STD Tuning Engine What happened to this injector

What happened to this injector

What happened to this injector

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Torkey
Dirty Diesel

01-28-2013, 11:27 AM #1
I've got a OM617 that has been idling rough when cold. Glow plugs were ok so I started looking at fuel.
I took out the injector in cylinder one and noticed that the injector housing looked burned and the pintle was blue from heat. It's kind of hard to see but there are some tiny scratches on the pintle.
I'm guessing that some dirt got into the fuel line and caused the failure but I really don't know so I wanted to put it out for comments.
Attached Files
Image(s)

Torkey
01-28-2013, 11:27 AM #1

I've got a OM617 that has been idling rough when cold. Glow plugs were ok so I started looking at fuel.
I took out the injector in cylinder one and noticed that the injector housing looked burned and the pintle was blue from heat. It's kind of hard to see but there are some tiny scratches on the pintle.
I'm guessing that some dirt got into the fuel line and caused the failure but I really don't know so I wanted to put it out for comments.

Attached Files
Image(s)

larsalan
Superturbo

01-28-2013, 12:02 PM #2
Looks like it got hot, right. Maybe bad heat transfer across the heat shield? Maybe torqued wrong or reused a shield?

Rusted out beat down 300d turbo 82' -- RIP
Nice body, tons of ridiculous mechanical issues - 300d turbo 82' /motor 85'
larsalan
01-28-2013, 12:02 PM #2

Looks like it got hot, right. Maybe bad heat transfer across the heat shield? Maybe torqued wrong or reused a shield?

Volker407
naturally aspirated

01-28-2013, 12:22 PM #3
Mercedes and Bosch literature clearly says:

"Use heat shield plates only once!"

If they are used a second time the heat shield function is gone, no matter if torque is right or wrong.

Gruß
Volker
Volker407
01-28-2013, 12:22 PM #3

Mercedes and Bosch literature clearly says:

"Use heat shield plates only once!"

If they are used a second time the heat shield function is gone, no matter if torque is right or wrong.

Gruß
Volker

Greazzer
Superturbo

01-28-2013, 01:56 PM #4
That bluing is indicative of too high heat. I suspect that if you cleaned it and tried re-using it, the pintle will be "stuck". Try some WD40, and holding the pintle's shaft, try to spin the pintle or body, doesnt matter. You should have a smooth spin, like a bearing. If not, it's really toast. However, all the comments are correct ... too high heat.

Also, how did your pintle get scratched up. That should be super smooth and no scratches. And the black is suggestive of too much fuel.
This post was last modified: 01-28-2013, 01:57 PM by Greazzer.

Ninth Year Anniversary with STD on 1-9-2020

visit:  www.dieselfuelinjector.guru

Project 2018: Really get the car finished -- Turbo OM617 greater than 175 MPH goal.

RED W123 - left Germany as 240D in 1982.  Full AMG body kit less rear apron, 2:65LSD, five speed Getrag 717.400, manual steering, read leather interior, manual brake conversion, electric water pump (EWP), and a bunch of other goodies ...
Greazzer
01-28-2013, 01:56 PM #4

That bluing is indicative of too high heat. I suspect that if you cleaned it and tried re-using it, the pintle will be "stuck". Try some WD40, and holding the pintle's shaft, try to spin the pintle or body, doesnt matter. You should have a smooth spin, like a bearing. If not, it's really toast. However, all the comments are correct ... too high heat.

Also, how did your pintle get scratched up. That should be super smooth and no scratches. And the black is suggestive of too much fuel.

Ninth Year Anniversary with STD on 1-9-2020

visit:  www.dieselfuelinjector.guru

Project 2018: Really get the car finished -- Turbo OM617 greater than 175 MPH goal.

RED W123 - left Germany as 240D in 1982.  Full AMG body kit less rear apron, 2:65LSD, five speed Getrag 717.400, manual steering, read leather interior, manual brake conversion, electric water pump (EWP), and a bunch of other goodies ...

Torkey
Dirty Diesel

01-28-2013, 10:45 PM #5
so here's the background story. The car is an endurance race car ( and I use the term race car loosely) In it's last race it was in, it was over heated and over rev'd. It wasn't pretty. Burned valves, damaged bearings and of course a blown head gasket. Obviously, the engine needed to be rebuilt. When I took the injectors out they were pop tested and surprisingly they all tested ok.

After the rebuild it just hasn't been running well. Hard to start, rough idle when cold and lots of white smoke from the exhaust.

Finally decided I needed to crack the injectors open and all of them are blued and don't move very smoothly in the nozzles. Dang! Those nozzles were less than a year old.

I've replaced most of them with some back up nozzles that I had and it seems to be running better.

Moral of the story do not over rev and over heat an OM617. Although I must say other engines would have sustained much more damage given the circumstances.
This post was last modified: 01-28-2013, 11:13 PM by Torkey.
Torkey
01-28-2013, 10:45 PM #5

so here's the background story. The car is an endurance race car ( and I use the term race car loosely) In it's last race it was in, it was over heated and over rev'd. It wasn't pretty. Burned valves, damaged bearings and of course a blown head gasket. Obviously, the engine needed to be rebuilt. When I took the injectors out they were pop tested and surprisingly they all tested ok.

After the rebuild it just hasn't been running well. Hard to start, rough idle when cold and lots of white smoke from the exhaust.

Finally decided I needed to crack the injectors open and all of them are blued and don't move very smoothly in the nozzles. Dang! Those nozzles were less than a year old.

I've replaced most of them with some back up nozzles that I had and it seems to be running better.

Moral of the story do not over rev and over heat an OM617. Although I must say other engines would have sustained much more damage given the circumstances.

larsalan
Superturbo

01-28-2013, 11:18 PM #6
Also, if you plan on flogging the shit out of a motor maybe a huge intercooler and huge radiator are in order.
Maybe a tstat delete? I dunno.

https://www.google.com/search?q=race+car...e&ie=UTF-8

myb a restrictor plate in place

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...earch=true
This post was last modified: 01-28-2013, 11:25 PM by larsalan.

larsalan
01-28-2013, 11:18 PM #6

Also, if you plan on flogging the shit out of a motor maybe a huge intercooler and huge radiator are in order.
Maybe a tstat delete? I dunno.

https://www.google.com/search?q=race+car...e&ie=UTF-8

myb a restrictor plate in place

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...earch=true

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average