STD Other Non MBZ Diesel I'd ride the heck outta this!

I'd ride the heck outta this!

I'd ride the heck outta this!

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

patracy
Naturally-aspirated

10-20-2008, 06:42 PM #1
Here's some pics and a blurb I wrote about it on the youtube video...

Here's a short video of a neat diesel motorcycle I saw at the Barber Vintage motorcycle show. It's built from a Yanmar 10hp diesel coupled to a variable displacement pump. Then out to hydraulic motors to turn the wheels. Looks are deceiving. There's a lot of aluminum parts to the bike. The bike only tips the scales at 300lbs. The bike can be ran in 2WD or single rear wheel drive. Speeds are about 25mph in 2wd, and 55-60mph in single wheel drive. Fuel estimates are around 100mpg! This is due to the highly efficiency of a hydraulic setup. This setup nets a 93% efficiency rating. The bikes suspension is a air shock setup. Increasing the pressure causes the bike to gain ground clearance. Also shortening the wheelbase for better handling manners. The bike was designed by Andy Wendt and built by Chris Self, Owner of Miracle Machine Works. 334-872-0121

[Image: IMAG0116.jpg]

[Image: IMAG0117.jpg]

[Image: IMAG0118.jpg]

[Image: IMAG0119.jpg]

[Image: IMAG0120.jpg]

[Image: IMAG0121.jpg]

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/v/h6NSC5YA2VE">http://www.youtube.com/v/h6NSC5YA2VE</a><!-- m -->

Actually I've already got a new 10hp yanmar engine sitting in the shop. I was going to go with a CVT belt setup, but this is more appealing to me!
patracy
10-20-2008, 06:42 PM #1

Here's some pics and a blurb I wrote about it on the youtube video...

Here's a short video of a neat diesel motorcycle I saw at the Barber Vintage motorcycle show. It's built from a Yanmar 10hp diesel coupled to a variable displacement pump. Then out to hydraulic motors to turn the wheels. Looks are deceiving. There's a lot of aluminum parts to the bike. The bike only tips the scales at 300lbs. The bike can be ran in 2WD or single rear wheel drive. Speeds are about 25mph in 2wd, and 55-60mph in single wheel drive. Fuel estimates are around 100mpg! This is due to the highly efficiency of a hydraulic setup. This setup nets a 93% efficiency rating. The bikes suspension is a air shock setup. Increasing the pressure causes the bike to gain ground clearance. Also shortening the wheelbase for better handling manners. The bike was designed by Andy Wendt and built by Chris Self, Owner of Miracle Machine Works. 334-872-0121

[Image: IMAG0116.jpg]

[Image: IMAG0117.jpg]

[Image: IMAG0118.jpg]

[Image: IMAG0119.jpg]

[Image: IMAG0120.jpg]

[Image: IMAG0121.jpg]

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/v/h6NSC5YA2VE">http://www.youtube.com/v/h6NSC5YA2VE</a><!-- m -->

Actually I've already got a new 10hp yanmar engine sitting in the shop. I was going to go with a CVT belt setup, but this is more appealing to me!

ForcedInduction
Banned

10-21-2008, 02:49 AM #2
Really. That is interesting. Those air cooled Yanmars don't even need (or have) a glowplug! The service trucks at work have one each for the air compressor and they start easily even in freezing weather with just the starter and compression release.

Is there a manual disconnect to stop parasitic losses of the front wheel turning the motor like a pump when its not powered?

I bet it would get 120mpg with a little bit smaller rider. Wink
ForcedInduction
10-21-2008, 02:49 AM #2

Really. That is interesting. Those air cooled Yanmars don't even need (or have) a glowplug! The service trucks at work have one each for the air compressor and they start easily even in freezing weather with just the starter and compression release.

Is there a manual disconnect to stop parasitic losses of the front wheel turning the motor like a pump when its not powered?

patracy
Naturally-aspirated

10-21-2008, 09:09 PM #3
ForcedInduction Really. That is interesting. Those air cooled Yanmars don't even need (or have) a glowplug! The service trucks at work have one each for the air compressor and they start easily even in freezing weather with just the starter and compression release.

I didn't take a pic of the front "disconnect". It's nothing more than valves to close the flow from the pumps lines, with another valve joining the two lines together. So basically you close the pump flow off to the front wheel, open the connection valve, and the front system becomes a closed loop. There is still a slight drag, but nothing more than what your brakes cause.

I'd suspect it would get a lot better mileage with a smaller rider, rear only wheel drive, narrower motorcycle size tires, and better aerodynamics.
patracy
10-21-2008, 09:09 PM #3

ForcedInduction Really. That is interesting. Those air cooled Yanmars don't even need (or have) a glowplug! The service trucks at work have one each for the air compressor and they start easily even in freezing weather with just the starter and compression release.

I didn't take a pic of the front "disconnect". It's nothing more than valves to close the flow from the pumps lines, with another valve joining the two lines together. So basically you close the pump flow off to the front wheel, open the connection valve, and the front system becomes a closed loop. There is still a slight drag, but nothing more than what your brakes cause.

I'd suspect it would get a lot better mileage with a smaller rider, rear only wheel drive, narrower motorcycle size tires, and better aerodynamics.

squozzer
Naturally-aspirated

05-20-2010, 01:28 PM #4
And here I was expecting a picture of Amanda Seyfried...

Diesel:
79 240D -- auto

Gas/Petrol/Benzin:
02 RAV4 -- daily driver
94 Jetta -- obsolete for 24 HOL -- heading back to the street
85 K5 Blazer -- 377 SBC, 144ci huffer
68 GTO -- slowly rusting in garage
squozzer
05-20-2010, 01:28 PM #4

And here I was expecting a picture of Amanda Seyfried...

Diesel:
79 240D -- auto

Gas/Petrol/Benzin:
02 RAV4 -- daily driver
94 Jetta -- obsolete for 24 HOL -- heading back to the street
85 K5 Blazer -- 377 SBC, 144ci huffer
68 GTO -- slowly rusting in garage

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average