodium filled. these take heat better.
ronnie
02-11-2013, 07:08 PM #3

Just remember the exhaust vales are sodium filled, so if you have it machined to fit larger you should also get sodium filled. these take heat better.

lpumb3
617 300sd

02-11-2013, 10:03 PM #4
thanks guys , my concern was the valve stem bore , are the LS valves that bore/ ?
sodium filled , for some reason that popped into my head as a possible PITA. research Sadhmm.
is there even room in these heads ? .
lpumb3
02-11-2013, 10:03 PM #4

thanks guys , my concern was the valve stem bore , are the LS valves that bore/ ?
sodium filled , for some reason that popped into my head as a possible PITA. research Sadhmm.
is there even room in these heads ? .

Simpler=Better
PORTED HEAD

02-11-2013, 11:31 PM #5
Look in my build thread there are high res photos of the head.

You can have any competent machine shop make custom valve guides, they're just a bronze tube.

Simpler=Better
02-11-2013, 11:31 PM #5

Look in my build thread there are high res photos of the head.

You can have any competent machine shop make custom valve guides, they're just a bronze tube.

lpumb3
617 300sd

02-13-2013, 01:17 PM #6
went through the pics , it soesent look like there's to much room for more . tung lee can figure it out !
lpumb3
02-13-2013, 01:17 PM #6

went through the pics , it soesent look like there's to much room for more . tung lee can figure it out !

lgreeley83
Mr. Rumbles

02-13-2013, 04:13 PM #7
(02-11-2013, 11:31 PM)Simpler=Better Look in my build thread there are high res photos of the head.

At least a few times I've seen you mention "competent machine shop" lol where are you at? Someday I'll have something machined by you, don't know what!

PS sorry for the hijack

" straighten up that star on the grill, assholes."

lgreeley83
02-13-2013, 04:13 PM #7

(02-11-2013, 11:31 PM)Simpler=Better Look in my build thread there are high res photos of the head.

At least a few times I've seen you mention "competent machine shop" lol where are you at? Someday I'll have something machined by you, don't know what!

PS sorry for the hijack

Simpler=Better
PORTED HEAD

02-13-2013, 04:30 PM #8
Shit son, let me lay it down for you. Any fabrication shop with an old guy and a manual machine. Or an engine rebuilding shop that's an absolute mess with 10 spare blocks just laying around....those kind of places. The ones where the machinist wants to hear about your project. Also the baja shop at RIT, hard to find kids these days that will make crap from scratch though.

I can hold a .0005" tolerance, blah blah, you just have to take your time and have everything setup properly. OM616 knows what's up.

Bring that head over to Baltimore and I'll make what you need. I don't have a 606 head and glowplugs to measure so I can't tell you what's what. I do have chad's cracked 617a head in my back seat for traction, so I can get you any info on that ho.

Simpler=Better
02-13-2013, 04:30 PM #8

Shit son, let me lay it down for you. Any fabrication shop with an old guy and a manual machine. Or an engine rebuilding shop that's an absolute mess with 10 spare blocks just laying around....those kind of places. The ones where the machinist wants to hear about your project. Also the baja shop at RIT, hard to find kids these days that will make crap from scratch though.

I can hold a .0005" tolerance, blah blah, you just have to take your time and have everything setup properly. OM616 knows what's up.

Bring that head over to Baltimore and I'll make what you need. I don't have a 606 head and glowplugs to measure so I can't tell you what's what. I do have chad's cracked 617a head in my back seat for traction, so I can get you any info on that ho.

lpumb3
617 300sd

02-13-2013, 05:51 PM #9
As far as competent, his dad opened the shop like 80 years ago. not really a "race shop" though . so ill have to balance/line hone/etc else where . i think ill just have a nice cut done . your pics were great , the one where you could actually see the pre-chamber ports was nice . it looked like theirs not very much room to open the seats up for a bigger valve is all i meant.
i have to find the parts best suited/valves drop it off and he will make it happen . if there is room for another mm. if i was down in baltimore id bring it your way but im in MA . id buy that motor you put allt that work into Smile simpler
As far as a machine shop , im working on a Alda cap egr plate/blank , waste gate flange . a good friend of mine is helping me there . so as far as machining , i could only see having to cut/thread/dowel , longer valve stems (LS) fit new guides. as well as make new spring retainers and lock nuts . so competent there too , i can hand him anything and he could recreate it
thats re-engineering the valve train . benefits of lighter materials etc but lets be real for now , i was just hoping that some older merc had slightly larger valves with the same stems.
i try not to overload him with stuff as im not paying for machine time , just his when he has it.
lpumb3
02-13-2013, 05:51 PM #9

As far as competent, his dad opened the shop like 80 years ago. not really a "race shop" though . so ill have to balance/line hone/etc else where . i think ill just have a nice cut done . your pics were great , the one where you could actually see the pre-chamber ports was nice . it looked like theirs not very much room to open the seats up for a bigger valve is all i meant.
i have to find the parts best suited/valves drop it off and he will make it happen . if there is room for another mm. if i was down in baltimore id bring it your way but im in MA . id buy that motor you put allt that work into Smile simpler
As far as a machine shop , im working on a Alda cap egr plate/blank , waste gate flange . a good friend of mine is helping me there . so as far as machining , i could only see having to cut/thread/dowel , longer valve stems (LS) fit new guides. as well as make new spring retainers and lock nuts . so competent there too , i can hand him anything and he could recreate it
thats re-engineering the valve train . benefits of lighter materials etc but lets be real for now , i was just hoping that some older merc had slightly larger valves with the same stems.
i try not to overload him with stuff as im not paying for machine time , just his when he has it.

lgreeley83
Mr. Rumbles

02-13-2013, 06:03 PM #10
(02-13-2013, 04:30 PM)Simpler=Better Shit son, let me lay it down for you.

Aww snap! Theres got to be a secret society of you guys out there somewhere. Region quarterly meetings in a dark room, a lathe, and a slow chant. I don't have the means to be a member but I'd hang out form the night. Big Grin

Confused only thing I've ever cut is a rotor or drum working at the gas station in high school.

lgreeley83
02-13-2013, 06:03 PM #10

Aww snap! Theres got to be a secret society of you guys out there somewhere. Region quarterly meetings in a dark room, a lathe, and a slow chant. I don't have the means to be a member but I'd hang out form the night. Big Grin

Confused only thing I've ever cut is a rotor or drum working at the gas station in high school.

lpumb3
617 300sd

02-13-2013, 06:15 PM #11
(02-13-2013, 06:03 PM)lgreeley83

Right !, My friend is amazing , i wanna get a job sweeping floors to learn the machines,metals Smile
lpumb3
02-13-2013, 06:15 PM #11

(02-13-2013, 06:03 PM)lgreeley83

Right !, My friend is amazing , i wanna get a job sweeping floors to learn the machines,metals Smile

Simpler=Better
PORTED HEAD

02-13-2013, 09:45 PM #12
Practice practice. Little jobs help you learn, make some aluminum spacers, turbo adapters, etc.

Simpler=Better
02-13-2013, 09:45 PM #12

Practice practice. Little jobs help you learn, make some aluminum spacers, turbo adapters, etc.

83300d
GTA2056V

02-13-2013, 11:19 PM #13
Watching this closely as I was just talking to a machinist about bigger valves for mine.
83300d
02-13-2013, 11:19 PM #13

Watching this closely as I was just talking to a machinist about bigger valves for mine.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average