STD Tuning Engine om617 one time loss of oil??

om617 one time loss of oil??

om617 one time loss of oil??

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

aglicknmex
Naturally-aspirated

02-06-2013, 09:53 PM #1
My 617 is running great in the Toyota mini motor home. Lots of power.

On recent 10 mile trip I had engine oil all over the inside of hood, injection pump and side of head. Leak seemed to come from between IP and head. No oil on turbo side. Towed it home, cleaned, replace 4 qts oil and

NOW THERE IS NO OIL LEAKING OR SPRAYING!!

Drove the same route as before, about 10 miles. No leaks at all.

Guesses anyone? Could top of oil filter spray with high oil pressure
Gasket oil filter to filter housing?
How can it "heal" itself??

Info: 1000 miles on new head gasket, valve cover gasket new.
turbo drain gasket, orings replaced.
This post was last modified: 02-06-2013, 09:54 PM by aglicknmex.
aglicknmex
02-06-2013, 09:53 PM #1

My 617 is running great in the Toyota mini motor home. Lots of power.

On recent 10 mile trip I had engine oil all over the inside of hood, injection pump and side of head. Leak seemed to come from between IP and head. No oil on turbo side. Towed it home, cleaned, replace 4 qts oil and

NOW THERE IS NO OIL LEAKING OR SPRAYING!!

Drove the same route as before, about 10 miles. No leaks at all.

Guesses anyone? Could top of oil filter spray with high oil pressure
Gasket oil filter to filter housing?
How can it "heal" itself??

Info: 1000 miles on new head gasket, valve cover gasket new.
turbo drain gasket, orings replaced.

Simpler=Better
PORTED HEAD

02-06-2013, 10:02 PM #2
Did you check the oil cooler lines? They are only pressurized when the oil is hot.

Newbie-read this: Cheap Tricks
617.952-220k-Getting built up
larsalan I guess I need to look at this stupid ass drip shit. What you have to like mess with those elements on the pump? What a fucking hassle. then use some wire to hold the throttle open or some shit?
Simpler=Better
02-06-2013, 10:02 PM #2

Did you check the oil cooler lines? They are only pressurized when the oil is hot.

larsalan I guess I need to look at this stupid ass drip shit. What you have to like mess with those elements on the pump? What a fucking hassle. then use some wire to hold the throttle open or some shit?

aglicknmex
Naturally-aspirated

02-06-2013, 10:16 PM #3
(02-06-2013, 10:02 PM)Simpler=Better Did you check the oil cooler lines? They are only pressurized when the oil is hot.
Good Idea. Certainly worth checking ---The cooler lines run back and under the frame to the oil cooler, not forward like a stock set up. Dont think they could spray to between the IP and head, but one never knows.

Engine was quite cool when it leaked, early morning, coolant temp never above 175 t-stat temp. 2nd run was late in day and engine temp hotter, as I tried to get it warmed up pretty good.
aglicknmex
02-06-2013, 10:16 PM #3

(02-06-2013, 10:02 PM)Simpler=Better Did you check the oil cooler lines? They are only pressurized when the oil is hot.
Good Idea. Certainly worth checking ---The cooler lines run back and under the frame to the oil cooler, not forward like a stock set up. Dont think they could spray to between the IP and head, but one never knows.

Engine was quite cool when it leaked, early morning, coolant temp never above 175 t-stat temp. 2nd run was late in day and engine temp hotter, as I tried to get it warmed up pretty good.

Simpler=Better
PORTED HEAD

02-07-2013, 08:51 AM #4
Oh duh, check the plastic line that goes between the block and the IP. Just for funsies replace the IP gasket

Simpler=Better
02-07-2013, 08:51 AM #4

Oh duh, check the plastic line that goes between the block and the IP. Just for funsies replace the IP gasket

aglicknmex
Naturally-aspirated

02-08-2013, 08:28 AM #5
(02-07-2013, 08:51 AM)Simpler=Better Oh duh, check the plastic line that goes between the block and the IP. Just for funsies replace the IP gasket
Checked the line first thing- dang little plastic thing always worries me.
Not sure what to replace it with, there are no clamps

I ordered IP and filter gaskets yest, yeah its funnsies alright-- I pulled the IP once in the car, but I fixed the rear bracket so its not so hard. Also took out the plug on rear of the IP and made a stud to put into the hole. It keeps the pump from turning so it cant go out of time

Got it up on my lift so I can see now. Today will take a good hard look underneath. Any solutions for rebuilding the flex parts of cooler lines?. Ive already customized them, brazing and bending to fit the MH, so I wont buy new ones. Guess I will grind off the crimps and see about fitting some new hoses as a precaution.- even if they arent leaking. They look pretty old.......
aglicknmex
02-08-2013, 08:28 AM #5

(02-07-2013, 08:51 AM)Simpler=Better Oh duh, check the plastic line that goes between the block and the IP. Just for funsies replace the IP gasket
Checked the line first thing- dang little plastic thing always worries me.
Not sure what to replace it with, there are no clamps

I ordered IP and filter gaskets yest, yeah its funnsies alright-- I pulled the IP once in the car, but I fixed the rear bracket so its not so hard. Also took out the plug on rear of the IP and made a stud to put into the hole. It keeps the pump from turning so it cant go out of time

Got it up on my lift so I can see now. Today will take a good hard look underneath. Any solutions for rebuilding the flex parts of cooler lines?. Ive already customized them, brazing and bending to fit the MH, so I wont buy new ones. Guess I will grind off the crimps and see about fitting some new hoses as a precaution.- even if they arent leaking. They look pretty old.......

Simpler=Better
PORTED HEAD

02-08-2013, 08:34 AM #6
If you go with the hose & clamp method (which is fine in my book) be sure that you have flared ends and use "fuel injection" style hose clamps or small T bolt clamps(if they make them that small).

Regular worm gear clamps suck

Simpler=Better
02-08-2013, 08:34 AM #6

If you go with the hose & clamp method (which is fine in my book) be sure that you have flared ends and use "fuel injection" style hose clamps or small T bolt clamps(if they make them that small).

aglicknmex
Naturally-aspirated

02-08-2013, 09:03 AM #7
(02-08-2013, 08:34 AM)Simpler=Better If you go with the hose & clamp method (which is fine in my book) be sure that you have flared ends and use "fuel injection" style hose clamps or small T bolt clamps(if they make them that small).

I hate worm gears too, ugly and dont have any spring tension. Was thinking about some kind of crimp band for the oil lines. I think my well driller friend might have the tools......
aglicknmex
02-08-2013, 09:03 AM #7

(02-08-2013, 08:34 AM)Simpler=Better If you go with the hose & clamp method (which is fine in my book) be sure that you have flared ends and use "fuel injection" style hose clamps or small T bolt clamps(if they make them that small).

I hate worm gears too, ugly and dont have any spring tension. Was thinking about some kind of crimp band for the oil lines. I think my well driller friend might have the tools......

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average